Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

So close, yet so far away.

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Brad Barker, Feb 20, 2003.

1. Brad Barker

Brad Barker Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2001
    berkeley, ca
    A little over a year ago, a semi-friend whom I had known approached me to join his band. That weekend, I went over to the rehearsel warehouse, and I joined.

At that time, the band I'd joined had the following members: the drummer (the one who had approached me), a guitar player, another guitar player, a singer.

This singer was terrible. We played a show after a month, and the non-voice-instrument members (myself included) decided to toss him from the band.

We rehearsed a few more months singer-less, then the drummer and I decided to oust one of the guitar players. (no hard feelings; he came to our last rehearsal just last week to hear us.)

Anyway, we were desperate for a singer. We (the three of us now) had been singerless for months. Somehow, the drummer found a twenty year old guy in June.

This singer rehearsed with us for about a week. Then he got arrested.

Fast forward to the last few weeks.

We finally found a kid who we thought was "the one." He had a great voice and wasn't a convict. He was a little difficult to get a hold of, but I was used to that (b/c of the drummer...).

He went to a few of our practices, and we gave him our most recent recording so he can write songs whenever he can. The guitar player would relay news from the singer to me just about every day.

"Matt (singer) said that he has our songs memorized."

"Matt said that he has written some lyrics."

and the like.

Over the past two weeks, we were itching to get us together and work on the melody lines together and stuff so that we would have all of our songs (13+) finalized.

We even went so far as to try to get organized at my house this past Tuesday. The singer never showed because of some form of miscommunication.

Nevertheless, I attempted to try to get something going on yesterday, Wednesday. No avail. Singer wasn't around.

Today, the guitar player tells me in sixth hour that Matt, the singer, has quit.

No more. After taking the time to write lyrics to songs he said that he really liked. All for Nothing.

I really don't know what to do.

We are back at square one: not knowing what to do about finding a singer.

The only one who would've really worked out with us won't be.

I'm really close to finally throwing in the towel. I'd hate to give up on a band that has so many songs. We'd get so far if only we had a decent frontman. But apparently, we weren't meant to ever get outside the frickin' warehouse.

2. have any of you non-voice guys thought of singing also? it'd be worth a shot if you haven't tried yet.

3. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Brad, just so you know, Cookie Monster is available, and does do weddings and funerals. ;):D

If nothing else, keep the band going to keep your music skills sharpened. There's a singer out there somewhere (probably somewhere in South Dakota or French/Canadia). Just gotta look, beg, plead, and maybe try and sing. Hey, you're Cat Stevens, remember? Make the most of it, my furry friend!

4. Floyds right, Im in a screamo/hardcore 3 piece, and we didnt really have any options for a singer so jokingly I screamed warsaw by joy division, and now I do most of the singing.

5. Unless one of you can actually sing really well, don't step in for lack of finding someone else.

I was in the same position, going through a bunch of singers and miscommunications and all that crap, and we finally had our rhythm guitarist take over singing duties. At the time he seemed pretty good, a year later it feels like our lack of a true vocalist is holding us back from being something great but we can't really get rid of him.

6. Give it a shot yourself. You may or may not like it, but you need to try. IMO.

7. Brad Barker

Apr 13, 2001
    berkeley, ca
    yes, we have thought about it.

the guitar player can sorta sing, but not very strong, kinda like nicoli's situation. besides, he's really ashamed of his voice. he wouldn't let me post mp3s of two songs that we recorded with him singing nor does he allow me to give anyone the cd we burned with those mp3s.

and i can't sing.

remember, we think we have pretty good music and want a singer who is equally as good (if not better!). we already have kicked out one singer who wasn't any good. why should we be involved with another one who sucks?

8. Brad Barker

Apr 13, 2001
    berkeley, ca
    I think there are two dozen inside-jokes in this post.

