Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

so does anyone use an iPod in their car?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Mental Octopus, Aug 29, 2004.

1. Mental Octopus

Mental Octopus

May 24, 2003
    i just bought a car the other day (97 volvo 850) and all it has is a tape deck and AM/FM radio. well i dont own any tapes and all my local radio stations seem to just play commercials these days it kinda sucks. does anyone use an iPod in their car? how did you hook it up and does it sound good?

2. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    I use my iPod in my car about 90% of the time. if it's a short drive I usually don't bring it, or if I neglected to charge it(don't have an iPod car charger) the night before and then I have a couple back-up CDs just in case.

The head unit I bought recently(after my last stereo got jacked) has an 1/8" aux input on the front, so I can plug my iPod into it directly, no adaptors. It sounds great, except,I don't have a sub in my car, so the sound is a little on the high end of things, not very well rounded

I love my pod, but now that I've been able to use it in the car, I love it even more. It's so damn easy to navigate through that when you're driving, and since I'm familiar enough with my library and the iPod, I usually don't even need to look, save for a second to verify I got the right thing.

3. Mental Octopus

Mental Octopus

May 24, 2003
    so are you able to browse your library through the head unit or do you have to do it on the ipod yourself?

either way that sounds pretty cool. what brand is your head unit?

thanks for the reply

4. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    Through the pod, which is sitting right next to me on the center console.

I got a cheap $100 aiwa unit. *every* Aiwa head unit for 2004 has an aux input.

aside from that there are more expensive alpine options that actually give you a dock in your car, and allow control via the head unit(which is designed similarly to the pod)

but that'll set you back like $400 or something.

5. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    Kudos to Aiwa for that. I'm about 90% sure that other companies will follow their lead. Hopefully some will even start to offer optical inputs.

brad cook

6. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    yeah definitely. I mean, the headunit is pretty cheap, but it has 4 things I wanted

1) relatively big buttons(compared to many head units they are big)
    2) jog wheel for volume
    3) detachable faceplate
    4) aux. input

another perk is the color, and the subtle lighting, it's not a "steal me!" type thing

here's a picture
    [​IMG]

it was $110, AIWA also has a $79 model that's practically the same thing, but I think it has less power per speaker(I would have got that one, but they were out of stock)

7. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    Unless the potential thief has previously stolen an iPod and therefore values an external input. ;)

brad cook

8. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    of course, that's where the detachable faceplate comes in handy ;)

9. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    They also sell accesories for the iPod that make it a radio transmitter so you can listen to it by selecting a certain station on your car stereo.

You can also use one of those cassette adapters that comes with a lot of CD players. Thats what I do.

10. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    I use my Zen in the car. I have an Alpine with an AUX input, works fine.

11. Mental Octopus

Mental Octopus

May 24, 2003
    i was pretty set on buying that cassette adapter a while ago, but then i realized i wouldnt have the pod with me all the time so it would be wise to have a CD player as a last resort.

i've read all over the place that Alpine makes excellent head units so i think i might have to check them out at circuit city...since i have a huge amount of store credit there.

12. Mental Octopus

Mental Octopus

May 24, 2003
    which Alpine unit do you have? i was just at Circuit City and i noticed that only one Alpine had an AUX input in the front....so i'm assuming that the other ones have it in the back? I tried asking the guy but all he wanted to do was sell me the newer Alpine/iPod interface for like $600... :rolleyes: .

13. Marlat

Marlat

Sep 17, 2002
    London UK
    I use a Kenwood receiver / CD player and use an AUX input adapter to plug the line out of the Ipod (via a Belkin car kit) to the AUX input. Then I just select the AUX input on the receiver and use the ipod to select tunes.

Just did a 13 hour round trip on the weekend with both me and the GF (very different taste in music) and it worked up charm. Just used a couple of random playlists and we were away...no need to bring CDs and struggle around changing them every 30 mins or so!

14. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    Do you only buy EPs or what?

brad cook

15. spots

spots

Feb 7, 2004
    boston, MA
    what about one of those tapes with the wire coming out of it and a headphone jack? They come with CD player packs for cars with only a tape deck. You could put the tape into the tape deck and hook up the head phone wire into the headphone jack into the ipod. Would cost less than 25 bucks im sure...

16. Marlat

Marlat

Sep 17, 2002
    London UK
    Nah, we usually can only stand listening to 30mins of each others music at a time, so we swap "DJ" every 30 mins.

:D

17. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    mine is in the back, when installed, I had them put the RCA connectors sneaking out from the center console.

I forget the model, I'll edit this Monday when I look at it again.

18. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showpost.php?p=1628997&postcount=9

19. secretdonkey

secretdonkey

Oct 9, 2002
    Austin, TX
    Simple cassette tape adapter works great for me. Also a number of FM transmitters on the market that get good reviews.

20. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    The sound quality and volume arent as high as Id like but my stereo is weak.

My buddy has an FM transmitter by Monster Cable thats pretty sweet. it charges your iPod with the sam cable you connect the transmitter through and has something like 6 different frequency bands which is good incase you pass through an area with a working radio station in one of the bands.