So how exactly will this work?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Badtown, Jul 19, 2001.

1. Badtown

Apr 22, 2001
    Midwest USA
    Ok, with all the money i've made from shoveling driveways this winter, mowing lawns, rogueing, and 'tasselin; i have about 2.5 grand.

And my band is getting alot of gigs now, about 1-2 gigs every week, so i thought i'd spend it on a bigger amp setup. I'm gonna go with a preamp/poweramp/cab route.

I want to spend alot of the money on good quality cabs, so I have to be stingy with the pre/poweramps. I'm thinking about just buying a new lower wattage hartke amp; maybe their 200 watt model. and using that Hartke as a pre-amp. Then I'm getting a Carvin DCM2000 poweramp and use them together. So i'll be pushing 2,000 watts.

This will work, right?

Oh yeah, cabs will be 2 Eden 4x10's and 2 EA 1x15 (or 18).
    Everyone around me is telling me to get ampeg, but I think ampeg's sound is astrocious. I'm probably alone on this one..
  2. You're not alone now, but wait until I tell Mr.Ampeg; he's 6 foot 9 and is very sensitive to criticism!

Just kidding! Seriously though, why do you want to use an integrated head as a preamp? Why not buy an actual dedicated preamp, then use the Carvin?
    I don't own a big amp, but, do you really need 2000 watts? Maybe go for lower wattage, but, get higher quality.

Food for thought.

Mike J.
  3. Badtown

Apr 22, 2001
    Midwest USA
    Well 3/4 of the gigs are outdoors and there are times where a PA isn't available. I want to have room and have peace of mind to know that I have the watts there if i need em. Also my guitarist just got a massive Marshall stack. I'm sure he's sick of hearing me say "Hey man, turn it down to 1".

Believe me, i would jump at the chance of getting a "real" preamp if i had the funds. But I'll look around town in the used market.
  4. Try the Sansamp Di stompbox. Or the rackmount. A helluva good pre for 250-300. look around. I'm sure some of the guys in this board can suggest some good DI boxes that are also pre's. Thingds like theh Yamaha NE-1 and Ravenlabs DI's come to'd aslo be set for recording.
  5. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    I wouldn't do the pre/power thing. It's just too much crap to haul around. Eden WT-800 oughtta be plenty o' power, and plenty more convenient. Also, good call on avoiding the Ampeg. They're made by Crate, you know.
  6. Luis Fabara

Luis Fabara

Aug 13, 2000
    Ecuador (South America)
    Audio Pro - Ecuador
    I really suggest you dont buy that HArtke 2000.
    I ay get the DCM1000 or DCM2000 and add a good Preamp, such as Ampeg SVP-PRO, SWR Interestellar OD, Aguilar, or something like that.

Also, you could just buy the Carvin R1000 Head wich is a great buy.
  7. Richard Lindsey

Richard Lindsey

Mar 25, 2000
    Metro NYC
    My advice echoes others here: if you're going to do the separate preamp-power amp think, it seems kinda pointless to use the Hartke as the pre. For my tastes--and I speak only for myself--the Hartke isn't the most toneful amp around to begin with, and using a big amp with it won't make it better, just louder.

It's not that the Hartke is a bad amp--it's not, it's a decent amp for a certain niche. But for not that much more money you can get a dedicated preamp--e.g., Demeter, Kern, Aguilar, Eden Navigator--that you would very likely like much better with the kind of rig you're talking about.

As Munji pointed out, that's a lot of stuff to carry around, but you're the only one who can decide whether it's worth it to you.
  8. captainpabst

Mar 18, 2001
    if you get eden 410xlt's, that'll be about 1700 bux right there. EA doesn't make 15's or 18's. i think the 410xlt's would be sufficient anyway...

i'd suggest getting a really sweet preamp like demeter or aguilar, a halfway affordable power amp like the carvin (although a crown would be nice), and 2 eden 410xlt's. all that will cost you closer to (if not over) 3k though.
  9. CrawlingEye

CrawlingEye Member

Mar 20, 2001
    Easton, Pennsylvania
    If you want a head/cab setup, I think the Raven Labs True Blue would be great for a preamp, and carvin should be sufficent for a poweramp. Although, I don't think you really need 2000 watts...

I have a 700 watt rig, which maxes out my cabs, which are a 4x10 and a 1x15.

I barely have to turn my setup past 4 while practicing.

For a show, I'd like to think that my speaker volume, and 200 watts which would put me at 2 and 1/2 on my volume bar would be good sufficent.

Really though, anything over 1000 is like an overkill.

