1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

So easy its hard

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by ldiezman, May 12, 2006.

1. ldiezman

ldiezman

Jul 11, 2001
    Nashville
    Well it has been a very long time since I have made a post here on Talkbass... but I guess that just means i'm over due.

after I graduated college, Irecently moved to Nashville Tn in hopes of furthering my career. No I have never played a country tune in my life until I got here.. I guess thats not surprising. Well, I landed my first road gig here and It pays very very nicely, as you may imagine its country Rock type stuff... Now after I auditioned they told me I had the job but I was to "busy".

So after trying to tone my playing down, its almost still not enough. I never thought I would get frustrated playing such easy music... but comming from a Jazz fusion, R&B, and Funk background, its hard not to want to do more. Has anyone else ever come across stuff like this? Sorry for rambling... i am excited about going all over the U.S making great money, but its a huge change for me stylistically...

2. WillPlay4Food

WillPlay4Food Now With More Metal! Staff Member Supporting Member

Apr 9, 2002
    Orbiting HQ
    Someone posted this recently about playing country music: "Think of how few notes you could play to this music. Now cut that number in half."

I'm no great player by any stretch of the imagination (and I mean by any stretch) but I did run across this when playing bluegrass. I strayed a little too far from root-5 and was promptly told what bass in bluegrass was all about.

So in short; just relax, kick back and enjoy the cash you're getting paid to play 1/2 notes. How much better could it be? Just enjoy the music, and don't play too many notes, just the right ones. :)

3. Theonestarchild

Theonestarchild Artfully lost

Aug 23, 2005
    North Carolina
    I'll do the gig for you.

4. guy n. cognito

guy n. cognito Secret Agent Member Gold Supporting Member

Dec 28, 2005
    Nashville, TN
    First off, welcome to Nashville. If you need any advice on where to live, places to hang out, etc, drop me a line. If you're like most successful musicians in this town, you'll hardly ever be here. ;) Now, when you want to hit The Low End Bass Shop in Murfreesboro, give me a call!

To answer your question, this was one of the reasons I refused to join a country band. I don't play professionally, so my first goal was to play music I enjoyed, rather than getting paid. The repetitive, simplistic bass lines in country music bore me to tears and isn't in the least bit challenging. As was mentioned above, just enjoy cashing that check.

5. seventai

seventai

May 9, 2006
    well damn dude. i can p.lay some simple unchallenging crap and i like cash. maybe i should come to nashville. my head is too big for a cowboy hat. do you think that will be a problem?

6. guy n. cognito

Dec 28, 2005
    Nashville, TN

Of course. We all wear cowboy hats, boots, and still get awe-struck when we see tall buildings.

Becoming a successful musician in Nashville is difficult, even though the music may be easy. Formal training, versatility, looks and gear are all critical. This town is full of no-talent hacks trying to make it big, without the skill-set to even get started. Next thing you know, you're one of 1,000 musicians willing (and grateful) to play for tips. The business here is absolutely cut-throat for professional musicians. Country music is especially "singer/songwriter" orientated, so even if you end up backing a talented singer, don't expect to keep that job for more than 10 seconds if that person gets a record deal.

7. McHack

McHack

Jul 29, 2003
    Central Ohio!
    What's funny here is, I can respect the precision & skill required to play in Dream Theater. But, its so overly busy that I find it damn near unlistenable. But, most country is still pretty boring... just be the root.

8. ldiezman

ldiezman

Jul 11, 2001
    Nashville
    I'll definately check out the shop and thanks for the welcome.. i live in brentwood currently.. i've played a couple of gigs for different folks down on broadway.... but (thankfully) i'm not playing anywhere in nashville (or Tn for that matter). and Yeah I do get pretty bored, but I won't complain when I'm getting money and seeing the country for nothing... The drummer is a fellow fusion player and also the band leader so he has been really understanding about my "busy" playing

9. ldiezman

ldiezman

Jul 11, 2001
    Nashville
    i've never worn a cowboy hate.. and I'm probably the least country dude you'll meet. (that plays in a country band anyway)

10. So, essentially, it's Los Angeles with higher humidity and no beach, but less traffic and smog.

11. Just stay with it, get your name around. It may be the same boring bass lines, but as a professional musician, its your job to give them what they want. They recognized that you definiately could do the job, and they heard you play. Chances are they will recommend you for other gigs. Session work is tough, and you got to take what you can get, hopefully one day you will get your dream gig.
    good Luck in your musical career. Dont forget to add country music to your resume.

12. guy n. cognito

Dec 28, 2005
    Nashville, TN
    And lower real estate prices. ;)

13. seventai

seventai

May 9, 2006
    i was just really kiddin about the hats guys. i really do have a giant noggin though.

14. It's probably for the best--we need all the gasoline we can get for driving, not lawn-mowing. :p

15. steveb98

steveb98 [acct disabled - multiple aliases]

Mar 15, 2006
    Venice, CA
    Just keep reminding yourself playing simple solid melodic bass lines will pay the bills for a long time. A lot of the gigs for playing more interesting music don't pay well or are short term gigs. You will probably find others in the band or other acts your gig with want to play more and jams and after hours joints become your outlet. A lot of groups I was with the dressing jams were better than the gigs.

16. remo

remo

Jan 15, 2005
    It's very simple, Country is music for PEOPLE, not bass players. If you accept that everything else will fall into place.

17. I just started playing some country myself to make some money, so I feel you. I just make sure I am watching how much or, more appropriately, how little the drummer is playing and follow along. But yeah, you'll be amazed how many country songs are really just 1/2 notes or even whole notes, just playing the root. Sit back and enjoy!

18. ldiezman

ldiezman

Jul 11, 2001
    Nashville
    Yeah I am reminded now especially since I don't have to have a 9-5 job anymore. It makes me feel so free. I have definately played some jazz fusion gigs and received less than $100 for the night.

But I've also been let on to a little gathering that happens in Downtown Nashville. A bunch of Monster musicians play every sunday night they are in town. Travis Tritts drummer, Lee ann womack (however you spell her name she is country music so i don't know her) some great guitar player and key boardist plays for lee ann, and Even Charlie Daniel's Drummer (who is a sick monster player) show up and Jam. Randy Smith is the bassist and he invited me out there. I got to jam with those guys for about 45 minutes and it was delightful. So even though i'm keeping it simple, I still get to keep my sanity playing with other great musicians every now and again

19. It takes discipline and maturity to play the right bass line for the right music. Many bassist don't get this simple concept. Playing bass is still all about the groove. Even in country music!

20. SBassman

SBassman

Jun 8, 2003
    Northeast, US
    Funny stuff. :)