So GM and Ford are stuffed..

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by popinfresh, Oct 21, 2005.

1. popinfresh

Dec 23, 2004
    Melbourne, Aus
    I don't know how many of you guys are into your cars, but GM and Ford are going down the drain, losing into the billions in the last year or so (can't remember exact numbers and can't be bothered finding an article right now). GM just sacked 20,000 workers and Ford's just announced that it'l be closing plants and cutting back as well.
    Mainly due to fuel prices and Asian imports.

Personally I think both companies should start to get with the times and younger crowds as well as looking into lighter performance engines which use less fuel. It's the only way I think we'll see these companies around in 20 years or so.
    One sport I think they need to get into (especially ford) is drifting. I know over here the 1000hp CAPA holden ute is doing quite well in the drifts and is earning alot of respect in that crowd.

Anyone have any input on this, or does no one care about their American car makers? lol.
  2. I don't think that appealing to one niche market is going to solve GM or Ford's problems.

3. popinfresh

Dec 23, 2004
    Melbourne, Aus
    ^^That's not what I meant. I just think it'd be a good area to get into. I mean, why not? They basically race in everything else and drifting is ever increasing..
  4. darkfish01

Feb 11, 2005
    San Marcos, Tx
    We need to stop importing so much and moving jobs overseas. Washington warned us about this over two-hundred years ago. WE DIDN'T LISTEN!! (For anyone who caught South Park last night)
  5. DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    GM has already taken some of the steps that you've suggested.

brad cook
  6. buzzbass

buzzbass Shoo Shoo Retarded Flu !

Apr 23, 2003
    It's not a sport anyway. In any other RACING series in the world, driving like that will get you fired. It's just an excuse for guys who don't know the proper teechniques for taking a curve fast to CLAIM that they're race car drivers. Drifting is dumb and just another unfortunate off shoot of the whole ricer fast 'n furious culture. :rollno: :spit:
  7. popinfresh

Dec 23, 2004
    Melbourne, Aus
    ^^I'd have to agree. Seems peoples wallets don't though.

Brad - Whats GM doing over in your side of the world?

The last thing holden did over here was release a 6.0ltr range. Even though it's got DOD I think people will get put off by it's size.
    Pitty ford can't do DOD because of OHC.
  8. Bassic83

Jul 26, 2004
    Texas, USSA
    GM and Ford should just move their corporate offices to Mumbai or Bangalore.

That said, the reason GM and Ford are so slow to respond to designing fuel efficient vehicles is because of their size and corporate culture. They're used to building big gas-guzzlers, because that's what the 'Mercan People wanted. Now that gas has popped $3 a gallon, it's starting to hurt people. The 'Mercan People want fuel-efficient cars, and if they could come up with a vehicle that was approximately 3 times bigger than a Ford Extrusion while getting 50 mpg, it would be a runaway best-seller. But they can't, and they won't. The message doesn't get passed up the food chain fast enough, and even if it did, the top brass wouldn't do anything about it- their profit margin is the ONLY thing they understand.
  9. SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Isn't Toyota in position to be outselling American cars in America in the next couple of years?
  10. Bassic83

Jul 26, 2004
    Texas, USSA
    I think so...Toyotas are pretty decent, last a little longer than GM and Ford's planned obsolescence. I look for China to come on strong in American markets as well in the next couple years. KIA/Hyundai have come a LONG way in quality in the past few years. I had a Sephia that I bought new in 2000, and it was a great little car. It met its demise being hit by a Ford F250 dually crew-cab and in the process being shoved through the wall of the club I was playing that nite.
  11. popinfresh

Dec 23, 2004
    Melbourne, Aus
    I heard Toyota recently did outsell Ford and GM in the states??
  12. JazznFunk

JazznFunk Supporting Member

Mar 26, 2000
    Asheville, NC
    Lakland Basses Artist
    the biggest problem with american cars is that they have stuck to the same formulas for years. plus, whoever has been designing for Ford, GM, Dodge, etc. needs to research their European counterparts a bit more to get a perspective on better design. american cars are seemingly always lacking in good design aesthetics, both inside and out, so they try to make up for that by stuffing an insanely overpowered and fuel-inefficient engine under the hood to make up for it. if they'd cut the weight, design a more aerodynamic package, and consider using a more efficient 4 or 6 cylinder engine and cutting the damn V8's they spit out, there might be hope. all power, no finesse, no sense of efficiency in design seems to be the mantra for american cars in at least the last what... 20 years? i think the only car that has come close in the last 10 years or so in terms of an overall design aesthetic and power package was, randomly enough, the pontiac grand prix when they overhauled it in 96 or 97 and gave it a completely new look. instead of downsizing their companies, american car companies should downsize their cars... and for pete's sake, get rid of suv's. :rolleyes:
  13. Bassic83

Jul 26, 2004
    Texas, USSA
    Camry is the best selling car in the US. Ford has the best selling pickup. But I look for the Chinese to come on strong and dominate the auto market in the coming years. While we don't have any of them here now, they are poised to pounce on the US with a vengeance. They're in a position similar to where KIA was just a few short years ago. They have a good product, at a good price, but no dealerships in the US. I look for them to start showing up over here within 5 years. They may dominate in 10-15 years. In another 25 years, I bet we all speak Chinese. Fluently.
  14. 43% burnt

43% burnt an actor who wants to run the whole show

May 4, 2004
    Bridgeport, CT
    I really enjoy a nice Ford. I love my explorer. It's been a solid, reliable ride. I don't love the gas mileage though. However, I still want a new F-150 Fx4.
  15. Tsal

Jan 28, 2000
    Finland, EU
    I wouldn't be surprised if Toyota would be outselling everyone. Toyotas tend to have a bit "cheap" reputation around here, but I was surprised how nice the recent models from Toyota are, and their reliability is top class.

I recently saw some results from the European car inspection organizations, mainly Sweden and Germany IIRC, which basicly said that different Toyota models had at least two top5-positions in the least amount of serious malfunctions in every age group from ten years back until now, and these tests included every model that have sold in the particular countries that year. The only manufacturer to give Toyota any competition was Porsche, I believe.. :eek:
  16. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    Does anyone really believe that GM and Ford are going to go out of business? I don't.

17. hyperlitem

hyperlitem Guest

Jul 25, 2001
    Indianapolis, IN
    isnt holden owned by GM???
  18. Bassic83

Jul 26, 2004
    Texas, USSA
    The US gov't won't let them fail. They'll bail them out just like they did Chrysler in the 80's-90's. And I think Holden is a GM subsidiary, yup, here's the link . Like Vauxhall is a GM subsidiary.
  19. tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Yep, explains why the new GTO is really a rebadged Holden Manaro. I love Holden designs and want them to rebadge the Ute as the new El Camino. :p

Anyway, American cars will always sell to American car lovers, there are die hards out there such as myself, and I would only sell my GMC for another GM product. Simple as that.