So how do you support your bass playing?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Casey C., Aug 20, 2002.

1. Casey C.

Casey C.

Sep 16, 2000
    Butler, PA, USA
    What do you guys do to pay the bills, aid the GAS, etc.?:D

Since I'm only a student I can only do certain jobs. Right now I mow lawns for a descent ammount of cash and I find misc. jobs to give my savings a boost. But summer will be over soon and I will have to find an acual job where I get paid minimum wage. No clue where I will be going, just not into fast food I know that.
  2. Pacman

Pacman Layin' Down Time Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Endorsing Artist: Roscoe Guitars, DR Strings, Aguilar Amplification
    By playing bass.
  3. Dave Castelo

Dave Castelo

Apr 19, 2000
    I get my money from the wife of some ex-president from Zaire, she e-mailed ME for help...

some transactions from the Swiss bank and i got my part! yay!...
  4. Gia

Feb 28, 2001
    By being a good daughter :p
  5. Prostitution.... :eek:

Government Allowance because i am studying full time.

6. Dave Castelo

Dave Castelo

Apr 19, 2000
    people have the strangest fetishes nowadays :D
  7. jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA

8. rllefebv

Oct 17, 2000
    Newberg, Oregon
    'Tritto'... (Is that a word??)

Actually, I have a day job, but money from gigs supports my habit, (when my wife lets me spend it on gear that is...) :)

9. Excess scholarship money

Pay attention and get good grades in high school, kids! :D
  10. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    Dammit Jon, every time someone asks this question you beat me to the punch with this answer. One of these days, Packard...One of these days......
  11. Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    Work. My pay is far from being the greatest, but I still manage to get $500 (or more) left after the bills are payed each month. Low rent, low living costs. I only buy cheap food, I almost never buy new clothes, I don't party (well, 3 or 4 times a year), stuff like that. I spend my money on toys instead. :D

By doing this I've managed to get a good amount of cash stashed away... I could buy a new Celinder or EBS rig TODAY, but I'm smarter than that - I still don't know if I get to keep my job longer than my present contract says... as much as I like basses, if I had to choose between them and food, I'd rather eat. :D
  12. I sit behind my desk playing dungeon-siege all day, while my boss thinks i'm actually doing some work...

uhm.. nevermind :D
  13. This things always worked to me:

1) "Dad you're the best... that bass is just what i need... can you... $$$"
    2) Selling old stuff
    3) Fixing dead PCs... thanks Microsoft!

Full time Engineering student.... i can't do anything better by the moment.

14. Ívar Þórólfsson

Ívar Þórólfsson Mmmmmm... Supporting Member

Apr 9, 2001
    Kopavogur, Iceland
    I work full time in the computer department of the largest hospital here in Iceland.
  15. Quality Manager in an American Electronics company!
  16. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

I can believe it! But shouldn't that be playing dungeon-siege and moderating on TB! ;)
  17. Howard K

Howard K

Feb 14, 2002
    I support my bass playing with a strap.. it kinda holds the bass up while I play it. :D

I support my serious issue with buying nice gear all the time by working for (that's Yellow Pages online, in the UK). I analyse web site traffic. It has it's interesting moments, but in general I only do it cause it pays and I'd much rather be a bass player for a living!