So I am starting to think I like flats more than rounds...

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by citizenchris099, Aug 17, 2018.

1. for me they are more comfortable, I enjoy the sound and overall they just feel better to me. Thats all.

2. Axstar

Axstar Inactive

Jul 8, 2016
    Scotland.
    Welcome home. Your mission is complete.

dagrev, ColdEye, Fluid Power and 26 others like this.
  3. I really try to. I have a p bass with just flats that sounds pretty good, but just one-dimensional to me. I grew up with rounds so I guess that is the sound I always look for.

I do like the feel of flats, and like the idea of not having to change them all the time. I like them on my practice amp, but they just don’t sound right through my big amp. I’m gunna try them again this weekend, maybe get a better amp sound with them.

4. theduke1

theduke1 Supporting Member

Dec 22, 2010
    Sussex WI
    I found the LaBella Black Nylon tape wounds are a little brighter then Steel flats but not as bright as round wounds.
    That is all I play on both of my G&Ls one of which is fretless
    Duke

5. Just starting to think? Where have you been? ;):D

6. Agreed.

This is why I own three basses - P with flats, J with semi-flats and an active 5-string with semi-rounds.

7. RichardW

RichardW

Feb 25, 2016
    near Philly
    Love flats, and have them on all my basses. I put a set of tape wounds on my Jazz and it is amazingly comfortable to play.

8. Wesley R

Wesley R Gold Supporting Member

Tapes, gotta love em.

9. I hear you, I have way too many basses, but they all have their purpose. I work with multiple bands and in multiple tunings, to I try to tailor basses to the band/show I'm working. One band I do sub work with plays 50's-70's hit, covering everything from Elvis and Tom Jones to The Jackson Five and Sly and the family Stone. I have a dedicated '55 P bass I do the older stuff with, then change to a 60's Jazz for the later disco and funk.

Another group is country, so my Five string basses or Active five strings get used with that.

Another group is 80s-90s hair metal in alternate tunings, so the precisions and pointy guitars get used for that band.

Lastly, I have a Tribute band in the works, so I will be playing a specific P bass for that project.

Ugh, as you can see, I have many irons in the fire, but only the '55 p has flat wounds on it. I have very specific uses for various basses. (Oops, forgot my Jaco Sig Fender jazz has flats too)

I might try some on a 80's model p bass, or a jazz (I love JPJ's tone on a lot of older Zepplin stuff) and really try to use flats more in some of the other projects. I keep getting close to trying TI flats, maybe I'll pull the trigger one of these days.

I really love the sound of flats in certain recordings, I guess I just need to work with them more in live band settings to get a better feel for them.

10. MotorCityMinion

MotorCityMinion

Jun 15, 2017
    Question for guys with flats and rounds. (Ya, there kind of open ended.)

Do you drop down in string gage for the flats?

If so, do you recommend re cutting a new nut for the flats?

Do you prefer active or passive with flats?

11. SteveBassJr

SteveBassJr It all sounds the same, It's all one song!

Aug 11, 2009
    Massachusetts
    You will, intill you play a song live and they just don't have that bite you need to cut through. Unless you use a pick
    I love my flats. They live on my Pbass.
    I use them for certain songs where they just sit well in the mix.

12. As a general rule, yes, although there are other factors involved in selecting the gauges for rounds and flats.

For someone who normally plays rounds in 45-105, I would suggest something like 40-100 for flats as a starting point.

No, that wouldn't be necessary. If the nut is cut for 45-105, it should be able to take 40-100 with no issues.

I personally prefer flats on a passive 4-string - P or J. I specify 4-string because it's very tricky to find a good flatwound low B.

dralionux and theduke1 like this.
  13. Wfrance3

Wfrance3 Supporting Member

May 29, 2014
    Tulsa, OK
    Congratulations, you have just taken your first step, into a larger world....

dagrev, Tony In Philly and jmon like this.
  14. interp

interp

Apr 14, 2005
    Garmisch, Germany
    I own only two basses—a Marleaux five string Contra with round wounds and a Road Worn Precision with TI flats.. The Precision basically does only one thing, but boy does it do that one thing well! The Contra does everything else.

Joedog likes this.
  15. theduke1

theduke1 Supporting Member

Dec 22, 2010
    Sussex WI

16. Thibby

Thibby Supporting Member

May 2, 2015
    New Orleans
    Welcome to the flat side! I only have one bass in service right now - my SX P which is strung with GHS flats. My other two will be strung with flats as well when I get them back in service

17. Magthegrate

Magthegrate Way less skilled than my gear suggests.

Sep 18, 2017
    Austin, TX
    Every time I get a new bass (I have 6), I swear that I'm going to keep the rounds on them for a while to try and get used to them and "play it the way the manufacturer intended".

It never lasts. Flats are always on their way to my mailbox within a week.

mikewalker, Booty Shaman and fermata like this.
  18. mrjim123

mrjim123 Supporting Member

May 17, 2008
    Indy
    The Gene Deer Band
    It's an acquired taste, one that comes with age and maturity. And with flats on you'll probably (hopefully) never be tempted to abuse your bass by playing slap style. :smug:

starKee, dagrev, retslock and 4 others like this.
  19. shoulderpet

shoulderpet

Sep 24, 2015
    I liked them for practising at home but when I did a gig with them I got completely buried in the mix, couldn't hear a single note clearly, they came off the very next day

patrickj likes this.
  20. I've got flats on my Alembic. That bass was designed around flats, and they really fit into a mix cleanly.

john

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 25, 2021