1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

so ELIXIR has stopped making the POLYWEB coating...

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by xshawnxearthx, Apr 7, 2006.

1. xshawnxearthx

xshawnxearthx

Aug 23, 2004
    new jersey
    so now i am super bummed out. if you can find them, buy them, because they are not shipping anymore out and what is left is what stores have in stock.

i tried the nano web ones and they wore out very quickly. i am going to try them again but i also want some other options.

has anyone used the dr coated strings and can compare the two? i'm debating the bootzillas, and the black beauties.
    1.) do they last as long?
    2.) how do they hold up to a pick?
    3.) once the coating starts to wear away, is the string still protected?

2. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    D'Adario makes EXP bass strings. Those are better. They wrap the coating before they put it on the core. Elixir doesn't manufacture their own strings, but they add the coating. It tends to wear off too easily for my tastes.

3. xshawnxearthx

xshawnxearthx

Aug 23, 2004
    new jersey
    i tried those when i got a free trail of them. i forget how i got them, but they were ffree and didnt last. =(

4. Condor

Condor

Aug 31, 2004
    "so now i am super bummed out. if you can find them, buy them, because they are not shipping anymore out and what is left is what stores have in stock."

Is this true? I use "custom" 50-70-85-105 polyweb. (I hit hard) Have they really stopped manufacturing them???

5. nad

nad 60 Cycle Humdinger Commercial User

Sep 22, 2005
    Not Mars
    The Overlord of Nordstrand Pickups
    Are you sure about this? They are still shown on their website. Reason I ask is because a lot of "reputable" sources will say an item is discontinued when in actuality, said source just no longer stocks the particular item.

I've tried Nanowebs. They are nowhere near as amazing as Polywebs.

6. elros

elros

Apr 24, 2004
    Norway
    Proprietor, Helland Musikk Teknologi
  7. nad

nad 60 Cycle Humdinger Commercial User

Sep 22, 2005
    Not Mars
    The Overlord of Nordstrand Pickups
    You can buy individual Polyweb strings via http://www.juststrings.com/ That's what I did for my 5er. :)

8. Le Basseur

Le Basseur

Mar 26, 2002
    Croatia
  9. xshawnxearthx

xshawnxearthx

Aug 23, 2004
    new jersey
    ok, i wouldnt come on here and say they stopped making it if it was just hear say. i heard about it from a string company(stringthis.com) and didnt believe it. so i called elixir. two people there confirmed this. supposidly there wasnt enough sales for them so they stopped making it. some stores may still have them, but no more will be shipping from elixir. i was told that what is out there is what is left.

i hear you, the polyweb is by far the best thing ever. i already sent a complaint email, i'm sure it wouldnt hurt if more people did the same.

now, i tried nanowebs again. and again, pick style just kills them. they are starting to change color where my pick hits. bum out.

so i have dr black beauties coming in the mail, hopefully they will be better.

if those do the same thing, i may have to switch to finger style, which im not looking forward to doing.

i also want to try ghs infinity strings, but they are red. i would also like to see if i can get a set of these warwick emp's but i cannot seem to find a source in the us. ugh