Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

So big cabinets are HEAVY... Mesa 6x10

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by rockstarbassist, Aug 29, 2004.

1. rockstarbassist

rockstarbassist Banned

Apr 30, 2002
    The Woodlands, TX
    Endorsing Artist: HCAF
    Anyhow, I got my Mesa Diesel 6x10 in on Thursday, and had a chance to gig with it this weekend. Rolling it out the door, down a few 3" steps and stuff was all good, but DAMN- trying to load it into the bed of a truck? No way. The main reason is because for some reason, the only handles on the sides are about the same level as the top row of 10"s. Why, I have no idea. There's absolutely NO leverage that way; to pick it up and move it sideways or even just straight up onto a stage or something. So, I have some extra handles on order to put on the bottom part of the cab and we'll see if that helps some.

I knew it was going to be heavy, but this is just unreal... But, it does make up for itself in sound and tone, so I can't complain too much. I just like being pretty much self-sufficient in my rig, and be able to do it all by myself if I need to. Those Recto 4x12 cabs are LIGHT compared to this thing. Anyone know why the Diesel cabs are just THAT much heavier than the Powerhouses? Is it only the materials? It's crazy.

What's the loudest 4x10 on the market, if anyone knows? :) It might be in my not too distant future...

2. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    Avatar Speakers Endorsing Hooligan
    Whats with you people?

At school, I'm lifting Carvin PA speaker cabs with 2x15's 2x8's and a horn... By myself. Carrying it up a truck ramp quite often.

You are all such cry babies. If you are gonna complain about the weight, don't buy it. :p

;)

3. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    Another reason to try BEFORE you buy.....

-Mike

4. rockstarbassist

rockstarbassist Banned

Apr 30, 2002
    The Woodlands, TX
    How much does that Carvin weigh, though? :) Thing is, I used to have a Diesel 2x15 that weighed in around 115, and it really wasn't even that heavy from what I remember. I could easily lift it into the back of a van by myself. Of course, the handles on that thing were right in the center, making it a helluva lot easier to pick right up. Hopefully these new handles will do the trick. Also, I haven't worked out all summer... maybe now's the time to start training at school again... :)

Still, it's worth the hassle. Thing just sounds too damn good...

5. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    SEEEEEEEE?

6. rockstarbassist

rockstarbassist Banned

Apr 30, 2002
    The Woodlands, TX

Still, it's worth it... And hearing myself is hardly a problem anymore!

7. now take your cab and think of it in the road ready version. thats essentially what I've gigged with a few times with the old Road Ready 1000 Deisel cabs I've used. I weighed it once in the 14-160 pound range. got to the point that to load it it in my jeep I found it easiest to use one of our aluminum racing floor jacks(for cars). Just jacked the cab up high enoughtilted and pushed it into the back of my jeep. was a funny sight but a hell of a lot easier than trying to get it in with no assistance.

8. rockstarbassist

rockstarbassist Banned

Apr 30, 2002
    The Woodlands, TX
    That's actually not that bad of an idea. :) I think once I gig with it some more, I'll find some interesting ways to work it in and out of my truck and gigs. What really made me just go "Oh dammit!" was this weekend when we were playing outside, and the stage was easily 8-10ft. off the ground, meaning I had to get it up 7-8 steps. Was a LOT of fun. :)
    Yeah, I can just imagine what it'd be if it were RR equipped...

9. TheChariot

TheChariot

Jul 6, 2004
    Boston, MA
    I've never even played one before, but I'm gonna go ahead and guess that it's Schroeder. :D

10. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    They are heavier mainly because of how the cab is constructed. Those old Diesels have got ALOT of internal bracing in there, which contributes to why they sound so good. Also, the EV speakers are a little heavier than the new Powerhouse drivers. The new cabs are about 15% lighter than the Diesel series, and have more low end (but aren't as articulate). They are using a airplane type bracing, which cuts down on the amount of weight and still keeps them stiff.

