Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

SO!!! Frustrated!!!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by lookjojoisplaid, Jan 26, 2006.

1. lookjojoisplaid

lookjojoisplaid

Oct 17, 2005
    San Diego
    So My current setup is i got an ampeg BA-500 which is basically an SVT-350 going into a SVT-210HE cab. So bottom line i got 350 Watts going into a 300watt RMS cab. I also have a Passive P-bass and an Active EQ fender Jazz.

Now my Problem is im just not getting enough volume outta my rig when i practice. Just to be able to hear it i have the master volume cranked all the way up and the gain to about the half way point but it sounds like crap. The lows are distorted and every attack i make clipps so bad. So i figure my 2 10s just arnt pushing nearly enough air. So i borrowed my friend PEavey cab which has 2X10s and 1X15 and that thing is 400watts RMS Peak and this thing not only sounded like poo it wasnt any louder than my 2-10

So how do i fix this???

Maybe someone can explain to me why a 300 watt ampeg SVT-cl into a 8X10 which is an 800watt cab, is one of the loudest things i have ever heard in my life. Isnt that underpowering a cab???

I mean is that really the secret to a good sounding rig? Get an underpowered amp and put it through the most massive Watt sucking beast you can afford???

Yeah help me out!!!

2. 8mmOD

8mmOD

Mar 20, 2005
    USA
    I endorse & use Tech 21 pedals, Eminence loaded cabs, EMG pickups, Jim Dunlop picks & Ernie Ball Strings, BC Rich Basses.
    I dont know much about that amp, but are you pushing a lot of low end and scooping out the mids?

3. lookjojoisplaid

lookjojoisplaid

Oct 17, 2005
    San Diego
    I have tried just about every EQ setting i can think of on the amp and i can get more volume but i have to sacrafice tone which im not gonna do.

4. Dan Molina

Dan Molina TalkBass Secular Progressive

Jul 17, 2002
    Murr Town, California
    Solid State 350w is not as loud as 300w tube. You can try adding an extension speaker. Try turning up the gain up before it clips and the turn up the master.

5. AxtoOx

AxtoOx

Nov 12, 2005
    Duncan, Okla.
    There's somthing wrong, I've played through that amp, It's what I used to use in the GC in La Mesa when I was checking out Basses. Is that where you got it?
    BTW that's 350 solid state. A 300 watt SVT CL is a lot louder because it's a tube amp, but that one should be plenty loud. You don't have the pad in do you?. If you have the pad push in on a passive bass you won't get a lot of volume.
    If that's not it, and your using a passive bass, take it back and get another one, those are decent amps, if your using an active bass, check your battery.

6. lookjojoisplaid

lookjojoisplaid

Oct 17, 2005
    San Diego

Yeah its that one they had a the La Mesa. I used to for checking basses and i just really got use to the sound and i liked it so i bought it.

But no niether the front side or the back side pad is pushed in. And i have replaced the battery in my active so i know thats not it plus it not loud enough with my passive bass either. So none of those things could be the problem.

7. AxtoOx

AxtoOx

Nov 12, 2005
    Duncan, Okla.
    But it was loud enough in the store, and doesn't work right at home correct?

8. Dan Molina

Dan Molina TalkBass Secular Progressive

Jul 17, 2002
    Murr Town, California
    It could also be the acoustics of the room that make it seem quieter.

9. AxtoOx

AxtoOx

Nov 12, 2005
    Duncan, Okla.
    So are you saying it just doesn't sound the same, or like it's not working?

10. Mcrelly

Mcrelly

Jun 16, 2003
    Minnesota, USA
    wow, so many different ideas come to mind...

#1 if you are newer to playing bass, the first thing you might not realize is the MORE SPEAKERS you have the MORE AIR you move. that works great up to a certain point. IF, IF you had 300w into TWO 10" speakers or 300w into EIGHT! 10" speakers, the eight 10" speakers will sound louder EVEN THOUGH its 300w total output.

#2 if you try to use EQ settings that sound great playing ALONE, these will USUALLY not work in a band situation. you may not notice, but you probably have to play ALOT louder when competing with drums, guitars, etc. when people play alone, guitar or bass players, they usually like a HEAVY tone (i.e. more bass knob) sadly, your guitarist probably have their bass turned up too! making it harder to hear yourself. thats partly why people might suggest LESS BASS, MORE MIDS. the sound of bass you hear on alot of CD's is NOT usually deep deep bass, but more of what people refer to as mid-bass or almost MIDRANGE frequencies.

