Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

So...Cream are getting back together.

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Against Will, Nov 17, 2004.

1. Against Will

Against Will Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2003
    Big Sound Central
    James Gregory reports:
    Of all the splintered bands in rock history, there seem to be a select few that, despite fan frenzy, the potential to make oodles of cash, and the icy hand of death, are destined to steer clear of a reunion. Obvious choices like The Police and Led Zeppelin quickly come to mind... but look closely at most classic rock disciples' wishlists and you'll also find Cream, the 60's supergroup once comprised of legends Eric Clapton, Jack Bruce, and Ginger Baker.

While the band was originally together for a scant two years, it amassed a huge following for their thunderous blues/psych-rock fusion in both their native England and the States, a rare feat for a UK group whose name wasn't the Beatles or The Rolling Stones. Despite being at the height of their popularity, Cream broke up in 1968, succumbing to, yes, creative differences. Due in part to his friendship with George Harrison (who helped pen the guitar god's first undisputed classic, "Badge") and layovers at Bob Dylan and The Band's Woodstock compound "Big Pink," Clapton has been famously noted for wanting to part ways with the less-than-subtle band and explore more traditional rock. In a potentially inspired recent turn of events, however, it seems that Clapton, Baker, and Bruce will once again joining forces.

After years of varying interest from the three original members, Billboard is now reporting that the trio will soon be burying their collective hatchets and reuniting for a series of live dates in 2005. According to the report, Cream will officially reconvene early next year for rehearsals. A rumored weeklong series of shows will then be held sometime thereafter at London's Royal Albert Hall, which was the venue for the group's original set of "farewell shows" in '68. If all goes well, this will mark the first time the musicians have performed under the Cream moniker since they took the stage briefly in 1993 for a notoriously underwhelming run through a handful of songs following their induction at that year's Rock n' Roll Hall of Fame ceremony.

No word yet as to when in 2005 we can expect the legendary reunion, but there is, of course, already speculation as to about a possible world tour following the initial gigs. In related news, Cream's breakthrough second album Disraeli Gears saw a recent 2-disc "Deluxe Edition" re-issue this past September. The expanded album includes a massive 40 tracks, including stereo and mono versions of the final album, as well as several demos and a number of performances taken from three BBC sessions held between '67 and '68.

www.pitchforkmedia.com

2. I think it's going to be interesting. Everybody changes a lot in 40 years, I haven't heard much of anything from Baker and Bruce, and I haven't liked much of Clapton's stuff since he quit drinking. As long as he's not using a Strat with Lace Sensors ;) .

I'm surprised the Cream threads haven't been very well responded to...

http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=150974

3. Bard2dbone

Bard2dbone

Aug 4, 2002
    Arlington TX
    What was wrong with his Lace Sensor Strat? I like the sound of the Clapton Signature Strat regardless of which pickuos were in it.

4. Mud Flaps

Mud Flaps

Feb 3, 2003
    Norton, MA
    No, Cream *is* getting back together.

My sincerest apologies (-:.

5. well, i respond to the cream threads, as cream is my all time favorite band... anyways bard2dbone, i somewhat agree with the golden boy, although his sig strat is a beautiful sounding guitar, i think if he is going to play with cream, he sound go with his old les paul and marshall amps, and i won't stop there...i think it would also be awesome if bruce played his SG bass or even the bass VI. i think clapton and bruce's instruments really gave cream a certain "rawness" to their sound...i think with both guys having their signature instrument will really dry up the sound...but thats probably just me!
    although i have faith that with clapton, bruce and baker, they will be pure awesomeness regardless of what they play! Baker could be playing tin pans and still sound awesome!

Charlie

6. Jason Carota

Jason Carota Gold Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2002
    Lowell, MA
    Yes they will be. I will definately have to get tix for when (if?) they come around theses parts.

As for their instruments, although it would be nice to see them use their original gear, I doubt they will. I can't imagine the companies that endorse Clapton and Bruce (I'm not sure if Ginger Baker has a signature line) would be too happy if their signature instruments weren't used. Not to say they couldn't bring them out for a couple of songs, though. That would be nice.

7. RicPlaya

RicPlaya

Apr 22, 2003
    Whitmoretucky MI
    That would be great if they toured!

8. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

But John Bonham's death is a big factor there!! :meh:

To be honest I'm surprised that Ginger Baker is in good enough health to play drums now - in fact I'm surprised he's survived at all, for this long!

9. The Lace Sensors combined with the Soldano just comes out as over-compressed goosh. Think of those great sweeping bends that Clapton is famous for... the opening solo note from Born Under A Bad Sign, the high octave doubling on Layla, the bits from Rock and Roll Heart. The tone breathes. Think of the stuff from, like, Forever Man on- Forever Man, No Alibis- the sound is so compressed and squashed and doesn't breathe. I think of how Clapton's band's rendition of White Room sounds with that sound, and I realize it's not Baker and Bruce behind him, but it just sounds... slick. Even at their slickest, Cream was not slick.

10. yeah, thats what i was kind of saying in my post...with a soldano amp and his custom strat, (not to mention bruce's sig. fretless warwick and his hartke amps) i think the sound will be really smooth and well, as the golden boy said, "slick" listen to clapton's latest version of cream songs like white room and you will know what i mean. i don't have a huge problem with it, i just think cream hit a good sound originally, and they sounded pretty rough (as far as tone goes) and i liked it!
    i still will buy the dvd when (if) it comes out!

btw, does anybody know if bruce or clapton still even have any old gear from cream? i know bruce doesn't have the bass VI anymore...

11. He just sold the 335, the SG might be with Todd Rundgren, the black LP Custom has been missing for years, I guess he still has the Firebird, I heard that Jack still has Felix's EB-0 and I guess Ginger has most of his kits.

12. Mojo-Man

Mojo-Man Supporting Member

Feb 11, 2003
    :cool:
    Clapton traded his firebird, to Steve Stills for a Martin.
    Bruce has a 1958-EB-1 but sold his EB-3.
    As long as the play, I'am there.