Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

so, GC sent me a credit card...

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by xshawnxearthx, Jun 27, 2005.

1. xshawnxearthx

xshawnxearthx

Aug 23, 2004
    new jersey
    but didnt give me enough to buy anything i'd want.

now, we wait....

2. cheezewiz

cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio
    Send it back unless you enjoy paying 22 percent interest.

3. xshawnxearthx

xshawnxearthx

Aug 23, 2004
    new jersey
    what i plan on doing is this.

waiting till gc has another no payments for 12 months, and then pay it off before its due.

4. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    It works. When I first got my card, they gave me 12 months no interest, and there was a sale that day, so we picked up a Boss GT-6B which had ANOTHER six months no interest, so we didn't have to pay for it for well over a year. They'll give you "xxx months no interest" any day of the week if the purchase price is high enough and you ask for it- I got 3 months no interest on a $150 purchase. Just make sure to pay it back on time or they'll charge you back interest from the day you bought it. You can also apply to up your credit limit every six months. Mine's been raised $500 in the last year, and will probably go up another $250-$500 by the end of the year.

Getting a cell phone is a much more expensive thing than getting a credit card with a high interest rate and using it properly.

5. xshawnxearthx

xshawnxearthx

Aug 23, 2004
    new jersey
    yeah, the guy at gc had it bumped up to 800 instead of 700, but that still leaves me short by about 500.

i'm also talking to one of my friends who works there to see how much discount he can get me on the 4 pro....

6. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    I bought my fretless Bongo with 15 months same as cash on my GC credit card. It's due in July, so I just sent them a check for the full amount.

Amount of interest paid? 0.00%

Amount of interest I earned while the money sat in my ING account instead of paying cash last year? 3.00-ish%

Works for me.

7. cheezewiz

cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio
    Yep..the NO INTEREST part is a good deal, as long as you pay it off in time.

8. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    If you use a GC credit card any time except when they give you the no interest/same as cash deal, you are a frikkin' moron, and GC deserves every penny of your 22-26%. :D

9. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    You can also tranfer the charge to another card if you see that the no interest period is going to be up before you can pay it all off.

10. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    That must be frustrating to open up the envelope with your new GC credit card, only to find out the available credit is not enough to buy anything you want. Then you just stand around in GC looking at all the things you still can not afford.

-Mike

11. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    :D
    I got mine in the store- my wife suggested applying to see if I could get a Pedulla Pentabuzz that I wanted ($2200). They came back and told my wife "Sorry, he only got approved for $700" and I was AMAZED they gave me that much- I'd been rejected on every credit card application I'd gotten before then because I'm a self-employed artist and I didn't make much dough.

Believe it or not, my GC credit card improved my credit rating- it's actually good now.

12. xshawnxearthx

xshawnxearthx

Aug 23, 2004
    new jersey
    i knew it was coming, and i just went to gc for picks and to look at some stuff, so i got sucked into the 4 pro, and i told him about the card and he said he would look it up. comes back as 700. ***? so he had it bumped to 8, but that aint cutting it.

13. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    So possessing a card with a higher limit would mean you could "afford" something you want?

14. Bryan R. Tyler

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    Sure...if you have 12 months or more to pay it back anyways.

15. xshawnxearthx

xshawnxearthx

Aug 23, 2004
    new jersey
    now i have to wait for another one of these no payments for 12 months deals to come around again. this time i got the inside track from my friend who works for gc..

i wonder what they get on a discount....

16. Bryan R. Tyler

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    Those deals happen pretty much every month. And like I said, if the purchase value is high enogh and you ask for it, they'll often give you those financing deals whether there's a big sale or not.

17. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    No, I don't think I did a good job of expressing myself in that post.

What I was trying to say is that it must be frustrating standing in GC with a credit card that has a limit too small to buy anything you really want. For me, I would never charge anything for $700, I would rather pay cash. If I were to get a retail store credit card, it would be to buy something really spendy that I could take advantage of the "XX months no interest" deal.

-Mike

18. What in God's green earth is GC?

19. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    The 12 months things happen randomly. We had them at my store last weekend and the two weekends before because SamAsh announced a similar offer for those weekends. We didnt know we would have that offer till a few days before and it was only available at Guitar Centers with a SamAsh in the area.

As far as we we get on discount, almost everything other than used gear. You must be a GC employee for 3 months before getting the employee discount and it is the cost plus shipping on most items. Apple, Boogie, and some pro-audio stuff like recording gear and QSC products are different and usually require you purchase them directly from the manufacturer. On Boogie gear its 60% of list price.

20. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    Not quite.

When they have a financing offer available, it is loaded into the computer sytems only while it is available. I cannot ring up an item with 12 months no interest no matter how bad I wanted to at the momment. The most I could do right now is 3 months because that is always available for first purchases on the card and there are no other financing deals available.

What could happen is that a manager could authorize the 3 months offer on a second purchase or later if it will close the deal. On certain occasions the financing offers will only be available on certain manufacturers or above a certain price point and a manager may authorize using the financing on a non-qualifying purchase.

In general, they dont allow such things, and its often just not possible, so if the salesperson and his manager say they cant give you 12 months with no interest or payments, its probably the truth.