1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

SO CONFUSED - Audere+Model Js

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Gord, Jun 8, 2011.

1. Gord

Gord

Jan 10, 2004
    BC, Canada
    Hi guys,
    I had a pair of Model Js installed, and added an Audere preamp to that setup. Now, I have a fair bit of buzz!

It looks like the dimarzio pickups are wired with the black and white soldered together, and then the red into the audere hot and the green into the common. Both pickups have this, yet there is a hum. Shouldn't the white+black be the part that cancels the hum?

The part that confuses me is the black wires coming from the pickups. The bridge and neck pickups are soldered to a screw in the cavity, then a black wire from the cavity+the bridge black wire are soldered together to the audere ground wire. Is THIS the part that's wrong?

The hum goes away when I touch the strings, bridge, volume knobs, or the plate itself. The audere page mentioned that shielding everything would work. Should I take that step, or should that be something that the model Js do by themselves?

2. SGD Lutherie

SGD Lutherie Banned Commercial User

Aug 21, 2008
    Bloomfield, NJ
    Owner, SGD Music Products
    The black and white wires are soldered together, red is hot and green is the common. None of the wires from the pickups should be going to ground with the Audere!

Now when you say there is a black wire coming from the pickups and is soldered to the cavity ground, I'm assuming that's a different wire than the one that soldered to the white wire? If so, that would be for grounding the metal parts in the pickup.

The sound you are hearing is actually buzz, since it goes away when you touch the strings. That's not hum from pickups, it's bad shield grounding. You mentioned that the bridge is attached to the Audere ground wire, so it shouldn't buzz.

It sounds like you are missing a ground connection somewhere. Is the screw in the cavity also connected to the other wire you are talking about from the cavity?

3. Gord

Gord

Jan 10, 2004
    BC, Canada
    [​IMG]

Here's an image (sorry if it's a little brutal!)

black and white soldered together
    red and green to audere

black ground wires from both pickup cavities grounded to the same screw. Another wire from that screw, and one from the bridge, both soldered to the audere white ground wire

edit: This is on a Geddy Lee Jazz, if that changes ANYTHING

4. SGD Lutherie

Aug 21, 2008
    Bloomfield, NJ
    Oh, its the ground wires from the pickup cavities. I thought it was extra wires from the pickups.

Your diagram looks right.

5. Gord

Gord

Jan 10, 2004
    BC, Canada
    Hmm - in that case, could it just be poor soldering? More shielding needed?

6. SGD Lutherie

Aug 21, 2008
    Bloomfield, NJ
    It's hard to say since the ground connects to that gray wire from the Audere.

Just as a test, try running a ground wire from that to the ground at the output jack and see what happens.

7. fhm555

fhm555 So FOS my eyes are brown Supporting Member

Feb 16, 2011
    I've got model j's in my little mexi j and have been looking to catch a deal on an audere for some time now so I'm very interested to see how this comes out.

8. BrandonBass

BrandonBass

May 29, 2006
    I use model Js with audere, no buzz. Unscrew your bridge to see if the ground is loose

9. SGD Lutherie

Aug 21, 2008
    Bloomfield, NJ
    That's a good idea. A quick test is to run a ground wire from the jack or the gray preamp ground wire and touch it to your strings. If the buzz goes away, then the bridge is not grounded.

10. Gord

Gord

Jan 10, 2004
    BC, Canada
    The buzz was unbearable, to the point of it buzzing AS I was playing open notes. I brought it into the shop. They called me later that day and said they couldn't hear ANY buzz through their amps, but they shielded it anyways. I brought it home, hooked it up to the same exact set up - NO buzz!

11. Bass-Adrenaline

Bass-Adrenaline

Jan 23, 2010
    I wouldnt be surprised if the buzz comes back in that case (unless the shielding fixes whatever was causing the problem. Seems like it could be/have been a loose wire somewhere. Possibly the jack.

12. Gord

Gord

Jan 10, 2004
    BC, Canada
    I think they resoldered a few things too. I brought everything up super loud last night at the jam space, and didn't hear a single thing. Fingers crossed!