1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

So Close I can almost taste it.

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by durarl, Apr 24, 2009.

1. durarl

durarl

Oct 29, 2007
    Between my dad’s work shop and my friend’s garage, I have spent the better part of a year working on a bass, and I only have the clear coat, and the fingerboard left to do. So far, it has gone together like a dream, and I don't want to mess it up.

I made a fretless 4 string with a rosewood fingerboard. I plan on using flatwounds. Do I need to finish the fingerboard with anything? I see a lot of people praising Epoxy, but is that necessary with flatwounds? Is there a simple finish that I can use to keep the board clean, and still have it be sturdy enough for flatwounds?

Thank you guys for all of your help so far.

2. stflbn

stflbn

May 10, 2007
    Nashville
    All lies unless you provide photo's of your work. Also helps people to best give suggestions.

3. vbasscustom

vbasscustom

Sep 8, 2008
    i would go with epoxy anyway. rosewood is very soft as is easily marred by strings so epoxy is your nest bet, even with the flats

4. eleonn

eleonn

Aug 24, 2006
    Lima - Perú
    ...as they say ...no pic, no bass!

5. Epoxy is hard, it also make the tone very bright. If that is what you want, epoxy is a great finish. One advantage to an unfinished rosewood, if you use flats, it will probably be several years before you see string damage on the wood. At that point, you can flat sand the fretboard and be back to normal.

6. durarl

durarl

Oct 29, 2007
    Sorry guys, I don't own a digital camera, so there will not be pics for a while. I am not looking for a bright sound, so I don't really want to go with Epoxy if I can avoide it. Is there anything I can use to seal the wood while still keeping a warm sound?

7. elpezpr

elpezpr

Feb 7, 2008
    PR
    No pics...No Bass!

8. vbasscustom

vbasscustom

Sep 8, 2008
    use your laZer viZion (TM) to take a picture, and then use your USB cord, that should be attached just above the left nipple to transfer the pictures onto your computer.

9. DerHoggz

DerHoggz I like cats :| Banned

Feb 13, 2009
    Western Pennsylvania
    Above the left nipple?

Mine must be a different model because its 1 1/4" above and 5/16" to the right of my navel.

I can't seem to find the serial number, is it older or newer?

10. vbasscustom

vbasscustom

Sep 8, 2008
    older. they didnt start putting them on the nipple until about 2001.