Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

So has anyone seen metallica in concert?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by MCT, May 24, 2005.

1. MCT

MCT

Apr 11, 2005
    I was wondering how they've been live ever since they added Rob from people that have seen them before and now? I don't know exactly what I'm asking... but didn't Newstead do cool solos stuff during the show (Cunning Stunts)? I was wondering if they let Rob do the same,

2. PhatBasstard

PhatBasstard Spector Dissector Supporting Member

Feb 3, 2002
    Las Vegas, NV.
    Saw them about a year before Cliff Burton was killed, at a big rock festival. They were easily the worst sounding/playing band there. Only seen them on TV since. Maybe "fixed in the mix" but they sound/play worlds better.

3. Clayman

Clayman

Nov 26, 2002
    Richmond, VA
    I have not seen them with Rob on bass but I have seen them in both of their other incarnations.

I saw them the first time with Ozzy on the Master of Puppets tour. It was James’ birthday and he had a broken wrist at the time and the guy (can’t remember his name) who eventually joined Metal Church was playing his parts for him off stage. They were great! Their energy and speed left everyone feeling so drained that by the time Ozzy hit the stage it was a bit of a let down. I can’t remember now if Cliff took a solo or not, forgive me it was a while back. Their set was not that long if I remember correctly but very solid.

I saw them a second time with Queensryche on the Justice tour. Queensryche did the whole Operation Mindcrime album, very cool. Anyway, Metallica were very good again and the playing seemed even tighter than when I had seen them before. Jason did take a “solo” but it was weak IMO, just a lot of effects and incoherent noodling. Don’t get me wrong I generally liked Newstead’s playing, but that was awful.

I have seen Rob play with Suicidal Tendencies and with Ozzy. He is a monster player. I can only imagine that they are equally good if not better with him on bass than with Jason.

I can't say I'm a fan of their's any more to be honest. They just don't do it for me any more.

4. Tash

Tash

Feb 13, 2005
    Bel Air Maryland
    I saw them in 98 with Jason. I wasn't impressed. They had their moments but, except for Jason (who was flawless), they were mediocre with occasional bouts of suck.

The high point of the show was James forgetting how to play the intro to "Four Horsemen"...

5. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    I have seen them three times with Trujillo. He is rock solid and the band is very tight. He took a different solo everytime I have seen them.

First Time - original solo with a ton of effects.
    Second Time - Orion, and then the band joined in for a few bars.
    Third Time - The Immigrant Song (slapped), dead note rythym, and then the intro to My Friend of Misery.

6. cassanova

cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    Florida
    I saw them back in 1992 at William Brice Stadium in Charlston SC. I thought they were pretty damn good. Hetfield wasn't playing guitar that night his arm was burned from a pyrotechnics accident and the guitarist from Testament was filling in for him.

7. MCT

MCT

Apr 11, 2005
    I would have loved to see that. Any videos? Can someone hook me up?

8. fr0me0

fr0me0

Dec 7, 2004
    Winnipeg Canada
    he took off his bass and did this boxer style dance. looked pretty stupid.

9. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Wasn't impressed with Trujillo's playing, don't recall a solo, nothing that blew me away.

10. Is Hetfield accident prone or just not very good at playing live?

11. Tash

Tash

Feb 13, 2005
    Bel Air Maryland
    Both :)

Actually James has been a very tight player in the past. When I saw them it was obvious that no one in the band gave a f*ck how they sounded, I doubt Hetfield had picked up a guitar other than a concert in a t least 6 months.

As for accidents I can recall only two: breaking his wrist/arm skateboarding on the US Puppets tour, and standing over a pyro device in Montreal on the black album tour. Both resulted in extended periods where he couldn't play and a ringer was brought in. I recall reading an interview once about John Marshall, apparently he hid backstage because he had awful stagefright playing with Metallica. He would come out and bow at the end of the set then scamper off again.

12. johnvice

johnvice

Sep 7, 2004
    I saw them once...technically twice as opening acts. Great musicianship but the sound was horrible..from the PA that is. It's maddening when the soundman clicks the "make everthing sound good": switch just as the headliner hits the stage...

I say techincally becuase I saw them opening for Guns 'n Roses in about 1991 (right before the release of "Use Your Illusion"). Metallica wern't playing more than 15 minutes when James Hetfield got too close to a flashpot.... Metallica's set stopped immeditaley. G&R must have been rushed onto the stage early to prevent a riot. Axel was pissed and had one of his famous hissy fits and stormed of the stage early.

Nothing like good value for your money at a concert!

13. christoph h.

christoph h.

Mar 26, 2001
    Germany
    i saw them at a festival in 2003 or 2004. i was pretty impressed by their performance, since i usually don't like them at all.

14. konfishily

konfishily

Jan 24, 2004
    Brooklyn, NY
    I think their woodstock 99 performance was the best

15. I've seen them twice with Rob, never with Jason or Cliff though. I was in the crowd at the 2003 Reading festival, and the second night of their Earls Court shows in December '03. Both times they were tight as a duck's backside. I didn't think the mix was too forgiving on Rob though, I had a hard time picking him out both times.

16. The Nanny

The Nanny

Dec 23, 2004
    Ottawa, Canada
    I've seen them 8 times...once with Cliff...6 times with Jason...and once with Rob.

The most entertaining show with the Re-Load tour.

From a bassists perspective, Rob was the most impressive live. The sound mix at the concert with Cliff was not that great, and the bass has little clarity except to provide a low rumble. This is tough for me to say because I LOVED Cliff. Jason was always...OK. They had better sound systems than in the early days, so the show was better. Jason's solos were good. Rob's blew my hair back...sign of a great bass solo? When the NON-BASSISTS were talking about it after the show.

That said, I'd love to go back in time and see that Cliff show again (Master of Puppets tour).

The Nanny

17. BassGod

BassGod

Jan 21, 2004
    I saw Metallica last October with Rob. He did a really song solo... at first with tonnes of effects, then the next segement was a slap solo, and finally into 'Orion', and the rest of the band joined in after a few bars. I thought they were really tight. Kirk pulled off his solos perfectly, Lars and Rob both played really well. Even James' voice was really good, considering his vocals have gotten progressivley cleaner over the past few albums. The only mistake I caught was James messing up the vocals in 'Creeping Death'. All around a great show, and the set list was absolutely killer!

Graeme

18. bassman314

bassman314 I seem to be a verb, an evolutionary process... Gold Supporting Member

Mar 13, 2005
    Bay Area, CA
    1996 Lollapalooza....

Metallica, Soundgarden, Screaming Trees, and Psychotica on the main stage...

Mudhoney was on the second stage *L*

Gorge Amphitheatre... I was at the wall for Soundgarden and Metallica...

I barely remember the show 'cause I was crashing and burning from dehydration.. but I remember that Metallica ripped it up!!

19. I saw them live in oslo last year...The sound was horrible, so I really can't comment on their playing there..But I've heard countless bootlegs, and they are indeed pretty tight live! Believe it or not, but Mr. Ulrich isn't as bad as everyone says.

20. i saw them in 2003...rob is cool live, he's all over the place, very entertaining, and a great player.