Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

So I am about to get my first upright..

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by FloggingMurphy, Feb 27, 2006.

1. FloggingMurphy

FloggingMurphy

Feb 27, 2006
    OK, so I have been thinking about this for a while and I think I have decided that I am going to get an upright bass. I have always loved the sound and the type of playing. So I have a few questions about what I would need. First off, what size and type of bass would I need to play Psychobilly, rockabilly and punk? Any certain brands good for these types of music? I've seen sizes 3/4, 4/4 and 1/2. I am asuming to get either a 3/4 or 4/4, but im not sure. I want a full bodied upright, not one of those skinny electric ones. OK, next thing is, to amplify it through an amp or speaker, what exactly do I need? Would I just need something like this: http://www.music123.com/Fishman-Full-Circle-Upright-Bass-Pickup-i100973.music or would I have to get something like this: http://www.music123.com/AMT-S25B-Bass-Microphone-and-Preamp-i46827.music. This is basiclly all I need to know. I have read up on it and I just want other peoples opinions. Thx in advance.

2. Uncletoad

Uncletoad

May 6, 2003
    Columbus Ohio
    Proprietor Fifth Avenue Fret Shop. Technical Editor Bass Gear Magazine
    Well congrats first of all. Welcome to the Dark Side.

While you're surfing also check out http://www.rockabillybass.com/ . They know a ton about what you are trying to do.

As far as what instrument to get there are lots of posts on that kind of thing on this site. Look under basses section you've posted this in. Do some searching with the search engine. You want a 3/4 bass. Probably plywood rather than carved. Stay away from the cheap stuff, it sucks. Read the posts about the craptastic Chinese junk basses and then avoid them. Figure out your budget and we can help you better.

Don't bother with the mic you'll be playing to loud to use it. Full circle is great. Bass max is great. The Rockabilly K&K system is great. There is a bunch of stuff on pickups in the pickup section.

Lots of different amps you can use. Mostly it depends on your budget. That can help us narrow it down for you.

It's best for you to do some reading through what's already been written on this site and then ask some more specific questions when things are unclear.

3. Brent Norton

Brent Norton

Sep 26, 2003
    Detroit, MI
    Nice post, Uncletoad... To try and simplify even further, here's a quick & dirty laundry list:

- 3/4 size
    - Laminated (plywood) bass priced starting between $1000 - 2000. Anything less is generally asking for trouble.
    - A GOOD setup, preferably tailored toward slap
    - Strings appropriate for slap - gut, synthetic, or a combo of the two - looking for low tension with tone that will suit your tastes
    - Indeed, forget the mic. At high volumes, it'll be useless. Any simple, bridge wing mounted pickup should do, and these tend to also be the most affordable options. Try to make simplicity a priority here - you'll thank yourself in the long run.

Good luck -

4. Marcus Johnson

Marcus Johnson

Nov 28, 2001
    Maui
    Actually, Flogging:meh: ....you might want to have a look at Brent's website while you're musing on instruments. He has things there that might be right up your alley.

5. FloggingMurphy

FloggingMurphy

Feb 27, 2006
    Thx a lot for the help so far and if anyone else has anything to add that would be great. Ima definently check out the site and see what would be good for me. I wasn't planning on spending more than $1600 total, but a little more wouldn't kill me I guess.

6. Uncletoad

Uncletoad

May 6, 2003
    Columbus Ohio
    Proprietor Fifth Avenue Fret Shop. Technical Editor Bass Gear Magazine
    That would get you a decent bass. The amp and all the trimmings would be extra. Any less and you'll not be a happy camper. You can make do with lots of different stuff ampwise until you put together the bread for the good stuff. Spend all you can on your bass first and you'll be a happier player. Cheap basses are a drag and will be discouraging at least and harmfull to your body at worst.

7. hdiddy

hdiddy Official Forum Flunkee Supporting Member

Mar 16, 2004
    San Francisco, CA
    There's lots of Shen users on this forum and they're all very happy with their purchases. Seems like Strunal is OK too.

But why buy from a online seller when you can buy from someone reputable and you'll get so much more tho? I'm not a shill by any means for Brent but looking at his deal for an SB80 for $1390 - it's a pretty sweet package. He's not allowed to push his own products but I've got no such restrictions (at least I hope I don't).

And you'll get it set up with strings and a luthier setup that'll be exactly what you want. Sure it's a little more and you still have to pay shipping, but it's always good to get things right the first time and not have to mess with it. Strings, bow, MPM adjusters, setup, tailgut replacement - looks like all the bases (pun not intended) are covered in that price. Very nice Brent, very nice! :)

http://www.nortoncustoms.com/mini_product_pages/Shen-SB80-Upright-Bass.htm

Even tho Music123 sells it cheaper, IMO, this a better deal and will save you more money and less headache in the long run.

8. Marcus Johnson

Marcus Johnson

Nov 28, 2001
    Maui
    PLUS, Brent knows about all that slappin' and stuff, so he sort of speaks the language and can set you up with something that will suit your purposes. If I were heading down the road towards any-kinda-billy, I'd be shopping there.

Are we spammin' yet?....:bag:

9. ToR-Tu-Ra

ToR-Tu-Ra

Oct 15, 2005
    Mexico City

Naaaaah!!!

You didn't mention about those sweet custom finish jobs he does. I think that would be closer to spammin' :D

10. FloggingMurphy

FloggingMurphy

Feb 27, 2006
    I was actually looking at his site, and that bass. It is something I will definently keep in mind.

11. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    Plus, he's a silly bastid. Does that count for spam?

12. Marcus Johnson

Marcus Johnson

Nov 28, 2001
    Maui
    Absolutely that counts!

Let me say this, however....I found two really nice plywoods here on this little rock out in the middle of the ocean. One, I got for six bills (Epiphone, in very nice shape), and the other I got for two (blonde Engelhardt, near cherry). Garage sales can be your friend.

13. 5stringDNA

5stringDNA

Oct 10, 2002
    Englewood, CO
    Brent is a nice helpful guy too that has 3 wicked customs for sale for about $3g's now as well.. haha! plug plug plug. I really would love that rooster ply ot the Norifumi.. mmm if only I wasn't saving for a decent car.

All good advice up to this point. three cheers! Never forget though: play every bass you can, period. The more basses you play, the easier and more satisfying your selection process will become!