1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

So I bought a Bassman 410 today....

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Hemispheres85, Aug 29, 2007.

1. Hemispheres85

Hemispheres85

Jun 15, 2006
    Edit: I am also wondering if there are any other Bassman 410 owners in TB that would care to share their experiences.

I worked as an intern of sorts for store credit at my local music store this summer and decided after months of looking for a new amp to take the first step and buy the Bassman 410 they had there.

Luckily, I got it $130 off the retail price of $430, as it was a discontinued model. I realized at 71 lbs, it wasn't extremely heavy for a 4x10. I tried it with a tube preamp and a peavey guitar combo as a power amp (effects send & speaker output) and I found it had a bright clear tone, and in the store it handled a low B quite well.

I know I could have bought an avatar 210 or something for the same price, but I had money in the store account and it was a steal.

What do you guys think? Good cab in your thoughts?

2. Hemispheres85

Hemispheres85

Jun 15, 2006
    I find it weird that the only other thread dedicated to this cab had no replies as well. I've found only a few reviews on this cab as well.

It seems it's an unwritten rule not to say anything about this cab I guess!

3. bassbrock

bassbrock

Feb 20, 2007
    Callahan, FL
    Yeah, is it the one with "Eminence Inside" ?

4. quail

quail

Aug 4, 2007
    if thats it thats a pretty hot looking cab imo

5. Hemispheres85

Hemispheres85

Jun 15, 2006
    That's the one.
    I don't think I'll be adding a 15 anywhere in the foreseeable future, with 350watts RMS I'll be set for a long time, as I'm the kind of person that asks everyone else to turn down before turning myself up. I have an old peavey PA head that peaks at 400w @ 4ohms, and with the 8 ohm 410, I turned it up to 10 and can hardly see how I could ever WANT or NEED more than the approx. 250w peaking @ 8 ohms.

6. Hemispheres85

Hemispheres85

Jun 15, 2006
    Update- So I've been playing around with the new setup and I recently turned the head up to 10 with the gain at 5, and all I heard was muddy and extremely loud sound.

When I play soft it doesn't distort half as much, and the speakers aren't working very hard. Is it the amp or the speakers that are the cause of distortion?

Surely if the fender's rated at 350w RMS, it will stay clean sounding at that power, right? I don't see myself getting that loud, but when do speakers usually start to distort?

7. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    You're using a PA head for your bass amp? If so, that's the problem.

8. Hemispheres85

Hemispheres85

Jun 15, 2006
    How so? It's basically a mixer amp with 4 channels, how would the fact that it's a PA head cause it to distort?

9. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    Well, the PA is not voiced specifically for bass, but it's probably got better range than a guitar amp. I suppose if you used a bass preamp in front of it, you could probably get the volume you want without distortion. The bassman 4x10 is a nice cab, it just seems a bit of a mismatch with a PA head as it's only source of amplification. I could be wrong, I usually am, but, I think the reason they make amps especially for bass is all about frequency response. Plus, unless you've got blown out speakers, it's not the new cab that's giving you unwanted distortion.

10. Standalone

Standalone

Jan 17, 2005
    New Haven
    +1