1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

So do 50s fenders have squarish neck heels

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by WarriorJoe7, Aug 30, 2008.

1. WarriorJoe7

WarriorJoe7 Banned

Mar 12, 2004
    Syracuse, NY
  2. fish slapper

fish slapper

Nov 17, 2005
    Newberg, OR
    Actually, I had a Dirnt bass for a while that was suppossed to be fashioned after a 50's slab bass and it had a squared off neck heel. Means one has to be careful in buying aftermarket necks etc.

3. thisSNsucks

thisSNsucks I build Grosbeak Guitars and Basses Commercial User

Dec 19, 2004
    Yonkers, NY
    Grosbeak Guitars
    This is directly from the warmoth site:

"Tele® head Fender necks usually have squared heels, Warmoth offers no bodies to fit these necks."

Sooo I'm pretty sure that 50's P should have a square neck heel. I think they changed the pockets in 57 when they redesigned the P.

4. danomite64

danomite64

Nov 16, 2004
    Tampa, Florida
    The early Precisions definitely DID have a square heel; look in any Fender book.

5. "Hey man this bass is either not a fender or else it has been molested beyond the point where you can't put a fender neck on it. Fenders never had square neck heels. Always rounded."

Wow, you sent the seller this diatribe?

FYI - Fender basses had square neck heels and single coil PU routes from the very beginning in '51 until mid-'57.

Just like this '55 Fender Single Coil Precision Bass -

View attachment 101551

6. The early Fenders did have squared off neck heels!

What's with the screw holes either side of the rear string grommet holes? Looks like the previous owner had some sort of cover over there?

Was gonna post some pics of my own '55 P-Bass, but my brother has it right now - off recording with it. For now, here's a couple of pics from the excellent Fender Bass Book

Neckheel2.
    Neckheel1.

7. WarriorJoe7

WarriorJoe7 Banned

Mar 12, 2004
    Syracuse, NY
    whoops my mistake... I guess I looked at a couple of 50s p basses and they were all 57-59

8. danomite64

danomite64

Nov 16, 2004
    Tampa, Florida
    Heh, you are going to let the seller know you made a mistake, right? :D

9. superfunk47

superfunk47

Sep 9, 2007
    I don't know if this was exactly what you're asking, but I don't buy for one second that the body in that auction is what the seller claims it is. That thing looks brand new. Even if it had been in a case under the bed for 50 years and never touched, there would be some kind of fading/checking/clouding/SOMETHING! 'Thing's 50's styled, but it's no original.

10. Jim Carr

Jim Carr Dr. Jim Gold Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2006
    Denton, TX or Kailua, HI
    fEARful Kool-Aid dispensing liberal academic card-carrying union member Musicians Local 72-147
    Besides the holes on the back near the string ferrules, there are issues with some of the other holes, but since it is sold, I doubt it is worth going into.

A '55 for reference:

body9.

11. danomite64

danomite64

Nov 16, 2004
    Tampa, Florida

The seller said he had it "Professionally refinished". It looks too clean in the neck pockets and control cavities to me, but the 4 tiny holes surrounding the ferrules on the back indicate that it had some sort of life as a bass before getting finished, and I suppose the refinisher could have cleaned out all the cavities....I'm just surprised those 4 holes weren't filled before refinning it.

12. mongo2

mongo2

Feb 17, 2008
    Da Shaw
    That 'burst is fugly.

13. Jim Carr

Jim Carr Dr. Jim Gold Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2006
    Denton, TX or Kailua, HI
    fEARful Kool-Aid dispensing liberal academic card-carrying union member Musicians Local 72-147
    +1

And the fugs were, afterall, ugly.

14. JimB52

JimB52 User Supporting Member

May 24, 2007
    East Coast
    A lot of money for a piece of wood with new paint.