I carried my old RoadReady 18" cab down 1 1/2 flights of stairs the other day. It weighs about 140-150. I weigh 125. I had no problems - learn how to properly carry it, instead of using HULK STRENGTH™.

11. geddy2

geddy2

Aug 29, 2004
    Southwest Michigan
    Thats just one of the features I like about my Ampeg 610, the built in skid rails on the back, I just lean it against the tail gate of my truck, pick it up from the bottom, and push it it. Mine ways 115 pounds.

12. Ditto above. Just go get some aluminum straps, flat bar, pvc rails or something, and screw/glue it to the back of the cabinet. Tilt it down onto your tailgate and then pivot it up by grabbing the wheels. It's all about mechanical advantage. I love my new cabs, but when I owned my Mesa 6x10, it was awesome. I can't believe I talked myself into selling it.

I put a small area rug in the back of my truck. I pull it out halfway, so the edge of the rug is touching the ground...do the pivot/lift thing, then push the whole shebang in. That kept me from having to modify the cabinet in any way. While unloading, you just pull the carpet out...which helps getting the stuff up by the cab, and you don't have to do any crawling.

13. The Bergantino 6x10 is under 100 pounds.

14. Hawkeye

Hawkeye Canuck Amateur

You should get yourself one of the new "Road-Buddies". It's saved me a small fortune in hernia surgery bills.

[​IMG]

The obligatory accessory for any gig-bag.

15. My back is cooked. I usually use an SWR 2x15, right around 100lbs. It's much easier to manage getting in and out of the car than a 90lb pig of a 4x10 at half it's size. It's about backing the car up to the incline of the driveway, rolling the cab down to the car, setting the cab against the car and lift up and shove in. (Keeping the back straight- lift with your legs!!)

16. rockstarbassist

rockstarbassist Banned

Apr 30, 2002
    The Woodlands, TX
    These are some great ideas!

I really wish I would've brought my rig home so I could mess with it this week and figure out some better ways to maneuver it in and out of my truck.
    That's a great idea about the rug- I definitely will have to try that out!
    BS- where are the handles located on your 1x18? That's really the only thing I REALLY hate about this cab- the cutout carrying handles are just way too high up for it to be carried easily. Over time I should figure it all out and get pretty efficient at moving it around.
    But as I said, the way this thing sounds MORE than makes up for the inconvenience of lugging it place to place. It's just, wow. Amazing. Everything I'd hoped it would be AND more! :)

17. Mike A

Mike A Supporting Member

Oct 3, 2002
    Kentucky
    I nearly swapped some gear for a Mesa Diesel 6x10 about a year ago... until I decided to check the weight. Lemme tell ya, that's one heavy sumbitch. I'm VERY happy with the Bergantino nv610 at 98 lbs (and a smaller footprint on stage to boot.)

18. rockstarbassist

rockstarbassist Banned

Apr 30, 2002
    The Woodlands, TX

I've heard that about those particular cabs. Loud, compact, and pretty lightweight for the size. I really like the 3x10+1x15 model. It's a great idea. But this just has the sound I love. It's awesome for everything I'm doing right now. I've heard the Berg's have more of the Ampeg/old school/vintage sound/vibe to them, which after playing Ampeg cabs in the past, really isn't my sound. I'd have to test one out for a good while before switching from anything but Boogie right now. :) Love it. Now all I need is my 2x15 and I'll be able to stack 'em and sonically own anyone, anywhere! :D

19. Mike A

Mike A Supporting Member

Oct 3, 2002
    Kentucky
    Oh, don't get me wrong.. I STILL considered making a swap for the Mesa for a while. I was using two 410's at the time, but the Diesel 610 blew them away tone-wise. The Bergantino could be described as Ampeg-like, I suppose, but it seems much more defined/clear/altogether rich and clean than the Ampeg classic cabs I used previously.

The cab you have is a great big ol' heavy box of pure tone. I just didn't want to lug it.

20. It's a shame most stores don't let you wheel a cab around the store.

Damn them