Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

So I bought an Alembic today!!!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by funkedupbass, Jul 15, 2005.

1. I was at the local music store today and found a used Alembic Distillate 4 used for 1250.00, played it and bought it...sounds sooo amazing. Now I just gotta figure what the knobs do exactly.
    I know the volume and tone, and the switch for active/passive, but theres some rotating knob that does something as well as 2 other switches....messed around with them and stuck with what sounds best. It even sounds just as great passive as active. So beautiful, and sounds so smooth.
    WOOHOO!!
    -eric

2. A9X

A9X

Dec 27, 2003
    Sinny, Oztraya
    Congrats and welcome to the Alembic club. Distillates are great basses. My first Alembic was a Distillate, but as it went about 20 years ago, I don't recall exactly the control configuration. The front (rotary) switch is the pickup selector, the knob closest to the bridge the volume, the other is the low pass filter and one of the toggles, the Q switch. The other two I don't recall, but there isn't an active/passive switch. All Alembics are active all the time to the best of my knowledge.
    Here is an explanation of how the low pass filter and Q controls work.

There's an Alembic forum too that can provide further info, support, build records (if it didn't come with the wood card) and registration.

Do you have any pix?

3. Broach_insound

Broach_insound

Jan 25, 2005
    New York
    oooooooooh I wish I bought that......PIcs?

4. alembicfive

alembicfive

Jan 17, 2003
    USA
    Sounds like you have a early Distillate model. I have seen photos of ones with the controls you mention. I am not sure what that rotary knob does. There might be some info on the Alembic site. My Distillate was built in '90 (I think they stopped making them not much after that). The controls on mine are: Volume, Tone, Pick-up Selector, Bass Cut-Boost switch, Treble Cut-Boost switch and the Famous "Q" switch (see photo). BTY, congrats :hyper: ! They are great basses. I still love mine as much as the day I got it.

[​IMG]

5. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

All the best with it! :bassist:

6. burk48237

burk48237 Supporting Member

Nov 22, 2004
    Oak Park, MI
    Good luck, that is an excellent price, enjoy.
    Steve B

7. I've recently bought an Alembic a Stanley Clarke model.they are without doubt the best basses that you can buy.Check out the Alembic website especially the club site. :hyper:

8. alembic 5- yea mine was built in '84, the switches look similar although the rotary pickup selector I believe it is on the bottom horn and there's an led next to the input when it's plugged in.

I'm absolutely inthralled with this bass, absolutely love the string tension, smoothness, and sound of the wood. The top looks walnut, but it seems to have a reddish quality to it, so makes me second guess myself.. When the girlfriend gets back from boston on wed. I can put some pics up, since she had the digital camera with her. There are some minor dings in it, but I think I enjoy them being a 21 year old bass, it's 2 years older than me...wow.

Looks like I have a lot of tome to spend on their website.
    Sooo exstatic.
    -eric

9. forgot to ask; how long does the battery last in these basses?
    sounds like buttah.
    -eric

10. WillPlay4Food

WillPlay4Food Now With More Metal! Staff Member Supporting Member

Apr 9, 2002
    Orbiting HQ
    So, let me ask you, where does the LED go when it's not plugged in? :eyebrow: Is this part of the Alembic mystique?

j/k man, that sounds like a great score!

11. alembic76407

alembic76407

Apr 29, 2004
    Oklahoma
    go to alembic.com and join that club too, you can ask Mica or Val for the build record just give them the Serial # of your bass, and be sure to register your bass with Alembic as the new owner. you will never be the same, now that you have an Alembic !!

David T

12. Hi, :hyper: the batteries seem to last quite a long time.I've read on their website that they last for about a year.I do a lot of playing with mine - about 4/5 hours per day and the duracell is still going strong after 3 months.My warwick used to last about a month.

13. alembicfive

alembicfive

Jan 17, 2003
    USA
    When I was on the road and playing 6 nights a week, I would change the pre-amp battery (single 9V) every 6-months. I most likely could have held out a few more months before changing.

Now the four 9V batteries for the neck LEDs is a whole other stories. Those would only last me about one month. I should have had Alembic put a on/off switch rather then the LEDs always on when plugged in.

14. My co-worker/boss described it perfectly. It's magical in every aspect. He saw it because its here at work with me, of course I brought it to work, didn't think twice.
    -eric