1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

So, how do YOU play crossroads?

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by jmverdugo, Sep 27, 2013.

1. jmverdugo

jmverdugo

Oct 11, 2012
    Katy TX
    After a long and stressing day of my "making money" job i got home wanting to do some music and thinking that I have to put together my act with Crossroads and play just one version and stick with it, you know how drummers and guitar players are when you improvise a little... anywhooo, this is how I'm going to be playing Crossroads in the near future, it is pretty much how I have been playing it but simplified for the sake of the song.

Crossroads By me

However I could not find one single version that was repeated which got me thinking, since this song is actually very jam-able, probably each and everybody plays their own version (as it should be by they way)...

So how do you play it?

2. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Very nice playing, but I sense you holding back a bit, like you went a little too far in the other direction. Don't want to tell you how to get along in your band...for all I know they could legit gripes about your previous versions ;) but I think there might be a happy medium between what you used to do and what you did there. Then again, you did do a lot of cool stuff at times, so don't think that I think it was bad or anything. On the contrary...you play quite well. Maybe you just need to play it a couple times that way with the band and see what happens.

As for me, I haven't played it in years, but I always played it sort of similar...a few different note choices, at times a little more Skynyrd than Cream (I'm from Florida so I can be forgiven), but then I'd go off on my own thing as well. That's the important thing...bringing your own energy to it.

3. mntngrown

mntngrown Supporting Member

Aug 18, 2007
    Sierra's
    You are a very accomplished finger style player, and can obviously play the lick anyway you want.
    First thing to clear the air with is Robert Johnson did not have a bass player on the earliest recording of this song.
    He did it by himself. Next point we will assume you are grooving a Cream/Clapton version with a bass player in the mix. I will review on youtube. But the only point I would suggest is please review the last note of the riff. If you are playing it in G the last note,( in my mind) is A sharp or B flat. I submit this without doing my homework, but I think you are missing the little finger blue note. I will apologize later if I find I am wrong in the Clapton catalog Nice playing bro.

4. mntngrown

mntngrown Supporting Member

Aug 18, 2007
    Sierra's
    OK I see you are playing it in A and you do hit the note intermittently, so you know it. It just seems "missing" to me when you play the octave instead. What do I know. I am just a music fan who plays bass. Off to Youtube. Thanks for your post!

5. jmverdugo

jmverdugo

Oct 11, 2012
    Katy TX
    Hi guys, thanks for your post. Yes I do hold back a little on this one, the drummer sings this one and it is not an easy to job by any means so we try to play it simple and honestly it sounds really good ... But is fine because I get back on this one!:

Funk # 49

Mntngrown, yes I usually interchange the baseline, sometimes I play it like the bluess scale others with the octave, in no particular order of preference by the way...

6. Ric5

Ric5 Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 29, 2008
    Colorado
    I grow organic carrots and they are not for sale

7. huckleberry1

huckleberry1

Jul 1, 2013
    Mesquite, Texas
    student
    I enjoyed it, nice chops

8. JTE

JTE Supporting Member

Mar 12, 2008
    Central Illinois, USA
    I play it with a mash up of every version I've ever heard of it in my head- the "Wheels Of Fire" and the Royal Albert Hall versions by Cream, the Powerhouse version (Winwood, Clapton, and some others for a pre-Cream one-off British album), Clapton's various live versions at much different tempi and grooves from Derek & The Dominoes through at least 2000, Ten Years After's version, and of course Robert Johnson's version is always in my head, though I try to keep Skynyrd's version from creeping in.

It really comes down to the individual drummers and guitarists, as well as whether it's a trio, or there are other instruments. LISTEN to each other and make music.

John