Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

So dirty black basses?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by karrot-x, Dec 28, 2004.

1. karrot-x

karrot-x Banned

Feb 21, 2004
    Omicron Persei 8
    I have a Stingray 4 and it's black, just recently has 2 scratches and a ding on it.....it's dirty as hell. I feel like I've abused this bass and don't deserve it. I have $40 to spend on fixing her up right now. First things first, can I use any kind of wood polish on it? I have some Old Fashion something or other upstairs that I use to clean my desk and dressers, would this work?

Second, how much do you think a repaint and or touch up would be.

Pics:
    http://www.black-horizon.org/images/bass

Thank you, the sooner I get a response the sooner I can take this bass to a store and tell them to fix it :).

2. danman

danman

May 18, 2004
    Philadelphia, PA
    Ahhh yes, As stated before in this forum I believe that is called mojo.

For any shining of the paint I would recommend car polish and/or car wax.

danman

3. karrot-x

karrot-x Banned

Feb 21, 2004
    Omicron Persei 8
    Thanks, any ideas on the repair of the dings or maybe even a repaint job?

4. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Psh. Dont repaint because of dings. They happen. Youll get used to it eventually. Trust me, spending several hundred bucks on a repaint , just to have the bass get dinged again is pointless.

5. ApeIsHigh81

ApeIsHigh81

Aug 24, 2004
    CA
    I say pull out the black sharpie and some turtle wax. With car wax/glaze & black finishes, it's best to use medical cotton pads (you can get a Johnson & Johnson medical cotton roll at rite-aid or whatever for like 2 bucks) to apply and remove the stuff. It will leave zero swirls or scratches as opposed to any cotton rags or old shirts, socks, underwear :ninja:

6. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

Word!

For some reason, I think basses in black or sunburst look really cool when they're dirty and beat up. But then, I'm weird.
    :bag:

7. tomd03

tomd03

Oct 8, 2004
    Alberta Canada
    I don't cover up dings cuz i like to keep my bass...how should i put it... 'personalized' :)

8. Jiro

Jiro

Mar 15, 2004
    HMM I haave a black bass and its covered with finger prints and scratches now... How would i rid of them without repainting it or ruining the finish?!

9. primus_55

primus_55

Dec 28, 2004
    For starters black is the worst possible colour you could have chosen for cleanlyness. They're a major pain in the arse to keep clean, thats why my dad doesnt buy black cars. I suggest you use some fender mist and wipe...That works wonders on my bass....

10. SMASH found this cool car wax that actually fills cracks in the finish. He used it and said it worked very well. That's something I'd like to use someday to polish up my basses. That might alleviate some of the ding problems. But yeah, black finishes quickly spot up and need to be cleaned often if you want them to look fresh.

11. windex and an eye glass cleaner cloth do it for my black one

12. RNG

RNG

Jan 9, 2004
    Conway,S.C.
    Paint jobs can range anywhere from 100$ to over 1000$ depending on graphics or solid colors, grade of paint, amount of paint, who painted it, complexity of paintjob and other factors. It isnt wise to get a job done just because of minor dings.

13. WAKOJACO

WAKOJACO Guest

Jul 5, 2000
    Binghamton, NY
    +1 on the sharpie. Does wonders for "un-noticeability", but obviously won't add finish. You can make chips disappear from a distance by finding a marker that matches the color of any bass.
    Anyway, black basses get a +1 for being easy to match.

14. FenderHotRod

FenderHotRod

Sep 1, 2004
    Arkansas
    Dings and Scratches = Character

But getting that first scratch or ding sucks.

15. Luckydog

Luckydog Supporting Member

Dec 25, 1999
    black is the hardest finish to keep "pristine". You can't look at one without covering it with fingerprints. Live with it and the road wear that goes along with it.

16. Trev

Trev

Feb 23, 2004
    I dont have a black bass but I do have an all black ESP Viper and like the others have said, fingerprints etc are very noticable. I've been using the Dunlop 65 guitar polish/cleaner and I like it a lot. It also adds a kind of 'smooth' coat on the paint when I use it on the back of the guitar neck, which feels slick and not sticky - great to play on.