1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

So completely unfair (beer content)

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Ben Lesser, Feb 28, 2008.

1. Bryan316

Bryan316 Banned

Dec 20, 2006
    Detroit
    Let's mug him.

HAH! Get it? Mugs? Beer mugs? You know?

Bah....

2. Its ok, if they give him an unlimited supply, his liver will probably pack in by the end of the year :p

3. kevteop

kevteop

Feb 12, 2008
    York, UK
    Hmm. Looks like he's won free American beer, poor guy.

:ninja:

4. He'll be fine. We don't export the good beer. Check out the brewery's selection and you'll find they offer a fine selection of ales and lagers. ;)

5. +1

Im sure you guys find it nice, but come over and try some English and Scottish ales some time ;)

6. Enough of the American beer bashing, Bud Light isn't all we have to offer. I live on a steady diet of American microbrews, homebrews, and a couple imports like Moretti lager, Belhaven Scottish, some rauchbiers, etc.

7. I have come over there and do enjoy the ales. I'm also a brewer myself and can tell you with confidence they are not any better, they are simply different. Bashing American beer is very 80's and reflects ignorance. In the early 90's the US underwent no less than a brewing revolution and the variety, quality, and amount of different beers here is staggering.

8. Baryonyx

Baryonyx Banned

Jul 11, 2005
    Marathon Man
    +1

Don't expect his free beer to exceed that of the recommended weekly intake of units. Otherwise, the brewer wouldn't be encouraging responsible drinking.

9. +1

10. Ok, I'm not taking guff from a country that specializes in skunky beers.

11. Mark Wilson

Mark Wilson Supporting Member

Jan 12, 2005
    Toronto, Ontario
    Endorsing Artist: Elixir® Strings
    Ever had Keiths? I approve of that.
    Other stuff like Canadian is pisswater.

12. CrazyArcher

CrazyArcher

Aug 5, 2004
    Israel
    Hahaha, that's what I though too! :D
    What I seek in beer is a distinct character, and American beers tend to lack it. Well, probably there are small breweries that produce high-quality stuff in the US, and of course it would be different from European beer due to different water, different hops etc, but in general for me Czech dark beers, Scotch ales and Irish stouts are The Thing.

Lol this made me notice that I have a bottle of real Budweiser standing on my desk, and it's still untouched...

13. Throw that swill out and grab a Budvar.

14. Unrepresented

Unrepresented Something Borderline Offensive

Jul 1, 2006
    San Diego, CA
    The only time I have consumed any of the three large American brewers (Bud, Coors, Miller) in the last few years was at occasions when it was the only choice available, and even that was because there was family around that needed to numbed away by the sweet trancendence of alcohol.

America has some great breweries here, some are gaining market share like Sam Adams, while others are more regional like Stone (SD's finest local brewery).

I had a really, really clean wheat beer last night by Widmer Brothers "W'08" like drinking Sapporo with a less pissy body, good folks outta Oregon who do some great stuff IMO.

I think it's fair to say that most of the best known international brands are hardly the best that their respective country produces. US is hardly the exception.

15. CrazyArcher

CrazyArcher

Aug 5, 2004
    Israel
    That's what I meant there! :)

Sure thing. Speaking for European crap, Carlsberg, Heiniken and Tuborg are among the worst things I've ever drunk. Industrial beer isn't beer.

16. Pilgrim

Pilgrim Supporting Member

This may be unfair to all of you, but I live in Fort Collins, Colorado, a town of about 120,000 and home of:

The New Belgium brewing company:
    http://www.newbelgium.com/index.php

The O'Dell Brewing company:
    http://www.odellbrewing.com/home.aspx

The Fort Collins brewery:
    http://www.fortcollinsbrewery.com/home.html

And the always-estimable Coopersmith's Pub, with 14 of their own microbrews on tap:
    http://www.coopersmithspub.com/

So many excellent brews, so little time......

(We shall not mention the Anheuser-Busch macrobrewery on the north end of town, but I'll admit they do have purty hosses.)

17. I think he might have actually been meaning budvar?

18. msquared

msquared

Sep 19, 2004
    Kansas City
    That's not beer. That's flavored water.

And don't bag on Canadian beer. All of the Guinness consumed in America is brewed there, and Unibroue's beer is good enough to redeem the entire country by itself.

19. Not a great ratio of breweries to people.

Foscot breweries: 1
    Foscot inhabitants: 15

However it is a lager brewery. While a good lager may be quite tasty, it is balls compared to a proper beer- like a pint of Fullers ESB... mmm.