Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

so frustrated

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Mixmasta J, Oct 5, 2005.

1. Mixmasta J

Mixmasta J

Dec 4, 2004
    ok so heres the deal

I have this bass I bought for about 70 bucks. Its a jazz bass, called a Hondo II (no idea of the company, tried searchin it).

So anyways, the strings are way to high on the frets, so I mess with it myself. Bad idea. It really didnt hurt the bass, it just brought the fretboard closer to the strings, so it was unplayable.

I brought it to a repair shop, and they say that the truss rod is messed up, and that they cannot repair it. ( the neck is warped?)

So pretty much I have a bass that doesnt play, and nobody knows how to fix it.

questions:
    1. Is it fixable?
    2. If it isn't, what do I do with it? (it would certainly feel weird throwing a bass away!)
    3. Should I just get a new jazz bass? if so what kind?

I know its vague, but Im really not too good at repairing things, so any suggestions would help. :help:

2. Masher88

Masher88 Believe in absurdities and you commit atrocities

May 7, 2005
    Cleveland, OH
    check the sticky at the top of this section for all Truss Rod and Neck Adjustments

3. Unchain

Unchain I've seen footage.

Jun 20, 2005
    Tucson, AZ
    He just said his truss rod was messed up. Read the post more carefully next time.

Your bass is a Hondo. It still might be saved! Check the size of the neck pocket. If it has these measurments:
    [​IMG]
    You can buy a replacment neck from either Mighty Mite (cheap) or Warmoth (quality).