1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

So I bought a precision bass and.....

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Linas, May 14, 2006.

1. Linas

Linas

Jan 6, 2005
    Chicago
    So i got this bass at a garage sale, for $215. I think its a fairly good deal. It is a japanese fender made in 1992. The neck pocket says PB-57 EX while the neck says PB-62 EX. Does this mean that either the neck or the body are not original components? Also, if i were to resell this bass, would i say its a 57 RI or a 62 RI?

Precision003.

Precision002.

Precision001.

2. ElBajista

ElBajista

Dec 13, 2005
    Sebring, FL
    If the neck has decent frets and adjustability, I'd say that was a great deal! Good find!

If you were to resell the bass, I'd simply say that the body is a 57 while the neck is a PB-62 EX.

3. markjazzbassist

markjazzbassist Supporting Member

Apr 19, 2005
    Cleveland, OH
    nice pickup

4. Linas

Linas

Jan 6, 2005
    Chicago
    It was an EMG select already took it out, im going to replace it with something more vintagey. Anyone want it for cheap? So does this mean that the neck and body never came out of the factory together, at one point someone changed either part?

5. mondogarage

mondogarage

Nov 29, 2005
    Longmont, CO
    Well, that's definitely not a stock bridge...is that a Badass on there? It looks like a well constructed parts bass, basically. Like someone with a 57 reish and a 62 reish combined them. The pickups and bridge weren't original, so there's no reason to believe the neck and body were both original pieces.

Still, looks like a helluva deal at that price. But I don't know how you could ever advertise it as more than a combination of the two.

6. Linas

Linas

Jan 6, 2005
    Chicago
    The bridge probably is original, it is just your standard looking fender bridge. The flash kinda makes the saddles look bigger though. Im gona see how i like it with new pickups, since i have never really spent more than a few minutes in guitar center with a p bass. But if i dont like it, ile most likely sell it for parts.

7. Stu L.

Stu L.

Nov 27, 2001
    Corsicana, Texas
    Uh, PM me if you decide to ;)

8. s-curl

s-curl

Mar 16, 2006
    Los Angeles, CA
    I'd bet they're original components. CIJ's are like that. Just take a look at the model numbers.

http://www.ishibashi-music.com/fenderjp/

In either case, 13 hole tort pickguard means it isn't an authentic '57 RI, although the CIJ '57's are so equipped.

9. zombywoof5050

zombywoof5050

Dec 20, 2001
    A '57 reissue pickguard should be gold anodized aluminum, and the fingerboard would be maple.

The features on that bass (most notably the rosewood fingerboard and tort guard) make it more in the style of a '62.

10. Linas

Linas

Jan 6, 2005
    Chicago
    What is the difference between a 57 and a 62 body, if any at all. I know the 57 has less holes for the pickguard.

11. pickles

pickles Gold Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    I'd bet its a stock MIJ '62 RI, and that they just use the same body part for 57 and 62. A 57 would have the gold guard, so I don't think its a hybrid or frankenfender. Looks like the real deal, and a great deal.

I know you said you wanted a vintagey pickup, but I have the MIA version of this exact bass, and I just dropped in a seymour duncan "hot" for P-bass ... and its just an amazing rock bass now. Highly reccomended if you are a roundwound string guy.

If you want the USA '62 RI pickup you can get them from musicains friend for about $60.

12. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Probably not original to each other. The neck and body should be stamped with the same model number.

The '57 should have a maple fretboard, whereas the '62 was the earliest rosewood reissue.