Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

so, how bout those '73 tele basses eh?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by f'nar f'nar, Feb 12, 2005.

1. I've become super supe interested in these basses and was really looking for some opinions from those who have them, have played them, have had any experience with them.

So give us some opinions, pictures (as i may buy one and wanna know what finish to get etc) and some sound clips too! Thanks y'all!

2. JayAmel

JayAmel Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2002
    Aurillac, France
    I had a 1972 one, with the humbucker.
    Wonderful playing comfort, muddy tone.

3. hieronymous

hieronymous

Nov 28, 2002
    Northern CA
    I've got the humbucker one, not sure what year though. I think it's great! incredibly chunky neck. The humbucker basically *only* puts out bass frequencies, and is extremely high-gain. I remember reading somewhere that the guy who designed the Gibson EB humbuckers was also responsible for the Fender Tele bass humbucker? If you expect to slap (or hear any treble whatsoever) then forget it, but if you want 200% pure *BASS* then this is a great instrument.

4. KayCee

KayCee

Oct 4, 2004
    Shawnee, KS
    I bought a '74 model new back in the day...It's a bass that looks better than it sounds. It will produce treble, but nothing pleasant, IMO. Plus, the lack of body countour (it's squared off like a Tele, too), isn't nearly as comfortable as the P or J basses. Many of these basses were modified with other pickups in order to make them sound better.

Unless you are buying as a collector, I suggest that you play one before buying.

If you like the body styling, I'd suggest an old, old P bass (ala Sting's).

Hope this helps.

Andy