Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

So have we had any other Mesa BB750's melting??

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Danm, Feb 28, 2005.

1. Danm

Danm

Sep 24, 2003
    Canberra Australia
    Saw the threads while I was doing a search earlier & was wondering if there had been any other occurances of this phenomina????

Was looking at a few Mesa rigs today ( I left the credit card at home ) and was liking what I was hearing.... Love the Powerhouse 6x10 cab and was thinking it might go nice with a BB.... Being that that's only a 4ohm load I'd still have room to rig up some more cabs if needed ( probably not but nice to have the option )... Maybe some 15's if I really wanted to do some damage :hyper: :hyper:

So, do they still melt @ 2ohms?????

Or would I be better off with an MPulse 600 & the 6x10???

Playing pretty much straight up rock with a Stingray 4 ( not a whole lot of slappin & poppin going on )..

Cheers for any info

Dan

2. popinfresh

popinfresh

Dec 23, 2004
    Melbourne, Aus
    Go a Mesa 400+ if you want a 2ohm load. The BB750 is fine I say, I know two or three people that run their BB down at 2ohms every gig and they've never had a problem. I was looking at one... but thought if i want the beefier sound other the more hi fi sound of a 600, might as well go tube :)

3. popinfresh

popinfresh

Dec 23, 2004
    Melbourne, Aus
    By the way, how did that 610 go? Was there much low end out of it? Lots of punch?

4. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    They don't melt at 2 ohms.

Every company has a certain acceptable limit of failure of their amps. If Mesa was having tons of problems with these amps, it wouldn't be cost efficient for them to make them and then fix them. So we've seen a thread about two BB750s going down; so what? We've seen threads about Ampegs, TEs, Ashdowns, etc., all breaking, smoking, blowing up, catching on fire... this doesn't meant that these companies can't make a good amp. We just tend to remember the few bad stories vs. the millions of good stories you hear.

I have 6 Mesa amps, some 20 years old. I have NEVER had a problem with any of them. Go buy the amp you want, and don't worry about a few isolated incidents.

5. Danm

Danm

Sep 24, 2003
    Canberra Australia
    I wasn't particularly worried Ben, just checking to see if it had happened again ( although I'm sure we would have heard about it if it had )...

Have used Mesa Guitar Amps for a lotta years ( Had a Studio 22 when I was about 15yrs old ) and never found them to have problems although that 22 did have a bad tranny when I first got it but it was shipped back & fixed within days and that's in Australia.......

The 6x10 is a nice cab for my uses... I didn't actually get my hands on it myself ( plenty of time for that ) but the doode in the shop had an SR5 ( I only play a 4 ) with an Ashdown Labs Mark King Sig head through it and it sounded great.. My vision was blurring at one stage!!!! It didn't sound quite like it was eating the B string for breakfast but it wasn't farting for that matter either... Like I said though, for me ( being a 4 banger only kinda guy ) it should be great.

The 400+ is about $5k out here which may limit me, I can get the BB/600 for closer to $3k....

Will be doing more extensive testing when I've finally got my finances sorted ( should only be a week or 2 )... I'll report my findings then.

Then to sell off my old rig.

I love shopping!! :hyper: :bassist: :hyper: :bassist:

6. popinfresh

popinfresh

Dec 23, 2004
    Melbourne, Aus
    Hmm, really? I've seen the 400+ retailed here at around $4300 (I think). How/where in Aus can you get a BB/600 for around $3000? Our local stores won't really go down past 3700-3800. I'm thinking a 610/2x15 as my big rig, but i've just got my Mesa 1516, so that might change things a bit.. Still interested on the Mesa 610's ( i was told there were none at the aus distrabutors at the moment... and my store won't just order one in for me to play..)

Also, how much are you going to sell your 2x12 combo for? I need something smaller and lighter for band practices..

7. Danm

Danm

Sep 24, 2003
    Canberra Australia
    My local shop here in Canberra has a 6x10 in stock which is good... I thought about the 6x10+2x15 but it's total overkill for me.... Would be nice though.. Although I think the 2x15 is an 8ohm cab which would throw out the balance a bit...

If I could get a 400+ for $4300 i'd probably think about getting one but it's closer to $5 from the pricing I've been getting ( might be able to do a little better than that ).. The BB/600 would be in the low to mid $3k range for me from what I've been hearing.....

Hadn't thought too much about how much I want for my combo, maybe $1-1.5 ish..... It's only a year old & they retail at about $1900... Not exactly small and light ( it's about 43kg but has popout wheels ) great combo though.. Send me a pm if you wanna discuss it ( not sure we should be talking about this here.... Sorry if it's a booboo )

Cheers,

D