I agree with people saying "don't take a knife to a gun fight" but that's like taking an atomic bomb to a fight involving two 12 year olds in a sand box.

by the way... I agree... Ampeg doesn't make that good of stuff for what I look for in a bass amp... It's too warm... like you can't really hear it well. (atleast the vast majority of their stuff)

edit: I perfer Peavey myself... as you can see by my rig. (view profile for that)

10. too warm? isnt that what a lot of people lust after? Warm, Fat tone? eh... to each his own... to each his own
  11. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    Actually C-Eye, Ampeg is commonly used because it throws so well. "Throw" is how far the cabinet's can project their sound clearly, basically. IE, how well people can hear it. So obviously they don't have a problem that prevents you from hearing them.

Question to poster...why do you need such a huge rig? What's the guitarists' rigs, and what's the PA generally like? Really, half of that rig should be fine just about anywhere, because of the PA.
  12. CrawlingEye

CrawlingEye Member

Mar 20, 2001
    Easton, Pennsylvania
    I was speaking of their heads, although, I'll explain this, because I've already played on all ampeg setups...

Too warm to actually be heard doesn't say anything about how well the rig can project itself.

Meaning, it can be more felt from a farther distance, rather than heard.

That's my opinion atleast.
  13. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    That's not warm, that's rumbly! Midless, maybe, too. Doesn't mean warm in the least bit. I've heard plenty of bands where the bass tone isn't warm AT ALL and yet can hardly be heard, but can be felt. If it were LOUDER, you'll hear the tone and feel it even more. It's vibration that causes it to be felt, not warmth.

On the other hand, if you cut ALL the bass, it's not likely it'll rumble much, but that's because the speaker travel will be a lot smaller.
  14. You've played ALL ampeg heads? thats a pretty bold statement. You've played an original 70's svt tube head though two 8x10's? you thought that this couldnt throw sound across a room... lol. Maybe its time you get your ears checked.
  15. CrawlingEye

CrawlingEye Member

Mar 20, 2001
    Easton, Pennsylvania
    Muttluck, let me teach you "Reading comprehension"

I said "I've played all ampeg rigs" meaning, Ampeg cabinet, and ampeg head.

That would be an "all ampeg rig", would it not?

Don't go making assumptions or twisting quotes.
    Although, I have played a considerable amount of Ampeg heads/cabs/combos
  16. Richard Lindsey

Richard Lindsey

Mar 25, 2000
    Metro NYC
    Not to bust chops, but it was a bit ambiguous as you wrote it. It's not a problem of reading comprehension but one of vague expression. Hey, I thought you meant you'd played everything Ampeg makes too. And I work with language for a living.

If you'd written "I've played *all-Ampeg* setups," there would have been no room for mistake. Just a little hyphen, but what a difference it makes.

BTW, I'm not writing this just to jump on your spelling or punctuation. Generally, although I edit for a living, I don't say anything about stuff like this in message board posts *except* when it leads to misunderstandings--as here.
  17. EString

Nov 20, 2000
    Los Altos, CA
    A better statement for announcing that one has played all of the Ampeg amplifier setups ever made would be "I have played every Ampeg rig."

For proclaiming one having played an amplifier setup that consisted solely of Ampeg components would have been, "I have played Ampeg-only rigs."
  18. the basic purpose of my post was to question if you thought that an original Svt head (from the 70's) and connected with two 8x10 cabs, was unaudable in a band situation.

I question this, because in my experiance, I've played one many times, with a dummer, and with up to 3-4 guitar players, and i was only using a 4x10. I never had to turn the volume (gain, there actuly isnt a volume on the thing), past 11 oclock, and that was going aganst vintage fender twin's. I had no problem hearing myself, or cutting though the mix.

Recording artist that i've seen using all ampeg rigs, (vintage or modern) have had no problem cutting htough the mix. now i understand that is different because of pa's and sound guys, and the possiblity of a DI and what not.
  19. WHAT????????!! NO NO NO!!

Ampeg is NOT made by Crate and neither vice versa. Ampeg is made by Ampeg and Crate is made by Crate. Both companies are owned by SLM (St. Louis Music) Electronics. There is nothing Crate about Ampeg. Very different. Don't make uninformed assumptions that could sway another's oppinion.
  20. CrawlingEye

CrawlingEye Member

Mar 20, 2001
    Easton, Pennsylvania
    Actually, a hyphen would be uncalled for...
    In stating "I've played all ampeg rigs" it should be clear that I've played rigs that consist of all ampeg components. Not that I've played every ampeg rig. The wording made it obvious, perhaps you should brush up on your english and grammar a little more, eh?

Vague expression never entered the game. I said what I meant quite well, it was a matter of someone not reading it properly.
    I didn't see duplicty entering it, 'til someone responded in saying something totally not even remotely like what I said, even misquotting me at that. I don't see why this is getting turned into an exegesis. It's not very hard to pick up on what was actually meant by it.