So how is the Stingray I?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Infernal Affair, Apr 6, 2003.

1. Doing a search for this proved impossible, so I'm starting a new thread.

Does anyone own a Stingray I? There's one on sale on ebay and I was interested in how it compared to a typical Stingray/Sterling. I'm mostly interested in the sound as those two large humbuckers seem interesting. Reminds me of the G&L L-2000.
  2. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Dude, it's a guitar, not a bass.
    So, it doesn't compare to a StingRay / Sterling.
    The bass equivalent of the StingRay 1 guitar is the Sabre, basically a StingRay bass with 2 humbuckers.
  3. dave_clark69

dave_clark69 Guest

Jan 17, 2003
    well my legendary bass teacher had a sting ray, but he sold it because of its weight. tHEY ARE HEAVY but if weight aint a problem go for it.

If i am right, i think that flea has a stingray...
  4. dhuffguitars

dhuffguitars Luthier/Bass Wanker depending on your opinion

Sep 18, 2001
    yup she is a guitar!!
    I like their guitars, but it will not sound anything like an L-2000:D
  5. Killdar

Dec 16, 2002
    Portland Maine
    ahhh! blasphemy!
  6. Oh. I didn't notice that it was a guitar. Sorry for the mixup. I just saw the two humbuckers and automatically had allusions to the L-2000. When I think of Stingray I automatically think bass, so I guess the programming in my brain failed to recognize that there's six strings on that thing (that look nothing like bass strings).

Thanks for noting the Sabre though. I'll do a search on it right now. If any mods are reading this, you can delete it if you wish since it's irrelevant to the TB board.