Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

So, for those of you who have gone over your cell phone minutes, help me out here....

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Ty McNeely, Dec 1, 2004.

1. Ty McNeely

Ty McNeely

Mar 27, 2000
    TX
    So yeah. I definitely did it. I don't think I did it as bad as they're saying I did since I've been having some problems with my bill, but I'm just wondering---what are my options?

This is the first time I've had it happen, so hopefully they'll be understanding and help me out, but I really don't know.

What are you guys' (and gals') experiences?

2. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    good Luck Ty! Tell them about what a good customer you are, ask directly for a reduction.

3. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    Just for future reference you can change your plan at any time with no penalties or anything.

brad cook

4. Ty McNeely

Ty McNeely

Mar 27, 2000
    TX
    OK, well get this--

Somehow, according to them, I talked for 1220 minutes between 10/21 and 11/20. Here's the more interesting part---

I've *supposedly*talked for 400 minutes already this billing cycle, which has only been since 11/21. By my calculations, that's 8 days total worth of possible billing, in which there is 15 hours a day that I can talk. 120 hours TOTAL, and that's if I was awake at 6:00 a.m. talking on the phone. Somehow, I've talked for 6 1/2 hours of that. *SOMETHING* is up....not sure what because I haven't been able to investigate, but there is something.

I think it's worth noting that I've never exceeded my minutes. When I was with Cingular, after 8 months I had over 1300 rollover minutes accumulated on a 500 minute/month plan. I've been with Verizon for 4 or 5 months now and have never exceeded---the closest I've gotten is the during the 2 week timespan where school was starting and I had to use it to communicate with my boss on almost an hourly basis. I just don't see how it's possible. :meh:

5. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    Did you dial #min and see the minutes breakdown? That might help with your inevestigation.

brad cook

6. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    Hey brad, when one wants to change plans with Sprint they try to make you sign a new two year contract, which seems like a penalty to me. Are you saying with verizon it's different?

7. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    Yeah. According to the salesman I talked to when I signed up you can change plans at any time. He let me know because I was waffling about how many minutes that my wife and I would need and he said we can always change our plan if it's not enough or too many minutes. I think I saw an ad the other day that said the same thing.

brad cook

8. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    AT&T/Cingular let's you change plans on the fly too. When we went to Utah this past summer we switched to a national no roaming plan while we were down there. When we got back home, we reverted to our normal plan. No hassles from anyone when we did it.

-Mike

9. Stu L.

Stu L. Supporting Member

Nov 27, 2001
    Corsicana, Texas
    Cingular won't let us think of going to a higher $ plan monthly, because we have gone over our limit a couple of times. It was kinda funny when my wife started yelling at them though :D

Jokes on them though. They recently (<6 months ago) gave me a new phone for another 2 year commitment. They have no record of it, and I am eligable to stop service with Cingular this month :) CINGULAR SUCKS!

10. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA

Man, I hope you are wrong. I have been with AT&T forever........and a day. Never a single problem with them in over 10 years. I was hoping the Cingular merger would make it even better.

-Mike

11. Pacman

Pacman Layin' Down Time Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Endorsing Artist: Roscoe Guitars, DR Strings, Aguilar Amplification
    Indeed!!!! I hate 'em. I'm with Verizon now, and I'm happy enough to sign a new two year contract.

12. Ty McNeely

Ty McNeely

Mar 27, 2000
    TX
    I'll reiterate---

CINGULAR SUCKS!!!!

13. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA

Awwww man.....you guys are scaring me now. Someone out there has to have some love for Cingular. I suppose I could leave since AT&T left me.

-Mike

14. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX

MJ5150,

Actually the Cingular people are probably the ones that are "Awww" ing. Even though you've never had any problems AT&T has the most customer complaints of any cell phone carrier per 1000 customers according to the FCC. Four times as many as Verizon.

brad cook

15. I've never had a problem with cingular, whats the big deal?

16. Stu L.

Stu L. Supporting Member

Nov 27, 2001
    Corsicana, Texas
    Ever had to call 'em? ;)

17. Ty McNeely

Ty McNeely

Mar 27, 2000
    TX
    Luckily I have a detailed bill in front of me right now. I'm in the process of breaking it down to see exactly where I went wrong.

18. Stu L.

Stu L. Supporting Member

Nov 27, 2001
    Corsicana, Texas
    Probably when you opened your mouth ;)

19. Ty McNeely

Ty McNeely

Mar 27, 2000
    TX
    Ouch :p

I'm going to call them later. It looks like basically what happened is that since I've been traveling a lot, I was on my phone a lot. During the month that I went over, I drove somewhere around 4,000 miles, so obviously I was on my phone a lot. I'm just hoping they'll be merciful.

20. fatbassjazzer

fatbassjazzer

Feb 27, 2004
    ATL
    I have cingular and I love it. It hasn't ever given me any trouble. My parents used to have verizon but cingular just met their needs much more and they weren't happy with veriozn at all.