Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

So Cal residents..

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Reverend G-Money, Mar 13, 2005.

1. hey you southern cali peeps, anyone having a helluva mosquito problem after this rainy season? I'm literally blocks from the beach (maybe 8) and we NEVER have these things here. I have been killing like 10-12 in our house daily. BIG ONES. we have no standing water on the property, but i do know a neighbor has a fountain.. could this be where they are coming from?

2. srxplayer

srxplayer

May 19, 2004
    Highland, CA
    Not if the fountain is moving water.

3. hmmm. ok, this is freakin wierd.. i've never seen mosquitos this close to the beach in San Diego. heck, i've only seen 'em a few times anyway!! i'm gonna hit webmd.com, but does anyone know if you are allergic to bees and get a mosquito bite will it have the same or similar effects?

4. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    Avatar Speakers Endorsing Hooligan

They shouldnt... mosquitoes dont inject anything into you like a bee would... it just sucks blood.

5. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Big ones? If they're bigger than a quarter-inch or so, they're crane flies, and they don't bite. When I'm not at Groom, I stay about 3 miles from the beach, near an estuary, and I haven't seen any yet. It's still a little early.

6. PeaceFrog

PeaceFrog

Aug 25, 2004
    Los Angeles, CA
    Yes, there are too many here as of late, they hang around the front door around the porch light and manage to make thier way into the house, I then become the exterminator, I'm a Dad !! that's my job.

7. Crane flies, eh? Kinda Daddy LongLeggs looking thingys but with wings and a bigger body? If that's what they are then that's what we got.. my girl has said she's got some bites tho... i'm con-freakin-fused and buggin out!!!

that was such a lame pun..... somebody's got a case of the "mondays" :rollno:

8. RG-M,,I am in Vista. Got those crane flies/mosquito hawk guys flying all around the place here.. Also the real mosquitoes are abound too but they don't seem to be biting yet. did you know that only the females bite?

Mike....Mosquitoes do actually inject stuff into you. that's the reason you get a ichy bump,, it's a ellergic reaction to the stuff (mosquito saliva) they inject into you... :ninja:

9. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
  10. actually i been having mosquito problems of my own but i dont live near the beach. I live in southeast los angeles. Weird cuz haven't had this problem before.