Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

So, Can Bands Not Come Up With Anything On Their Own? Even Art?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by BassGod, Oct 28, 2005.

1. BassGod

BassGod

Jan 21, 2004
    I'd say the majority of bands on MTV today are bands who use the same formula for writing music as everyone else, and even the slightest derision from the formula leads to another annoying "sub-genre" that always seems to end in the suffix "-core". I'm sure many of you would agree, and say that this is old news.

But now it seems bands have taken the next step in copying each other. Not only are they copying the musical ideas of others, but now I've seen some new band who has decided to copy the logo of an older, better band.

Observe:

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Notice any similarities in the logo? It's not just a subtle similarity that few would take notice of, it's a blatant copy of the logo of a band that's been around for over twenty-five years. I mean, look at the 'D'! It's the exact same! You'd think any rock musician would have enough respect not to copy the logo of one of it's most respected bands (well, metal is a form of rock music).

Anyways, I just thought I'd vent about the lack of creativity, originality, and substance in popular music that has led some bands to sink as low as copying artwork. And I'll bet that millions of kids won't even notice, and I'm sure a few will think that Iron Maiden in fact copied this "Hedley" band.

Maybe I'll just give up trying to fight MTV. I'm off to buy the latest Hilary Duff album, with that song that sounds the same as all of her other songs, which are totally cool and original.

Discuss(?)

Graeme :bassist:

2. Kelly Coyle

Kelly Coyle Supporting Member

Nov 16, 2004
    Mankato, MN
    Maybe it's homage.

(I play nerdcore.)

3. fr0me0

fr0me0

Dec 7, 2004
    Winnipeg Canada
    unless its a maiden tribute band you have no right to to use that font.

4. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    Exactly. Damn thieves.

5. and anyways, what ever happened to looking at the camera?

6. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    Are you seriously watching MTV looking for good, original music? If so, then you are a glutton for punishment and are liable to be waiting a long, long time.

7. he's got a point...the majority of the music i hear on MTV are only there because the record companies want to make a quick million

8. Kelly Coyle

Nov 16, 2004
    Mankato, MN
    Actually, if I just had to guess, I bet the logo typeface is something you can buy from Adobe or somebody -- and both Iron Maiden and Hedley (whomever they are) bought it. Graphic artists have books and books of the stuff (and discs and discs). So maybe it's just that they used the same display face.

9. They started using that font on their album covers before Adobe was even in business.

10. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Ontario
    I'd hazard a guess that maybe it's some sort of homage.

11. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    I'm sure Iron Maiden weren't the first people ever to use that font. It no more belongs to them than the umlaut over the O in Blue Oyster Cult belongs to them.

Besides, show me a band who doesn't steal ideas from other bands and music and I'll show you a band that doesn't exist. Everyone steals. The Beatles were fond of telling people they were the best thieves in the business. And they were.

12. BassGod

BassGod

Jan 21, 2004
    For the record, I don't go to MTV for good music, because I know where to go for that. I just think that copying artwork from a famous band is crap, and what's even more backwards is that like I said, a lot of kids will probably think Maiden copied this watered-down pop rock band straight from a third place finish at Canadian Idol.

Also, I didn't even hear of this band from MTV, some girl at my school was wearing a Hedley shirt, and I noticed the font. I too assumed it was some sort of tribute to Maiden, so I Googled them, and found out otherwise.

So if defending originality in music is whining, then I guess I'm a whiner. Or maybe it's that I'd like to see music return to what it once was: an espression of an artist, and not a cash grab.

Graeme

13. Kelly Coyle

Nov 16, 2004
    Mankato, MN
    The typeface books were around long before computers.

14. BassGod

BassGod

Jan 21, 2004
    The artwork was originally made by artist Derik Riggs, it came from no book.

Graeme

15. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Ontario
    Now that you've been suitably offended that a barely-known Canadian rock band has somehow destroyed one of the most lasting legacies in metal, are you going to understand that this is nothing new? That it's been happening all over the place, for a long time?

16. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    LOL Aaron! Yes, it does seem quite a shock when you first discover how everyone rips off someone in order to make their art. But then you realize, hey, I can do it too! And that's when the real fun of making music begins!

17. The plot thickens...a quick read through the Iron Maiden forum and i found that the font is called "Metal Lord". It appeared earlier in posters for the David Bowie movie "Man Who Fell to Earth" (1976). Googled it and found a German-language poster for the movie with that font on it.

18. BassGod

BassGod

Jan 21, 2004
    I didn't say they destroyed them, and I knew their had been rip-offs in music, I guess this just jumped out at me for some reason. I suppose I'd never seen (or at least noticed) such an obvious copy.

Graeme

19. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    Music is the expression of the artist. No one is holding a guns to those guys heads and making them play what they choose to. If you don't know those four men personally, I'd say you are in no position to guess at the band's motives.

20. LiquidMidnight

LiquidMidnight

Dec 25, 2000
    I mean no disrespect, but if you're getting indignant over something so asinine, I'd hate to see you get indignant over something worthwhile.

I have no idea who this Hedley band is, but Maiden was here way before them, and chances are that Maiden will be here long after them.