So how about them roto sounds

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by bryan bailey, Feb 19, 2003.

1. Uh, any tried or uses roto sound pressure wound strings. I am rather intrigued in how they play, sound, etc. Any response would be cool. (about the strings)
  2. I haven't used the pressure wounds to date, but I have a set of the flatwounds (the 77s) on my fretless and just love them.
  3. BassWizard55

BassWizard55 Guest

Dec 21, 2002
    Rome, Ga
    That comment makes me value your opinion with the highest respect.

Why the hate btw?
  4. I'm sure they're sleeping with my wife .

Seriously , they've given me nothing but problems .
  5. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

I hate them Rostosounds as well - those bastards, how could they sleep with Aaren's wife!! :mad:
  6. joke
    (click to hear the word) (jk)
    Something said or done to evoke laughter or amusement, especially an amusing story with a punch line.
    A mischievous trick; a prank.
    An amusing or ludicrous incident or situation.
    Something not to be taken seriously; a triviality: The accident was no joke.
    An object of amusement or laughter; a laughingstock: His loud tie was the joke of the office.
    v. joked, jok·ing, jokes
    v. intr.
    To tell or play jokes; jest.
    To speak in fun; be facetious.
    v. tr.
    To make fun of; tease.

[Latin iocus; see yek- in Indo-European roots.]
    joking·ly adv.
    Synonyms: joke, jest, witticism, quip, sally, crack, wisecrack, gag
    These nouns refer to something that is said or done in order to evoke laughter or amusement. Joke especially denotes an amusing story with a punch line at the end: told jokes at the party. Jest suggests frolicsome humor: amusing jests that defused the tense situation. A witticism is a witty, usually cleverly phrased remark: a speech full of witticisms. A quip is a clever, pointed, often sarcastic remark: responded to the tough questions with quips. Sally denotes a sudden quick witticism: ended the debate with a brilliant sally. Crack and wisecrack refer less formally to flippant or sarcastic retorts: made a crack about my driving ability; punished for making wisecracks in class. Gag is principally applicable to a broadly comic remark or to comic by-play in a theatrical routine: one of the most memorable gags in the history of vaudeville.

C'mon , you didn't think I actually hated them , did you ?

I think I took finding them in bed with my wife pretty well , actually . :rolleyes: :D
  7. CS

Dec 11, 1999
    That probably accounts for the fact that the last two sets were lifeless out of the packet.
  8. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

I thought you were going to say they had no "staying power"...!! ;)
  9. Mike

Sep 7, 2000
    Never liked Roto's either. THey have the most abrasive feel of any string I've ever tried. I think they would be best as cheese cutters.
  10. I have never had a lot of love for the rotosounds but my favorite strings are GHS pressurewounds. I love'em. Tried what seems like millions of makes and models of strings and I still go back to the GHS pressurewounds each time. I use them on my fretless, my rickenbacker, my travis bean, my G&L, my tobias and in the end I get nothing but compliments. I play rather aggresively and they help eliminate a lot of the unwanted buzzing. They are nice and smooth feeling and last a long time. I don't like a super earpiercing bright sting nor do I want something as smooth as a flat and these are perfectly in the middle. Cheapest place I have found to get them from is Elderly instruments (
  11. Well I guess when my strep is gone I will venture outside and buy some pressure wounds, I'm not sure what company, but pressure wounds. I guess it will depend on what's at Daddy's or G Center

12. I tried Roto pressurewourds, they were horrible. Low output, rough abrasive feel, bad sound, totally different tension from string to string. About the worst set of strings I've ever tried.

I'm now using GHS Brite Flats - from what I've been told, they're groundwounds really (that's the same as pressurewounds, just a different name) and they're just lightyears better. IMHO, if you're gonna use groundwounds, use those GHS ones.

It's a pity, because IME the flats (swingbass 66 I think) are excellent, the best I've ever used, and the roundwounds aren't bad either.

My 2pence.
  13. :eek: :eek: :D :p
  14. notduane

Nov 24, 2000
    Never tried their pressure wounds, but I just had to pitch TWO
    sets of RS88-LD's (tapewounds).

I thought those stories about inconsistent quality control were crap.

Oh well :(.
  15. I didn't get the roto sounds, I got some DR lo-riders stainless, they are compression wound, I don't know how they sound though, cause I currently have no bass to put them on, but I will in a couple of days:D

I'll send pictures, and a sound clip if I can get to it:bassist: