So, I bought a cab...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Thunderscreech, Dec 6, 2015.

1. rufus.K

rufus.K

Oct 18, 2015
    SoCal
    Looks like more than one speaker has been replaced. Resistance as measured is not correct for a 4ohm impedance cab.

2. B-string

B-string Supporting Member

I don't know, 7 are matching even though the top right looks like it has a damaged cone. I don't remember EV ever using a half-roll suspension on the EVM line.

3. It does. That's odd. The story I was told was one speaker went bad at some point. This bears further investigation, i.e., me opening the thing up and checking the wires out. But I'll do that tomorrow. I think I have a mulitbit driver with clutch heads somewhere, and if not, my dad might.

Any words of caution/advice on how to proceed?

4. Oooh. Didn't see the damage there.

I'm starting to feel like this might not have been the best deal. It was only 200 bucks, but still.

5. Yeah, I had some questions about that too. 5.7 seems to high.

6. B-string

Finding a matching EVM 8" could be tough, the damaged cone can be reconed. Well worth the efforts and price paid (IMO).
    I would guess the speakers (8 ohm EV) are wired in series pairs and the 4 pairs in parallel as they probably didn't order a huge special order run of EV's wound at 32 ohms.

I don't know if @Jerrold Tiers still comes around anymore or if this was during the SLM days of Ampeg, but he might be able to shed some light on the subject.

Last edited: Dec 18, 2015
  7. Bill Staudt

Bill Staudt Guest

Jun 18, 2002
    You have an early 70’s Ampeg 810 SVT “flatback” cab with seven original CTS drivers. The telltale sign that these are the CTS drivers is the two prong input leads into the cone. As noted, the bottom left driver has been replaced. It is probably a random 8 ohm driver that is throwing the impedance off. My honest recommendation would be to sell the cab for $500 to someone that would appreciate what that cab is, and that could lift it off your porch. Use the money to buy something better suited to your needs.

Here’s a photo reference of my old ’73 flatback. The lower right driver on mine was re-coned.

Attached Files:

eukatheude likes this.
  8. The last time I moved one of those was the eighties and it tried to kill me......never again.

Thunderscreech likes this.
  9. HaphAsSard

HaphAsSard

Dec 1, 2013
    Italia
    Better whip out a ruler and establish they're 8" or 10" if you haven't already.

Thunderscreech and rufus.K like this.
  10. I like this idea a lot.
    I'll try to see what I can get fixed now so that way more people would be interested.

11. I should. They may very well be 10s.

12. B-string

Measure across the speaker basket (frame). Speaker sizes are the frame diameter, not the actual "cone" size.

Thunderscreech likes this.
  13. Just measured. 10 inches confirmed.

So this is an Ampeg SVT Cabinate, of unknown vintage, with 8 10 inch speakers in it. One has been replaced and may be throwing off the impedance rating, so I don't know if it is 4 Ohms or supposed to be 8 ( my meter wont give me a hard number, once it was 3.2, once it was 5.2)

I can fix the input jack (which is inexplicably placed inside the cab by whoever was there before me, hence the cable out of the back of it, which I can confirm is speaker wire) and might be able to balance the loads, but what do I do with this thing?

14. rufus.K

rufus.K

Oct 18, 2015
    SoCal
    Light it ablaze

webmonster and Thunderscreech like this.
  15. Figuratively or literally?

Because literally would involve a very unamused fire department and my parents not amused at the blackened spot in the front lawn.

16. B-string

Find out what the other 7 speakers are. If standard CTS 10" it will be "easy" to find one correct replacement. Straight back SVT 810's even in rough shape command around $500 so well worth a little work. I never saw one with EV 10's so that sticker may not actually belong to the cab. If there are EV speakers loaded that would be a rare duck. What to do with it is fix it up a little and rock the heck out of it.

agedhorse and HaphAsSard like this.
  17. kesslari

kesslari Groovin' with the Fusion Cats Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2007
    Santa Cruz Mtns, California
    Lark in the Morning Instructional Videos; Audix Microphones
    Score!
    Easy fix there.
    Either fix it and sell it, and buy something that works better for you (moveable, etc)
    or just fix it, deal with the size, and rock it.

mbelue likes this.
  18. rufus.K

rufus.K

Oct 18, 2015
    SoCal
    The sticker maybe came with the replacement driver?

19. Turns out that I am not the first in that cab, because someone removed the clutch screws and replaced them with phillips head screws.

There is an input jack inside which makes no sense, thats where the cable is connected. It's on the ring and everything. Looks like someone did some work when they replaced the speaker.

The speaker I pulled out said 32 ohms, didn't check for a name.

It looks like a newer sticker.

20. mbelue

mbelue Supporting Member

Dec 11, 2010
    Time to trace all the wires. Figure out what's going on.
    What's connected to what. Take pictures. Write everything down.
    Come back tell us all about it.

You did pull the one different looking speaker right?

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 26, 2021