Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

So, car wrecks suck a lot.

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by freshmeat1989, Sep 17, 2004.

1. I posted this on Harmony Central too, but wanted to post it here to hear ya'lls opinions on first cars, Firemen and Emergency Services (bless them all), etc.

Background:

My friend Charlie just got a 5.0 Mustang GT as a first car (BAD Idea? I think so). This week at school we are supposed to be playing our rivals, Wade Hampton, so we have a special week with all these events. My sister is a cheerleader and all the cheerleaders have to dress up like boys, so she spent the night with some cheerleaders to get dressed up. Charlie lives nearby. This morning they are giving me a ride to school. Currently in SC we are getting light rains from the hurricanes.

The Rest:

Ok, so Charlie and his brother Joseph pick me up, and the roads are all wet, and we start rushing to school. Charlie has NO idea the full potential of that Mustang. To attest to that (besides for the whole wreck), before the wreck, we're goin down the road and he spins the wheels and we fishtail off to one side, which I swear is the coolest thing ever at the moment. So we keep on goin, and we turn onto this road that cuts through this neighbor hood by our school, which at the beginning slopes down and comes back up real fast, and has water at the middle, and Charlie gives it too much gas on the way up. As some people know, V8 power + Rear Wheel Drive + fast acceleration + slick roads = not cool at all. We start fishtailing so bad that one minute we are facing one way, and the nex we are facing the total other (what i think of is an Olympic Slalom Skier). We run off the road and I see a tree ahead of us, and I wasnt sure if we were gonna hit it. Well, we do, and it hits the passenger front quarter panel, and I found out later that we did a complete 360. I just sit there in the back seat, really still, assessing myself for injuries, but Charlie and Joseph climb out the window really fast, which suprises me. My hair is stuck on something, which is the place where you hang hangers, and I rip it off, and my head is bleeding profusely. Blood is streaming all over my face. I manage to get myself into the front seat to try and get out, but my legs hurt and I can't manage to get myself out of the window. I look out of the window, and it's like a movie. Charlie is on his back, rolling from side to side and yelling from pain, and Joseph is sitting up, and I see a HUGE gash on one of his feet. I tell them to stay calm, and everythings gonna be ok, and people start coming out of their houses, tellin us to stay still, and me not to move. The Fire Departmen come, and they come talk to me, and have to cut the door open with The Jaws of Life to get me out, and they rotate me onto a stretcher. Tape my head down, neck brace, the works, so where I cant frickin move a frickin muscle. Oh well, Neck and Back precautions, I understand. We get into the Ambulances (Ambuli?) and they give me an IV, check my vitals, and we are goin to the hospital. They lay me on a bed, taped down and all, and I'm sittin like this for at least an hour. I can hear Joseph and Charlie cryin and yellin, but I'm silent. The doctor comes to our rooms, checks us out, gives us rectum exams (WHY?), and we start going into X-Rays. Charlie goes first, takes forever, and all the while I'm still on the rock frickin hard stretcher thing. I go into X-Rays, and the Joseph goes into X-Rays. All this happens, and then there's a whole bunch of waiting. Turns out, Charlie has a broken Clavicle (snapped in half), a broken and dislocated thumb, a broken toe, and has to have stitches by his eye. Joseph, has two get two huge gashes stitched up, and I get ten staples in my head, and have a jammed hip. They give me Motrin (not knowing I haven't eaten all day), and say I can go. I get up, visit Charlie and Joseph, start feelin sick, and go throw up. I finally get to the car, and me and my dad get Taco Bell. I get home, go to bed, sleep for two hours, and some relatives come visit, and a LOT of people call my cell phone asking how I am. All that goes by, and now its 10:30, and some close friends just left. I've been wanting to tell people this all day.

Lessons Learned:

Seat belts are cool. V8 Mustangs as a first car are not. Although the Wow factor is there, theres nothing Wow about hitting a tree. Although I used to think gettin in a wreck would be cool and exciting, I see how stupid and naive I was.

Man, I will never forget the sound the car made when it hit the tree, and the force of it.

Thanks a lot for listenin you guys.

OH! And, I have a newfound respect for the Emergency system. Fire Departments, Hospitals, everything. These people TRULY do not get paid enough.

2. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    Well, I'm happy your all alive! Lesson learned I guess. Rear wheel drive is uncommon in most of todays commuter cars, it can take a bit to get used, especially to in the rain. Speedy recovery!

