Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

so how bout that curry?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by fenderx55, Jan 24, 2006.

1. fenderx55

fenderx55

Jan 15, 2005
    NYC/Queens
    I went to spain with my honors program for a week over break and because beer is cheaper than water and they feed you with pretty much each round, I gained some weight and misplaced my abs.

I got back to school and pretty much changed my diet around: I've been going through cases of clementines, been eating sardines on italian bread for lunch or dinner (lots of omega-3s and vit. D) and I cut down on the drinking...kinda. :bag:

But today I rediscovered something I love: the dude on Houston that sells curry chicken over rice from a cart for 4 bucks. It's a good amount of food and it's delicious. I've heard tales of curry being good for the mind in staving off alzheimer's (something of importance in my family) but am I undoing the 2 miles i just ran at the gym when I eat it?

btw, this isn't a discussion on the deliciousness of curry. Some love it, some hate it. My roommate's half iranian/half british. There's alot of it floating around.

2. Argh. House has warped my brain when it comes to curry.

Damn Sela Ward. Damn her!

3. fenderx55

fenderx55

Jan 15, 2005
    NYC/Queens
    I <3 house. It's not that kinda curry. Like chicken cooked in the spice, not the stew kind.

Though the stew kind is quite awesome...

4. Thor

Thor Moderator Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

The curried chicken won't hurt you. The rice on the other hand, well, opinions vary.

All that being said, I use Patak's red curry paste. Great
    item. Comes in Hot and Mild. Use it to soup up an otherwise
    boring meal.

5. 1. Fry a finely chopped onion or two with a clove or two of garlic.
    2. Add chopped chicken breast / assorted veggies e.g. capsicums (bell peppers), part boiled potato, sweet potato, squash, mushrooms, chick peas.
    3. Fry up for a short while until meat is cooked.
    4. Add a large spoon of Patak's curry paste (to taste, up to half a jar) and stir to mix up paste with other ingredients. The pan will get dry at this stage.
    5. Add a splash of water to form a nice gravy.
    6. (Optional and in place of the water) add a tin of chopped tomatoes.
    7. Add cilantro / coriander.
    8. Serve... Enjoy.

Instant curry heaven.

For a dry curry, mix together curry paste with yoghurt, crushed garlic, cilantro / coriander and slap it with the meat / veggies in a bag to marinade. Remove from the bag and roast in an oven.

Oh yeah, and the amount of clarified butter in yer average curry is enough to make a cardiologist faint!
    [​IMG]

6. Man, that looks delicous! Vindaloo tonite.

7. And I had always heard that the English couldn't cook. Don't tell me, you are a chef in an Indian or Pakistani restaurant? My salivary glands are working overtime!

8. Passinwind

Passinwind I Know Nothing Supporting Member

Depends. We have dozens of different recipes in our cookbooks, and some are mega-clot material, while others are pretty benign. We tend to like the Thai coconut-based (milk or oil, depending) ones the best, and never use butter in any of ours. But coconut products have their own liabilities too. You might want to read up on that and decide for yourself how you feel about it.

I grow my own Thai chillies, and never use commercial curry powder or paste. It's a fair bit of work to do many of them, so we do keep a homemade paste base in the freezer. I highly recommend the book Real Thai, by Nancie McDermott, ISBN# 0-8118-0017-2, for a nice assortment of Thai curry recipes. I love the various other styles too though. The ones I tried in Grenada blew my mind. Scotch Bonnets and fresh local spices and seafood are hard to beat, oh man.

9. You'll laugh even harder when you find out I'm a Scotsman... And no, I'm not a chef. I'm a statistician. :D

10. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    I recently discovered a really nice traditional indian restaurant out here, so, I'll be sure to eat copious amounts of curry so that I might have input on this thread.

11. cheezewiz

cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio
    The bread you're putting your sardines on sure isn't helping matters. As far as curry, I love the stuff.