9. Brad Barker

Apr 13, 2001
    berkeley, ca
    that works perfectly for you since you are playing screamo/hardcore.

but finding someone who can do our genre(s) will be a bit more difficult.

the guitarist told today a friend who is big into the local scene (manager, etc.) to keep a look out for a singer for us. the qualifications? "no whiners or screamers."

of course, that is about 99.9% of the teenage- band population in this city.

I'm crossing my fingers. :rolleyes:

10. Does the singer have to be male?

From the experience I have (not much:) ) it was always easier to find a female rather than a male singer.

Just a thought.

Mike

11. jasonbraatz

jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA

[sexist comment]

plus, then you have something REAL nice to look at when your on stage instead of your fretboard. :D

[/sexist comment]

12. Hategear

Hategear Workin' hard at hardly workin'.

Apr 6, 2001
    Appleton, Swissconsin
    Dude, I feel your pain and I know your sorrow. I have been trying to put together an all-original rock band since last Christmas, but no one is interested unless detuned guitars are involved and the singer doesn't have to actually sing, just scream like a wounded bee.

Good luck, buddy. I wish I could say it gets easier, but after 7 years of thumping away at my instrument, I'm not that much farther ahead than when I started either.

13. Brad Barker

Apr 13, 2001
    berkeley, ca
    D'oh! I keep on forgetting that all you guys know is what I tell you.

My history is very, very abridged.

After our second singer got arrested, we still made attempts to find a singer. We posted wanted ads in two music stores.

The ad was as follows:

"Singer wanted for original rock band, Syzygy. Influences include Incubus, 311, and the Chili Peppers."

The daughter of the owner of one of the stores responded after a week or so.

the guitar player and i, after much scheduling with the girl (a few years older than we are) finally got a chance to meet her. her friend and she drove us around town, and she did a little singing for us at a beach at night.

Unfortunately, she knew no material from the bands that we posted as our influences. apparently, all that she knew about us was that we needed a singer. nevermind the style. :rolleyes: it would've been like jewel fronting incubus if she had joined us.

of course, she didn't get the spot.

[edited for misunderstandings :oops:]

14. Brad Barker

Apr 13, 2001
    berkeley, ca
    sorry to hear that.

but i hate to tell you this...i kinda have a back-up plan. see, my best friend is a great guitar player and can sing very well. thing is...he's on the other side of florida at the moment. but college...

at least i have that to look forward to.

i still wish that i can get my current group...somewhere. anywhere. i have about a year left with them. if we aren't famous by the time i leave my house for gainesville, it's game over with them and on to greener pastures.

15. ive been looking for a drummer for a year and a half, i havent even come by anybody close to what would work! its really getting to me, i dont want to look for a vocalist until we get the drums, but jeez its really frustrating, i wont give up though, because i really want to make it work, i think i might be too young to find many people iterested in recording/producing/composing our own music and the whole deal, im about to turn 16 in a few weeks, so its pretty rare to find that much determination, and i live in a extremly small area, dam bad luck:mad:

16. Hategear

Hategear Workin' hard at hardly workin'.

Apr 6, 2001
    Appleton, Swissconsin
    That was terrible.

17. Brad Barker

Apr 13, 2001
    berkeley, ca
    whoops! it was only in response to jason's purposely sexist comment. :oops:

18. Brad Barker

Apr 13, 2001
    berkeley, ca
    finding a good drummer is very difficult. in fact, finding any non-guitar-playing musician is fairly tough in a small town. being bassists, we mainly have trouble finding drummers and people who can sing.

good luck! :bassist:

19. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX

Actually, drummers aren't that hard to find here. What's hard is finding people who are willing to put in the hours, and make the commitment. No one here really wants to make music. They want to be in a band.

20. Brad Barker

Apr 13, 2001
    berkeley, ca
    touche.

yeah, a number of the kids here (as i'd expect anywhere else) are more into the social aspect, the ability to say to girls, "yeah, i'm in a band."

what i like my guitar player and drummer is that we are very concerned about the quality of our music and performance (should any circumstance provide itself for us to demonstrate our preparedness :meh: ). and we thought we found someone equally concerned and interested about making music with us, but... no.