So do you tell them?

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by BluesOnBass, Dec 13, 2015.

1. Yes

33 vote(s)
    24.4%
  2. No

80 vote(s)
    59.3%
  3. Carrots

22 vote(s)
    16.3%
  1. Ok, assume you are in a new band. You all have experience. Things come together well and you are ready to play out. It's your first gig - Do you mention this to the crowd?

What do you all think?

If yes, how would you bring this up?

If no, why not?

2. One Drop

One Drop

Oct 10, 2004
    Swiss Alps
    Yes, I would announce it. I'd just make sure to say it in a way it was clear it was your first gig as a band together and not your first time playing live full stop.

3. Whatever your frontman wants to do with it. It's a one shot thing at best. Or he bangs on about it all night at worst.

SirMjac28, bolophonic and MattZilla like this.
  4. Fondsdale

Fondsdale

Sep 30, 2015
    Oz
    No, why does it matter?

5. El Güero

El Güero

Oct 5, 2015
    Only if you're playing at Woodstock.

zontar, Kmrumedy, Skeptismo and 3 others like this.
  6. Goatrope

Goatrope Supporting Member

Nov 18, 2011
    Sarasota Florida
    No. It just lowers expectations, like you're throwing out an excuse up front.

If you're good, it will be a nice topic of discussion after the gig. If it doesn't go well, you can use it as a defense. ;)

7. Nev375

Nev375

Nov 2, 2010
    Missouri
    Say it, don't say it. Doesn't matter. Make sure you can play either way.

8. Ted Crilly

Ted Crilly

Dec 5, 2015
    In the same boat as you, we played our first gig over the weekend, all experienced players. We used it as a selling point on the lead up to the gig. "New exciting band on the circuit" etc etc. The bar we played in did the same. Some people who know us came just for that reason, to see how the new venture sounded. Other people who were just on a night out wanted to dance and didn't care if it was our first or last gig.

DirtDog likes this.
  9. RustyAxe

RustyAxe

Jul 8, 2008
    Connecticut
    No. It's like apologizing for sucking ... in advance. NEVER apologize to your audience, even if you do play a few clams, just play the next one better.

10. Killed_by_Death

Killed_by_Death Snaggletooth Inactive

Why is the question?
    It won't make them go any easier on you.

SirMjac28, gebass6 and hintz like this.
  11. Lobster11

Lobster11 Supporting Member Supporting Member

Apr 22, 2006
    Williamsburg, VA
    Agreed that you shouldn't open with it, for the stated reasons. However, it could be cool to bring it up later in the show if it's going well. Then you could follow up with something like, "So, what do y'all think: Should we do it again?" [Note: Do this only if you are certain that the response will be a resounding "Yes!"]

One Drop, Goatrope and WhoSeyes like this.
  12. mellowinman

mellowinman Free Man

Oct 19, 2011
    Minneapolis
    No. It's unprofessional.

matante, FlyingFinn, Spectrum and 5 others like this.
  13. DavC

DavC

May 17, 2005
    Tallmadge , Ohio
    Yes ... and thank them for joining you in this new adventure ... !

i would never use ' being new ' as any kind of excuse , ... but rather as a point of excitement ... !

14. JohnMCA72

JohnMCA72

Feb 4, 2009
    I'd mention it, but only in the proper context: Not as an excuse for sucking, but to set expectations for the future. In other words, if people think you're good now, just wait until you've had some experience! Also, as a matter of relationship-building, there's an opportunity go get people involved in the band's life & growth, to grow along with you. Maybe someday some of these people may be able to say, "I was there from the start, when they played their very first gig!"

I've gigged plenty of times with "bands" where the lineup had never played together before, sometimes not even rehearsed. I've had people come up after a set & ask if we had CDs, web site, where we're playing next, etc. & they're blown away to find out that some of the players had never even met before, let alone played together, & this lineup may never appear together again!

15. Danomo

Danomo Guest

Apr 25, 2013
    Almost in passing with the members name announcements (usually in the second set).

Hey everyone, we're Pink Salmon, I'm Bill, Steve is on bass, Bob, on drums, and Derf on the keys. I'd like to thank you all for coming out and seeing us tonight on our very first show together. Here's a song by the Boss...

hdracer and KickingBass like this.
  16. mcarp555

mcarp555 Guest

Jul 14, 2013
    It's the audience's first time listening to you; should they mention that?

sissy kathy, twinjet, matante and 4 others like this.
  17. Lobomov

Lobomov

Aug 2, 2013
    Sound to me like something that would make the crowd assume you're weak before the shows even started. Unless you can use it as a buildup implying they're in for a special threat like in .. Hello I'm Jimmy Page of Yardbird fame. With me I have a my buddies here on vocals and bass that you've might heard of .. and introducing on drums a very special talent.

gebass6 likes this.
  18. Or this: Welcome to Fat Chance/ Low Budget airlines flight number one. Sure to invoke a sense of security in the audience.

19. Cowboy in Latvia

Cowboy in Latvia

Mar 1, 2015
    Mention it at the end. Something like "thanks for a great experience, this was our first gig together and it won't be our last. Hope to see you next time" so it's not desperate but it does give out the info.

20. electracoyote

electracoyote Supporting Member

I've been in this situation. We waited until we had the crowd on our side, then kind of surprised them with the "first gig" announcement.

If you stink it up or get a lukewarm response, it's not really worth mentioning.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 24, 2021