so how long for these chromes to mellow out?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by chief ten beers, Mar 15, 2005.

1. chief ten beers

chief ten beers

Jan 4, 2005
    I picked up some d'addario chrome flats and they are kinda pretty bright and metallic sounding.they almost have a growl to them,are they going to stay more or less this way or will they mellow nicely with age?Right now i'm not really liking them.I want a mellow old school sound,will i eventually get it from these?
  2. Mudfuzz

Apr 3, 2004
    Yes they will mellow out, it takes me around a week or two. If you want to hear what they sound like after a few years :p just click on the link in my sig :)
  3. Flatwound

Flatwound Supporting Member

Sep 9, 2000
    San Diego
    I actually like the brightness of them. Mine are about six weeks old and beginning to mellow. At first, you just have to turn your tone control down some.
  4. 59jazz

59jazz Infinite Rider on the Big Dogma Supporting Member

I agree with Flatwound, I really dig the briteness of the Chromes, but after 6 days the "zing" is starting to roll off. I was told by a giging bassist, that the Chromes last him about 8 months.

5. In about month I had a good flatwound tone. Right now they're on my fretless, and they're very thumpy with some fair midrange.
  6. Beefbass

Beefbass Guest

Feb 4, 2001

I put them on my fretless too. They work very well with this. It's been a few weeks now, and they are breaking in nicely :hyper: