Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

So I blew the crap out of my Big Ben today

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by fr0me0, Jan 24, 2006.

1. fr0me0

fr0me0

Dec 7, 2004
    Winnipeg Canada
    Took the woofer out and its ripped really bad where it meets the basket. It happened so fast I was standing at the other side of the room and it made a bad noise and boom it went all quiet and distorted

I'm a little perplexed. I was using an SWR workingman 300. That should only put out 180 watts at 8ohms and the big ben should be able to handle 400. So how did it blow? can you blow a woofer by underpowering it?

I had plans, was going to get another 8ohm cab and run them together but this kinda throws a wrench in it if the whole under powering thing is true.

So I need a new woofer and looks like its going to be an eminence. What one do you recomend I replace it with? I was really gonna go over kill and get a good one so this doesn't happen again but if the whole under powering thing is true well then that makes no sense.

Should I get an 8ohm one and eventually get another cab? or should I just get a 4 ohm one and be done with it? I'm really confused and need any advice you can give me, thank.

2. Crockettnj

Crockettnj

Sep 2, 2005
    North NJ
    you cant break anything by underpowering it per se.

you can try to turn upan amp further than you should in an attempt to get more voume. If the amp is outa gas, it'll send a clipped signal, which can be harmful to a cab.

it's not really underpowering. it's using a smaller amp beyond its limitations.

thats my take on your questiosn at least.

3. MODNY

MODNY Guest

Nov 9, 2004
    that only way i can think of fixing this problem is buying my accugroove gordo~! :D:D:D:D

4. Crockettnj

Crockettnj

Sep 2, 2005
    North NJ
    Actually there is some really good stuff in the for sale section.

It must be Post NAMM post Christmas pre spring cleaning.

5. fr0me0

fr0me0

Dec 7, 2004
    Winnipeg Canada
    well the kicker is I bought it a week ago used and only used it 3 times. So even if I can find a ligher better sounding amp for half the price of a new driver I think it would still give me more piece of mind just to buy a new driver cause then I wouldn't have wasted 375 bones on a cab I used 3 times.

If I do buy a new 400 watt driver and eventually get an extra cab, will that put more strain on the head having an extra cab? or less? what exactly makes it clip? will it be easier to get more more sound out of 2 cabs wthout it clipping? or will it cause it to clip faster?

6. FireBug

FireBug

Sep 18, 2005
    Houston
    Man, I would get rid of that 18. They can be tricky and deceitful.

7. fr0me0

fr0me0

Dec 7, 2004
    Winnipeg Canada
    I'm a student though 375 bucks is a really really really really really big pill to swallow

maybe i can just get it reconed.

8. brothernewt

brothernewt Some people call me the stormtrooper of love...

Apr 13, 2004
    Happyrock, OR
    your thread title sounds dirty... maybe I'm just sleepy and having a Beavis and Butthead moment, but read it aloud... really!:help:

9. Dudaronamous

Dudaronamous Supporting Member Supporting Member

Oct 16, 2005
    Bothell, WA
    I'd check into reconing before dropping big bucks on a new driver. Could save you lots of dough.

10. hmmm. if you get a new driver, get an 8 ohm one, that way you can still add another 8 ohm cab after which will definitely give you more volume and will get your amp running at it's full 300 watts.

Remember: more speakers = more volume better than more power = more volume, so rather than trying to get more volume by getting a 4 ohm replacement speaker, get another cab.

IMO don't bother reconing - it never sounds the way it did, and probably won't last if you are pushing the speaker hard...

I am really surprised that you managed to damage the speaker the way you did? I wouldn't have thought you'd be able to rip it like that from underpowering!? maybe it was a faulty speaker?

11. D.A.R.K.

D.A.R.K. Supporting Member

Aug 20, 2003
    Virginia
    could you elaborate??
    i can't make any sense of that comment.

12. Two Drivers will always present more of a load on the head. Having said this, if each one is 8 ohms and your cab is designed to operate on 4 or 8 ohms there is absolutely no problem in doing this.
    Driving the amp at high gain can cause saturation of the transistors or tubes. This clips the tops off the signals making them more like a squarewave. This is what clipping is referred to and is very hard on a speaker especially if it is a transistor that is used. Transistors turn on hard and fast. Speakers cannot handle D/C currents. When an amp clips your are making D/C Pulses. So my advice to you is, if you are having to run your amp at at or near max it is better to get a more powerful amp so you do not have to run it into clipping to be heard.

13. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

There's only one Big Ben and it's in here :

[​IMG]

:spit: