So, I bought a cab...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Thunderscreech, Dec 6, 2015.

1. It's an Ampeg Model VST with 8 10 inch speakers. It's at my friend's house, so I haven't tested it yet.
    My biggest beef so far is that, as far as speaker connection goes, it has a cable hanging out of the back. I have no idea of the age of this cab, but I would like to make it so I'm not limited to the length of the cable. Can this be done? Is there like an extension cable I could buy that's TR female on one end and TR male on the other? Or do I cut a hole and put a plate with jacks, either Speakon or 1/4 inch in the back?

I'll post pictures when I can take some, probably in a couple of days. It's about 4 foot tall, smaller than the other 8x10s that I have seen, but there's 8 speakers in there. I have no idea how old it is.

tl;dr how hard is it to put a jack, either 1/4 inch or speakon, onto a cab that just has a cable sticking out of it as the input?

2. Bassmec

Bassmec

May 9, 2008
    Ipswich UK
    Proprietor Springvale Studios
    image.jpeg Normally SVT rigs 8X10 cabs have a socket in a panel that can look like this.:)

3. David Henry

David Henry

Mar 24, 2000
    Salem, Oregon
    SVT?

4. basscooker

basscooker Commercial User

Apr 11, 2010
    cincy ky
    Owner, ChopShopAmps
    Did they make a 8x8 ever? OP says it's short, just curious. Probably like stated above SVT not VST.

OP, is the back flat or angled with a towel bar? Does the top have indents for feet or no? Is there a connector plate at all?

5. SVT, my bad. My brain is in Software synth mode.
    Top has feet indents. Otherwise, no towel bar, and for all I know it could be an 8x8, but it has a backplate that says "Ampeg Model SVT" and no connector plate, just a cord coming out of the back. Allegedly it is very old.

6. ngh

ngh

Feb 6, 2013
    brooklyn, ny
    I would not hesitate to rip out that cable and install a 1/4 inch jack. Any old 1/4 inch female jack will do as long as it is sturdy. Just open up the cab drill out the hole to fit the jack, solder the speaker leads to the jack and tighten it on there.

7. basscooker

basscooker Commercial User

Apr 11, 2010
    cincy ky
    Owner, ChopShopAmps
    I'd run a good series of pics up the flagpole first.....just in case. Heck, if it is all pro work/originally made like this, it may be worth more than the average fridge. We already know it's a flat-back.

OP, get up some nice big, clear pics; maybe once you do that @JimmyM or one of the other resident Ampeg fans that are familiar with the vintage stuff could give you a better informed idea of whether or not to mess with it. Even if the tolex and/or grillcloth is a bit messed up, it may be a real find. It's just going to sit for a bit while you source the stuff you need to do the project anyway, right?

8. ngh

ngh

Feb 6, 2013
    brooklyn, ny
    This is a good point. Probably worth looking into whether it is worth some dough as a collectors peice. before going at it with a power drill.

9. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Retired Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Why not install a Speakon jack if he's going to rip things out?

eukatheude and GreaserMatt like this.
  10. I will be at my friend's house tomorrow and I will snap some then. I have a low res photo but it could be anything at that quality.

11. B-string

B-string Supporting Member

Older instrument speaker cabs would just have a two piece cup to mount a 1/4" jack. The jack's nut would tighten two cup halves to the back panel like a sandwich. Install a plate with a speakon would be "best".

Hoochie Coochie Man likes this.
  12. GreaserMatt

GreaserMatt

Sep 4, 2004
    Seattle, WA
    You can get an original style cable for those things at fliptops.com

13. GreaserMatt

GreaserMatt

Sep 4, 2004
    Seattle, WA
    Those older svt cabs are some of the best cabs ever made, btw...

14. lfmn16

lfmn16

Sep 21, 2011
    charles town, wv
    As I recall, the older SVT cabs used a special cable. Someone probably forgot it and jury rigged this setup.

Rebop likes this.
  15. Bill Staudt

Bill Staudt Guest

Jun 18, 2002
    ^^This^^

Sounds like a flatback cab that someone ripped out the 4-pin connector, and hardwired a cable in.

Rebop, atlbassist1987 and haystack55 like this.
  16. Yes, they did make an 8x8 back in the day. I had one in the late 90's. It was about48-50" tall, with a towel bar, and heavy, maybe 140 to 150 pounds or so. It had a backplate though, not just a cable hanging out.

17. Cable hanging out is THE new "cool". Sorta like having a Chihuahua in yr handbag

staurosjohn likes this.
  18. kesslari

kesslari Groovin' with the Fusion Cats Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2007
    Santa Cruz Mtns, California
    Lark in the Morning Instructional Videos; Audix Microphones
    Looking forward to seeing pics and having the Ampegsperts figure this out.

staurosjohn and mbelue like this.
  19. rufus.K

rufus.K

Oct 18, 2015
    SoCal
    pix pix ...

20. image.jpeg
    This is pretty unhelpful, and the back picture didn't come out very well,but I will take more pictures next time I'm at my friend's house or when I get my car back, whichever comes first.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Sep 25, 2021