Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

So I bought a DOUGLAS bass for $49 bucks.....

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by de la mocha, Jan 8, 2006.

1. de la mocha

de la mocha

Aug 20, 2005
    NEW JERSEY
    I just need a cheap bass to keep inside the church instead of hauling my other $400 bass back and fourth. So I played it a few times in the store, I'm like "sure whatever.....".

It's just a generic P bass. It's wood, it has 4 strings.....

But when I played it during church service today, I was amazed at how crystal clear and clean it sounded! I mean, I am not lying, this bass sounds pretty good, and I'm just wondering how can this be happening?

I don't get it. It's just a cheap, generic $49 bass, and yet it sounds so loud and clear with a blues type of tone. The neck is fast and the action is low, and it feels nice and sturdy. I'm just wondering if I should install some seymore duncan bass lines in it or keep the same pick ups.

I tried to google douglas basses and found nothing. I can't believe how good this thing sounds for $49. It's no Fender, but how can they do that? I'm just mind boggled. I mean who are these people and how come their basses are so cheap?

I'll put pics up tommorow.....

2. Minger

Minger

Mar 15, 2004
    Rochester, NY
    I know Rondo has some, like this:

[​IMG]
    Which looks very nice

Well, its good that you got a bass like that for so cheap...they may not be all too well known, but I looked on rondo and they apaprently have a 5 pound guitar as well...which is like...wow.

3. RaTTeR

RaTTeR Don't forget your towel!

Dec 25, 2005
    Riverside, Ca
    Good sounding yet cheap basses are out there. My Series 10 was a $25 eBay beater that cleaned up nicely. When rehab'ing the body I wanted to see how it sounded and was amazed at how clear it was.

4. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Why would you put another pickup in it if the one that's in it delivers a nice clear tone? No, you should keep it as is if you like it. It's not going to improve it by a big enough degree unless the current one is noisy and crappy, which it obviously isn't.

Mr. Mocha (or may I call you De La?), you have just learned one of the undisputable truths about playing music...nothing matters about the instrument you play...it's what YOU bring to it. It sounded good because you play well and know how to get a good sound. Period. End of story.

Now where can I get one of those $25 Series 10's?

5. The great thing is that if you get really into a song, you can smash it, Nirvana-style, and only be out $49.00......

6. yes, this happens a lot in church...haha...

Just last night I was playing at church and did Peter Townshend windmill as I jumped off the stage :D

Not really...but, it could happen...

By the way...the Yamaha RBX-170 ($170 AU from e-bay delivered) that I have is what I use at church at the moment and it sounds GREAT! You'd be surprised how big and round that little thing sounds. It is a BLAST to play. :bassist:

7. jondog

jondog

Mar 14, 2002
    NYC metro area
    Did you get it off the wall at Rondo? They're the only store I know w/ Douglas basses and they've had a P copy on the wall for awhile. I think it might be one of their prototypes because it's the only one I've seen.

They can sell a good bass for $49 due to crazy cheap foreign labor and precise CNC machines that make the parts.

8. de la mocha

de la mocha

Aug 20, 2005
    NEW JERSEY
    I played the one on the wall, but the frets were a little sharp, but the one straight out the box in the back was perfect! Do you have more info on who makes these basses?

And what are CNC machines? I mean, I feel like I did something illegal buying this bass for only $49 bucks. I mean, it plays and sounds better then my cort curbow and that's just a crying shame. I really think that this is a glitch in the matrix.

I mean, this is impossible, it just shouldn't be!

9. klocwerk

klocwerk

May 19, 2005
    Somerville, MA
    CNC machines are basically big automated routers/drills that work off a computer model. They do the shaping of the bodies and necks on most high-production cheap instruments.

Like most cheap basses these days they're hit or miss. The hits are rarer than the misses, but it sounds like you found a diamond in the rough.

10. de la mocha

de la mocha

Aug 20, 2005
    NEW JERSEY
    I called rondo music, they said that DOUGLAS basses are made in China. can't find a web site though.....