...So I bought a cheap ripoff

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Bigfeet, Dec 28, 2003.

1. After years of lusting after an unattainable musicman stingray... Since it was Blackmass anyway, I decided to buy myself a present. I went down to guitar center expecting to buy a new wah or overdrive, when I picked up the new OLP Stingray 5. I was impressed with the new model, and how well the elm resonated. Not only that, but for a bass in its price range not one fret buzzed. Compared to my Ibanez POS... it was love at first fret. Slap tones sang, and finger-style sounded like a pit bull being pimp-slapped by a gorilla. So I bought it... down sides, loose components and poor finish, but nothing some tightening and stickers cant fix. One thing to emphasize on is, the fingerboard is superb, especially the maple one. Now let me get to my point, if you want a music man tone and down mind acting like a grease monkey to fix it up the OLP Stingray is a great buy.
  2. Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Ive also heard great things about Ibanez ATK's as far as Musicman tones go. They can be had used for around $250 - $300.
  3. a week or so ago i saw a reggae band whose bassist was playing a natural finish one. i thought it was a 'ray 5 until i got close. it sounded really nice.