Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

So how many here own and use the George Foreman grill?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Blackbird, Jun 24, 2004.

1. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    There seem to be plenty of food aficionados here to warrant a thread about this.

I'm looking at the basic model and it's about 15 bucks on Amazon.com. A lot of people seem to like it a lot, but I thought I'd ask a more discriminating audience.

Any experiences or opinions would be appreciated. Thanks.

2. BustinJustin

BustinJustin banned

Sep 12, 2003
    NYC, LI too
    I love mine!
    Cat Fish
    Steak
    Grilled Cheese
    Tuna Steak
    Portabella Shrooms
    Shrimp
    Peppers
    so many things!!!!!!!!

great for apt dwellers who like to grill.

although I want a bigger one....... go bigger Blackbrid!

3. hippiesandwich

hippiesandwich

Aug 29, 2003
    San Jose
    Affiliated with Looperlative Audio Products
    I use mine all the time as well - kinda like a waffle iron for meat!

Really good for boneless pieces of chicken too.

4. i like it. don't let it sit after you use it. clean it before you eat.

5. BustinJustin

BustinJustin banned

Sep 12, 2003
    NYC, LI too

do you grill phish :D ?

yes clean it every time

6. yeah gotta clean the sucker.. but it works really well.. i have that little basic model too, and it works fine for 1 person.. get it...

7. stuffing hippies into your grill is generally a bad idea. stinks up your kitchen.

8. nope i grill "the dead" ..... meat that is... :D

9. fatbassjazzer

fatbassjazzer

Feb 27, 2004
    ATL
    You should get it. I grill on mine all the time if its rainy or something. You can make a pretty mean burger on it. Cleaning it really isn't all that bad though. mmmmm phish

10. It helps if you take the graphite neck out of MG's hand first...

Seriously though, the grill works well and very quickly. My wife has been using one for a few months now and is getting quite good with it (it does take a bit of practice to get things just right...). The cleanup part is needed with any cooking device, but is very easy with the Foreman grill.

11. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    I have one. I've never used it though. Well, by "have" I mean my old roomate left it here and I've not gone out of my way to tell him he left it here.

I'ma use it to make cheeseburgers later tonight. Stay tuned, Talkbass.

12. Have one, use it, love it. Tasty stuff. :bassist:

13. vbass

vbass

May 7, 2004
    Bay Area, CA
    Brendan, the suspense is killing me already....

15 bux, how can you go wrong? Order that shiznit!

14. thrash_jazz

thrash_jazz

Jan 11, 2002
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
    Artist: JAF Basses, Circle K Strings
    I'm hardly a food aficionado... in fact I suck at cooking, which is why I have one. :D

I got it after my T-Fal skillet pretty much blew up. Got the Foreman, and it's way easier to use and clean, and everything tastes better.

Definitely a good purchase.

15. TxBass

TxBass

Jul 3, 2002
    Frisco, Texas
    we have the little cheapo one...and it works just fine. I only use it when it's raining and I can't get the gas grill going though. but worth the investment.

16. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    Ok, once again I'll be the party-pooper. My wife brought one in when we got married and I think it stinks. The worst is burgers...it sucks the flavor right out of hamburger patties and leaves them dry and tasteless. It's ok for chicken breasts but then again it tends to leave them dry. I cook all the time and I refuse to use that. I normally cook fish on a broiler tray or pan-frying, burgers I pan fry and chicken breasts I usually bake or pan fry. A lot of these things I'll cook on the grill once we get one...now that we live in a house. All of those methods, while not quite as easy as the Foreman Grill, will leave your food tastier and juicier.

brad cook

17. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    I use one. Its not the smallest one, its the 'family size' i think. I love it for sandwhiches. Any sandwhich tastes better on this thing. It kicks ass for grilled cheese, or grilled ham n cheese. I dont use it for burgers unless its the last resort. Its good for hot dogs and sausages though.

18. jucas

jucas

Dec 14, 2003
    Alberta
    If you get one, get one of the ones with a temperature control. I like mine, and its worth using, but only one setting is kind of limiting. You can't do as much with it as you could on a stove, but its convenient for most things.

Great for perogies too by the way.

19. BustinJustin

BustinJustin banned

Sep 12, 2003
    NYC, LI too

Ok I agree to an extent, but that's it's purpose, it drains fat. If your food seems dry brush some Olive Oil (flavored if ya can) on it while cooking.
    For you extra fat kinda peeps, like me, you can pour the "juice" (fat) on the meat while or after cooking. I do this with steaks. In fact I'll even use it for the onions I cook on the side. NOT HEALTHY KIDS!!!! But mmmmmmmmmgooooooooood

20. Toasted

Toasted

May 26, 2003
    Leeds, UK
    I like it, its goooood - it makes steak taste gooooood.

But im english, so what i think tastes good, you probably think tastes like crap.