So-cal luthiers

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by Ian Hall, Jul 12, 2002.

1. Ian Hall

Ian Hall

May 31, 2002
    I am looking for a reputable luthier in southern california to possibly help me build a bass. I have a CNC mill, so the body cavities and all of that type stuff is no problemo. I would like to find a shop that I could come check out, see exactly how much hard work is involved, and probably have the neck built for me, since I'm not sure about this whole routing and truss rod issue. Anybody mind having me come in to their shop and bug them? If not, does anybody know of anyone who wouldn't mind?? I am in the Ontario/Ranch Cucamonga are, but am willing to drive a few hours.

2. SharkB8

May 29, 2002
    Hey, I lived in that area for about 25 years (have since moved to No. Cal...) from what I remember, Linc Luthier is in Upland, Hanewinckel guitars is in Cypress (off 605). You might also want to check out a local repair shop (Skip used to run a nice repair shop in Upland off 9th st, can't remember the name of his shop though...) and see if they have any independent luthiers who are not as widely known.......

Good luck...
  3. Bassic83

Jul 26, 2004
    Texas, USSA
    You could try talking to Kirk Sands down in Laguna Beach- you shouldn't mind going there, it's quite nice. His shop, when last I was there, was located on PCH, north of Laguna Canyon. He's primarily a guitar guy, but does excellent work- did a fabulous setup for me on one of my first basses. It went from a mangy cur to a purebred greyhound in one afternoon. If you prefer closer to your area, Steve Soest in Orange is a nice guy as well. Don't know if he builds from scratch, but he also did work for me in the late 80s.
  4. JSPguitars

Jan 12, 2004
    Grass Valley
    Isn't Mr. Carey Nordstrand down there somewhere?