Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

So how do I start a band? I need tips....

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by de la mocha, Jan 20, 2006.

1. de la mocha

de la mocha

Aug 20, 2005
    NEW JERSEY
    I live in an urban "hood" in New Jersey and everybody is into hip hop and R&B and wants to either sing or rap, but nobody is into playing instruments.

Now, I love ska, reggea, and classic rock, even alternative. I've been playing the bass for 4 years now and mostly record at home for my own enjoyment or play at church on sundays.

Now, I've been trying to find a group of people I can jam with, or practice with and ultimately form a band and record.
    Now I've tried the news paper route, Craig's list, and the ads in music stores but I either attract incompatible people, wierdos, or people who are not into my style like death metal and satanic stuff.

Now even though my goal is to be the next band of gypsies :D I'm also realistic and just want a group of decent, honest, down to earth, and talented people to at least practice and jam with. What should I do?

:help:

2. pklima

pklima

May 2, 2003
    Kraków, Polska
    Tell the people you play with at church and any other musicians you know (even if they're twice your age and play instruments you have no use for) that you're looking to form a band. Maybe they know somebody. Don't make enemies of all the incompatible weirdo Satanists. Who knows - maybe they know some other "boring normal guys who like boring normal music"?

Post ads that say "Bassist seeks decent, honest, down to earth people to at least practice and jam with. 26 years old." Notice I edited out the "and talented" part. If you have gear and a car, put that in the ad also.

3. de la mocha

de la mocha

Aug 20, 2005
    NEW JERSEY
    You see, that's why I love this forum. Thanks for the sound advice. I'll post the new add on craig's list first before I throw away more money placing an add in the paper.

4. buzzbass

buzzbass Shoo Shoo Retarded Flu !

Apr 23, 2003
    NJ
    Check out JerseyJam.com & themode.com for local (NJ) musicians wanted ads.

5. pigpen02

pigpen02

Mar 24, 2002
    Go out to see local bands and take the time to talk with the musicians, they can turn you on to things never posted in the paper, craigslist, etc.

Network.