1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

So how do you tick off a gui**** player?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Caca de Kick, Aug 23, 2007.

1. Caca de Kick

Caca de Kick Supporting Member

Nov 18, 2002
    Seattle / Tacoma
    Show up with this! Yup, my guitarist was not enthused! :meh:

DSC02197.
    DSC02198.

I've had the one 400 and the two cabs since 1991, has always sounded beautiful. But I got a wild hair to get another 400 to experiment with or whatever. I used to have a D180 as a backup before, but never ran the two heads together. Last night I ran both 400's...shook the industrial building we rehearse in...yeah a little too much bass! :cool:

2. MrLenny

MrLenny

Jun 10, 2006
    So. N.H.
    Don't lay down the bottom(root) and play like
    a guitar player.

3. Webtroll

Webtroll Rolling for initiative

Apr 23, 2006
    Austin, TX
    Sweeeeeeet!

4. ROON

ROON

Aug 5, 2006
    Sydney, Australia
    WOW... Just.... wow!!! Nice rig, and nice Ray. :)

5. chaosMK

chaosMK

May 26, 2005
    Albuquerque, NM
    Hi-fi into an old tube amp
    Nice!

I pissed off my whole band for a few shows because I decided to experiment with overdrive.... cranking the master to about 10 and drowning out the whole band.

It was poor judgement, and maybe even in slightly bad taste, but I've been telling everyone that I just try to "bring it" every show and no one else "brought it" as much as me.

6. lowendgenerator

lowendgenerator

Mar 26, 2006
    CHI/NWI
    Now THAT is cool. I have questions... Are those 4 separate cabs in 2 giant roller racks or are they 2 big cabs?

7. MarkMyWordsXx

MarkMyWordsXx

May 17, 2006
    no they like that, then they can say your trying to be like them

the trick it, to do it better then them

8. rockwarnick

rockwarnick

Jul 29, 2006
    Rockville, MD
    Tick off the guitarist?...

1. Play his lines but more clearly and sometimes faster. And to top it off, without looking at the fretboard.

2. Expand/improve his licks.

3. Play chords. This may not sound that bad but the non-musicians tend to look at me with a "You can play chords too?!" expression. Priceless.

4. Play their lines with my right hand and add a bass line with my left.

5. Tell them what key they are in/what chords they're playing. Usually embarasses them.

9. JonathanD

JonathanD

Dec 13, 2006
    Atlanta, GA
    What I do is take off all the knobs from his amp turn them about 5 numbers and put them back on the post without moving the post. So now a volume of 1 is 6. He will keep putting the knobs where he use to have them and be perplexed.
    Or just move the master volume knob so that he is down 3-4 clicks but still looks like he it turned up.

10. funkybassplayer

funkybassplayer Commercial User

Sep 16, 2003
    Longview, TX
    Nordstrand Audio
    play everything a half step flat. that or sleep with his mom.

11. CraigG

CraigG

Mar 14, 2006
    Mechanicsburg, PA

Yep, that'll do it. Guitar players hate to be shown up by the bass player. :bawl: They have absolutely no idea what to do with themselves when their air space is crowded.

Craig

12. rockwarnick

rockwarnick

Jul 29, 2006
    Rockville, MD
    We have a winner.

13. El-Bob

El-Bob Supporting Member

Oct 22, 2006
    Hamilton, ON
    i know that feeling:D

14. Caca de Kick

Caca de Kick Supporting Member

Nov 18, 2002
    Seattle / Tacoma
    Yup, those are 2 big cabs.

15. jkdahlman

jkdahlman Ambitious But Rubbish

Jul 13, 2004
    Baltimore, MD
    This usually works...

16. fishtx

fishtx Supporting Member

Mar 30, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    Endorsing Artist: Genzler Amplification/Spector Basses/Mojo Hand FX
    Tick off a gui****? Ask him to play true "rhythm" guitar and stop noodling all over everything...LOL

Both guitar players I work with are in complete denial when it comes to "too much noodling" in a song...

Nice rig by the way!!

17. neuromancer

neuromancer

Apr 28, 2005
    CT, USA
    Oh, that's EASY! Any of the following will serve to tick off some of the gui****s I've worked with in the past, but if you do all of them it's just about guaranteed:

1) Show up to practice and play.
    2) Turn up loud enough so that you can actually be heard
    3) Play a tasteful bassline based on the drummer's parts.
    4) Do all you can to enhance the song.
    5) (For Hard Rock and Metal bands) Make use of a tone that actually makes the band sound heavier; make use of upper mids, overdrive/distortion, etc.
    :smug:

18. high mileage

high mileage

Apr 17, 2006
    Rockford IL
    Pre EB Stingray thru those two monsters - talk about tone! Probably scared off the neighbors, too. :D

19. rockwarnick

rockwarnick

Jul 29, 2006
    Rockville, MD
    +1. My band said that since I joined the band never sounded so filled out. They say they dont like playing without me now cause it sounds empty. And they arent they first band to give me that compliment. I feel I owe it to my Marcus Miller. (My bands old bassist had a geddy...)

20. Baird6869

Baird6869 RIP Gord Downey. A True Canadian Icon. Supporting Member

I like playing a crazy looking finger stretching chord at the end of a song (like the hair band gui****s on the covers of guitar mags in the 80s) and at the same time use right hand tapping and artificial harmonics.

That or play a few seconds of Van Halen's Eruption on bass. They really hate that. :bassist: :D