So I bought a ring for my girlfriend...

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by 43% burnt, Dec 19, 2005.

1. 43% burnt

43% burnt an actor who wants to run the whole show

May 4, 2004
    Bridgeport, CT
    I bought her a really nice diamond promise ring.

It's not in the cards financially for me to get her a proper engagement ring this xmas, and she knows it...But I think she's still kinda hoping this xmas she'll get the BIG one.

Anyways, I've been trying very hard to convince her there will be no such present coming this don't get your hopes up ;). So far I don't think she knows. I even have a few decoy presents under the tree to keep her curious.

Now I need to come up with a slick way to give it to her - So she'll be extra surprised. I thought about wrapping it in a huge box and tons of tissue paper, but thats the best i've come up with so far. Since its not a formal engagement ring I don't wanna go too crazy...any ideas/suggestions?
  2. Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    Get her a cheap blender and put the ring inside. Trust, there'll be fireworks that night. Oh wait, that's my Independence Day gift idea! :D Seriously, try that one. Or, if you have a car, put it in your glove compartment, put it on top, take her for a ride and ask her to hand you something out of there. You might have to pull over somewhere you sexmachine, you! ;)
  3. Man I know the feeling. Been there before. I just flat out gave it to my gf, only after serenading her with my bass ;) . Maybe sticking it in her stocking?
  4. fr0me0

Dec 7, 2004
    Winnipeg Canada
    I like that Idea, might work better with a vaccum though, oohh or cookware
  5. fr0me0

Dec 7, 2004
    Winnipeg Canada
    or maybe you can put it in an iron somehow
  6. AuG

May 22, 2005
    Fort Collins, CO
    Sneak it in the dishwasher maybe?

No I like the glove box idea. Or maybe just under her pillow at night. That way, you won't have any delays in getting home to....uh....nevermind.

7. djcruse

Jun 3, 2002
    Norwood, MA
    No need to try and be clever. I suggest giving her all her holiday presents first. Then, tell her there's one more. You get down on one knee, tell her how much she means to you, and give her the ring.

Just like a bass line, sometimes simple is the way to go.
  8. Bob Clayton

Bob Clayton Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 14, 2001
    Deptford, NJ
    let's just hope she doesn't read TB

9. Ray-man

Ray-man Guest

Sep 10, 2005
    Regardless of its size, a diamond means one thing and one thing only. Call it what it is, and ask her to marry you when you give it to her. If you must, tell her you'll buy her a bigger one when you can afford it, but if she's like my wife, she'll love it for what it is - a symbol of the day you asked her to be your wife.

If she doesn't, throw dog poop on her shoes.
  10. Emerald_gasH

Sep 17, 2000

agreed...a lot can go wrong when you try to be clever...might as well make it nice n simple...

bwahahhaha nice...
  11. cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002
    Take it back before it ruins your life.
  12. jive1

jive1 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 16, 2003
    Owner/Retailer: Jive Sound

Promise ring = smaller engagement ring

There's no size requirement for an engagement ring. There's been plenty of happy marriages that began with a little glass-like chip glued a ring.

And don't make this the warm-up to the real engagement or proposal. You don't need to go through it twice, and if your lady goes through it twice it will lose meaning. Do it once, and do it sincerely. As they say, it's not the bass but the player. Give her the ring, whatever it is. She's more concerned about the person giving it to her.
  13. I know some people who've given their girlfriends promise rings. I don't much understand the point of an engagement/engagement ring and a promisement(?)/promise ring makes no sense to me. Plus, you'll have to buy two diamond rings and a wedding ring.
  14. Ray-man

Ray-man Guest

Sep 10, 2005
    Stop it, jive. You're gonna make me cry. ;)
  15. Word. If she gets all up in arms about how cheap it is, or whatever, then she's fickle. IMO.

16. Far out you guys are materialistic!

A promise ring,
    An engagement ring
    A wedding ring
    An eternity ring
    And a sore ring from too much shopping?

A symbol is all thats needed and thing is - diamonds = marraige.
    Try to get one that doesn't have any sharp edges, that way she'll be able to wear it at work to show everyone, in her sleep, and when you have kids......ha ha ha ha ha ha ha.

My wife and I never got engaged - we just got married.
    No regrets - best thing I ever did.
  17. Since we are on the topic, is there a way to judge how much you should spend on an engangement ring? I have read somewhere on the net that usually its around 1-2 months pay!!!

And the ring to propose is actually the engagement ring? And the wedding rings are cheaper ones that you wear everyday? Someone please educate me!

Issit worth the surprise to pick the propose rings while risking the incompability of the size and also the design? Since some of my friends here actually bought the diamond rings together with their wife.
  18. Mark Wilson

Mark Wilson Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jan 12, 2005
    Toronto, Ontario
    Endorsing Artist: Elixir® Strings
    I heard this commercial on the radio.

It was a married couple and it was like "it's Christmas morning, and your wife goes down to make you a nice warm cup of coffee, without waking you up. She opens the coffee can, and inside is a box with a ring inside"

I thought that was a clever idea.

Maybe it'll help spark an idea?
    haha Good luck!

19. 43% burnt

43% burnt an actor who wants to run the whole show

May 4, 2004
    Bridgeport, CT
    Great suggestions guys! I think it'll probably mean more to her if i give it to her instaed of hiding it in another present or something.

I was thinking simple probably is the way to go...It's already a big deal in and of itself.

Heres a bit of a problem though, i didn't get it sized because I don't know what her ring size is. She never wears rings, so I couldn't raid her jewelery box to figure it out. So unless i can measure her finger in her sleep without waking her up - It probably won't fit her until we go get it sized. :(
  20. Ray-man

Ray-man Guest

Sep 10, 2005
    Not a big deal at all. Believe me, she won't care. Get it sized later, after the glow of the moment has faded a bit.

And don't forget the dog poop thing if she tells you to stuff it....