3. fatbassjazzer

fatbassjazzer

Feb 27, 2004
    ATL
    I hope you and your buddies feel good. And yes, seatbelts are cool. I know four people who got in a really bad wreck and the one guy who wasn't wearing a seatbelt was ejected and killed. He was only 17. My mom is a nurse, so I've heard all the seatbelt talks and they certainly are true.

4. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    Speedy recovery to both you and your friends. It's too bad that anyone had to get hurt, but it is great that it was not worse than it was. Too many times in accidents like this, people come out a lot worse than what you guys did.

Giving a young person without the knowledge, experience, and know-how to handle a high performance car a Mustang GT is not a very bright move, IMHO. This happens all too often, even up here in my neck of the woods.

5. Steve

Steve

Aug 10, 2001
    FWIW, you get a rectal exam ina trauma injury because it's the fastest way to check for internal bleeding in the lower GI tract. Spincter tone is also a good gauge of exactly how unconcious an unconcious person is.

True story:
    I was doing clinical time at University Medical Center Trauma Center in Florida for my paramedic license.
    In comes a female accident victim unconcious. Clothing gets cut of and lo and behold it's a guy in drag. He gets the standard rectal exam and he stirs a little and mumbles,

"Jimmy, is that you?"

6. thanks for sharing your story,just be glad you and your pals are ok...once I read the blood from the head part I was thinking you were in big trouble.

7. mikemulcahy

mikemulcahy

Jun 13, 2000
    The Abyss
    Glad no one was seriously injured, could have been much worse. BTW sphincter tone is also a quick indicator of a spinal injury as well.

Mike

8. Frank Martin

Frank Martin Bitten by the luthiery bug...

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    Me too... Glad you are ok or at least not so seriously injured or dead, and hope you all learned the lesson from that...

9. Frank Martin

Frank Martin Bitten by the luthiery bug...

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    You be no Italiano to speak Italiano, capito? ;) :p
    Also, Moduluses are not Moduli

10. Selta

Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    Total fanboi of: Fractal Audio, AudiKinesis Cabs, Dingwall basses
    Glad to hear you're OK, along with your friends as well. Have a speedy recovery!

Going against the current, I'd have to vote that any V8 as a first car's not a bad idea - if the driver can handle it! My first car was an '88 Trans Am, 350 (5.7L) V8 through a 5 speed manual. Never wrecked it, had to sell due to college though :(. Of course, before I got it, I was driving tractors, quads, dirtbikes, go karts and the such for 12ish years. If whoever gets the car gets it out of their head that it's cool to burn off the rear tires (if they can't seem to grasp that, make them pay for the new ones...), then it'll be just like anything else.

Ray

11. That's true. This kid definately couldn't handle it (as you can see by my story). He would turn and hit the gas with what he thought was normal pressure, and would spin the wheels. Also, when we were riding in the car before the wreck, they were telling me about turning, and giving it to much gas, and totally spinning out. At the time I thought that was cool, but not anymore, pure stupidity.

12. Mobay45

Mobay45 The artist formerly known as "Big Daddy"

Apr 28, 2004
    Irving, TX
    I hope you and your buddies have a speedy recovery.

I've worked in body shops for over 20 years and it still amazes me how much damage is done to a car when it hits a tree. Kind of leaves you in awe of how powerfut nature can be.

13. Probably still better than my bass tone.

Best of luck to you meat, and a speedy recovery to you.

Or else. :ninja: :mad:

14. I just got back from lookin at the car and all I can say is WOW. It is absolutely totaled. I'll try and get some pics up of it soon.

15. Ahh, the joys of hiting trees in cars......my dad ocne went through the windscreen of an old style mini when his friend hit a tree, but he came out of it with only minor injuries. Hope you make a full recovery soon.

16. Speedy recovery to you and your friends.

Always remember though, it could have been worse. You all could have been killed...

17. Frijoles Negros

Frijoles Negros

Mar 21, 2004
    Ok, now that we know youre not seriously injured, Id like to say that the above story is friggin hilarous.

18. Dude, even if I was seriously hurt, that story is still friggin hilarious.

19. HUGE PICS! (sorry)

EDIT: Ok maybe not so huge.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

^ My hair

EDIT: Posted the same pic twice, Osama

10 times worse than I thought. We are so lucky.

20. Sh!!!!!!!!t! Wow...thats crazy! I cant see your hair...