In my honest opiinion 210's ALONE are NOT enough for a loud band. try running the 210's WITH the peavey 210+115 (you'll have a total of a 410s+115 right? your amp can run down to 2ohms so if each cab is 8ohm your total would be 4ohm, if they are 4 you'll get 2ohms total.

try again with the ULTRABASS off (not lit) and the pad off (not lit) start with bass at 12, put your "gain" up until it starts blinking (the on hard notes. THEN adjust you master.

whoa, whoa, stop the presses!!!! I just read this in the owners manual "adjust the Gain control until the two LEDs furthest clockwise flash occasionally while playing." thats farther than 12 o'clock, don't feel bad I probably would have ran it like you did too! TRY setting the gain that way....

GOOD LUCK!

BTW NICE AMP! I like the presets and layout.

11. lookjojoisplaid

lookjojoisplaid

Oct 17, 2005
    San Diego
    Its not the acoustics

12. lookjojoisplaid

lookjojoisplaid

Oct 17, 2005
    San Diego

1.) I dont understand that whole thing where 300 watts into an 8X10 is louder than a 2X10. To me if you have more speaker your just have more speakers to power. SO someone explain this one to me

2.) I already tried hooking up the two cabs together sounded really bad. Probably one of the muddiest sounds i have ever made on a bass. Personally i think it was the peavey cab.

13. AxtoOx

AxtoOx

Nov 12, 2005
    Duncan, Okla.
    I wasn't going there, I'm seeing if it's broke. If that's the same floor model I played on also. I remember when they took it out over a year ago and no telling what it's been through. Solid State usually goes out right away or lasts forever. I'm wondering if it broke after moving it around and if you should take it back.
    You got me at this point. The Bass guy I used to use there moved and Brian who always treats me real well would be the first to admit he doesn't know squat about Bass stuff, so I don't know who to ask for on the phone that might help. If the pads not in, and there's no volume, I'd take it back.

I just moved here in August BTW. I used to live in Santee.

14. lookjojoisplaid

lookjojoisplaid

Oct 17, 2005
    San Diego
    It wasnt one of the ones from the floor because they had just sold that one the day before i bought mine. The had another one in the back that i saw them pull outta the box so i know it was brand new. I have had this thing for just about a year nowshe has been great to me up until about a month ago

15. Mcrelly

Mcrelly

Jun 16, 2003
    Minnesota, USA
    I don't know if I can, I don't know exactly why. why not when you go to a concert they just put 50,000w through two 15" speakers on either side of the stage? If you have 30 PSI of water in you garden hose, what is a better way of getting your lawn watered? one sprinkler or five?

where were the tone controls set at, what were your guitar settings??

16. AxtoOx

AxtoOx

Nov 12, 2005
    Duncan, Okla.
    Well you have a 5 year warranty, they are pretty good about loaners. If it's been good for a year and is just now acting up, sounds like something went out.
    BTW more speakers will give you more volume just because they are moving more air, and that makes a big difference. You will get more volume adding another cab than a bigger amp. Unless it's a lot bigger amp.
    Sorry I wasn't more help.

17. lookjojoisplaid

lookjojoisplaid

Oct 17, 2005
    San Diego

Yes but in this case if you had 8 sprinklers vs. 2 sprinklers either one coming from a single spiket they are still going to put out the same quantity of water

18. Plain Old Me

Plain Old Me

Dec 14, 2004
    On speakers:
    Doubling the speaker area (assuming that the speakers have the same efficency and not changing the wattage) yields a 3 DB increase in efficency. Doubling the wattage adds 3 DB as well.

19. Mcrelly

Mcrelly

Jun 16, 2003
    Minnesota, USA
    hey, i'm just trying to help:rolleyes:

20. 8mmOD

8mmOD

Mar 20, 2005
    USA
    I endorse & use Tech 21 pedals, Eminence loaded cabs, EMG pickups, Jim Dunlop picks & Ernie Ball Strings, BC Rich Basses.
    it sounds like me that its just a bad combination of head & cab for the tone you are personally looking for. it sounds like you want a beefy solid low end & you arent gonna get that from a single 210HE. i also speculate that it sounded bad through the peavey cabs 'cause they suck. :bag: