So, I bought a cab...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Thunderscreech, Dec 6, 2015.

1. B-string

B-string Supporting Member

Standard 810 speakers are 32 ohm (all in parallel for 4 ohm total load.

Thunderscreech and mbelue like this.
  2. anderbass

anderbass

Dec 20, 2005
    Phoenix. Az.
    This thread rocks, it's got more twists and turns than pikes peak!

Thunderscreech and mbelue like this.
  3. Not yet. I'm also sick, so this has made eveything 80% more difficult. I will pull that speaker next.

mbelue likes this.
  4. mbelue

mbelue Supporting Member

Dec 11, 2010
    Get well soon. This will be a awesome cabinet when you can get to it.

5. bolophonic

bolophonic

Dec 10, 2009
    Durham, NC
    Two weeks into this thread and the OP can't be arsed to even take note of who made the speakers?!? I'm outta here.

smithcreek, rufus.K and carl h. like this.
  6. Being sick put a cramp on my plans.

Anyways, I figured out the reason behind the weird resistance reading on my meter....
    image.jpeg image.jpeg

8 ohm speaker, not even connected.
    image.jpeg
    This is what the rest of the speakers look like on the back.

7. TinIndian

TinIndian Supporting Member

Jan 25, 2011
    Micco Florida
    Wow. A Radio Shack speaker. Most likely came out of a stereo speaker system. Really like the duct tape holding the wires together too.

Definately track down an original speaker for that thing or at least a proper replacement.

8. rufus.K

rufus.K

Oct 18, 2015
    SoCal
    If you can, allow one speaker at a time to be connected to the jack, and play at low to moderate levels, and see if any of the 7 originals sound fuked up. (Disconnect/reconnect)
    Those are nice speakers

9. This was not a pro job, to say the least...

They are nice speakers. What I have done is the battery test with a 9 volt, and they all seemed to make sound, except for the disconnected one...but I need to balance the loads before I do any testing with my amp, which wants 4 ohms.

10. rufus.K

rufus.K

Oct 18, 2015
    SoCal
    Your amp will be fine with MORE than 4 ohms, less is bad. If the wires allow you to connect only one at a time, connect one at a time (7 times) and play at moderate to low volume to listen for other damage.

11. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD

Feb 20, 2005
    Syracuse NY
    Endorsing artist: Dingwall Guitars
    Heh.

Sometimes you can spot them from a mile away.

eukatheude and Passinwind like this.
  12. HaphAsSard

HaphAsSard

Dec 1, 2013
    Italia
    True for the overwhelming majority of solid-state amps (unless of course they happen to be 2-ohm stable, in which case your statement holds if "2" replaces "4"). Matching, and especially mismatching, cab impedance with valve amps is a more complicated matter and at least in part amp-specific.
    Or so I'm written. I'm both inexperienced and technically-challenged in one sorry package.
    What is your amp again?
    (Or rather, if my quick browse-up of your posts in this thread doesn't lie, ...anew?)

13. Bill Staudt

Bill Staudt Guest

Jun 18, 2002
    image-jpeg.jpg

The 137 is the manufacture code for CTS, 7321 is the date code, or 21st week of 1973. Your Ampeg cab was built in 1973.

14. kesslari

kesslari Groovin' with the Fusion Cats Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2007
    Santa Cruz Mtns, California
    Lark in the Morning Instructional Videos; Audix Microphones
    Buy replacement CTS SVT speaker
    Install.
    While you're at it, put the jackplate back on the outside where it belongs.
    Test. If other speakers are blown, fix or replace.
    Sell for @$500.
    Profit.
    Buy new, moveable-by-you speaker cabinet.
    Play music and enjoy.

Thunderscreech likes this.
  15. rufus.K

rufus.K

Oct 18, 2015
    SoCal
    Huh? What are you rambling about?

16. Bill Staudt

Bill Staudt Guest

Jun 18, 2002
    If your goal is to just get it working to sell and maximize your profit, you might consider the Jensen Mod 10-50 32. It will be quite a bit cheaper and easier to find. It will also work perfeclty with the original drivers, and in the bottom chamber will not really change the tone.

Thunderscreech and rufus.K like this.
  17. HaphAsSard

HaphAsSard

Dec 1, 2013
    Italia
    Your statement, "Your amp will be fine with MORE than 4 ohms, less is bad", is only valid for solid state amps, and not all of them for that matter. For a tube amp, a load of, say, 8 ohms if the amp only has 2 and 4 ohm taps is just as bad, and potentially worse, than a 2 ohm load for an amp with 4 and 8 ohm taps. It depends.
    Nice way of asking for clarification BTW.

dukeisdog likes this.
  18. I have a 120 watt Behringer (I know, I know) BX1200 combo as my practice amp. It sounds okay. I know it would probably be an indignity to hook it up to a cab like that, but it's all I got right now.
    I was about to ask what would be a good replacement speaker. Thank you. They look reasonably priced as well.
    This is my plan of action.

19. If you must test individually, skip the musical gear and plug in to a cheap boom box/stereo with removable speakers. It will send signal and who cares if it gets damaged.

Thunderscreech likes this.
  20. rufus.K

rufus.K

Oct 18, 2015
    SoCal
    Well, what you're saying is much clearer now.
    With valve amps 2x impedance is considered within safety, after that current limiting will occur and flyback voltage at OT becomes a consideration. Thus the low to moderate volume suggestion. I agree with you. I just couldn't make sense of your post, sorry I didn't protract further my reply at that time. brevity was was my intent, not snark.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 23, 2021