Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

so, erm how exactly does changing bridges affect the sound?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by anonymous278347457, Jan 23, 2006.

1. anonymous278347457

anonymous278347457 Guest

Feb 12, 2005
    I have seen loads of people talk about how they are getting a new bridge. And I was wondering, whats the point? im assuming that all bridges do is just keep the string in place right? so how does it affect the sound? also do machine heads affect the sound aswell?

2. Tony G

Tony G

Jan 20, 2006
    NY
    I upgraded the bridge on my jazz bass to a bad ass II bridge. This is a beefy bridge and really helps articulate the sound of the bass. It really depends on what bridge you currently have and what you want. If you have a jazz bass, I highly recommend you go out and buy the badass II bridge. You won't regret it.

3. BassChuck

BassChuck

Nov 15, 2005
    Cincinnati
    I changed the bridge on my 4001 from the stock to the HipShot replacement bridge. I really didn't notice much of a difference in sound...perhaps a stronger low end.

The main reason I switched was the standard Rickenbacker bridge is a major pain the butt to adjust the intonation... you have to loosen the strings to move the saddles and then tighten the string and check to see what difference your adjustment made.... (yea).

Also the height adjustment was easier on the HipShot. I recommend this to anyone with a 4001 or 4003.

OTOH... when I was playing a Jazz Bass, I did switch from the standard to the BAII and I did notice a nice increase in clarity of attack.