1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

So Call Me a Noob...

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Nick B., May 1, 2010.

1. Nick B.

Nick B.

Aug 11, 2009
    Canada
    ... No really, go ahead, I am one :p

But why is everyone dropping "CTS Pots with Orange Drop Caps" into their basses? What's the advantages of this mod? What would it sound like in a MIA P bass with Chromes?

Thanks

2. Hiya noob.

3. MooseLumps

MooseLumps Supporting Member

Nov 4, 2007
    Portland
    NOOBSAUCE!!!

It will not sound like a p unless it's a p. the cts pots are better quality than other cheap pots, and OJC are classic, so that much is retro.

Also, no electronics can duplicate the different nuances between string brands... and if they could, they would very likely not be passive.

4. Changing your pots/caps will not improve your tone.

The difference in sound between various capacitors is due to the variance in the actual values because manufacturing tolerance on capacitors is all over the place.
    Find two capacitors with the same actual (NOT rated!) capacitance, and for this application, they will sound the same, regardless of their composition.

As far as pots go, there can be differences in the mechanical quality, but the only difference in tone would be if the tapers were different. You might argue that a higher quality pot would give you a better taper, but that won't give you any difference in tone.

Don't waste your time changing out pots/caps unless you are looking to change the values.

5. Damn, beat me to it :p