Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

So, I bought an E-bow today.

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Freaky Fender, Apr 15, 2004.

1. I spent the Easter money I got from various relitives who didn't see me for christmas (belated christmas money rules), and I went to guitar center today and bought an E-bow. So far, my thoughts on it are it's very versitile. It's perfect for my way of producing and adding tracks to music. I have to admit though, I'm mainly gonna be using it on guitar, since I'm writing more songs on it than I do on bass... Sorry sorry. I still love bass, it's just, if I'm going to be preforming the songs I wrote, I'd rather play them on guitar so I know how to play them. Anyway, I really like mine, the only thing though is that it's hard to position is just right to get a clean sound, and not that creamy overdrive it gives off. Anybody else have one?

2. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    they are neat. combined with some effects, you can make some great filler noise

3. Im a sock

Im a sock

Dec 23, 2002
    Central MA
    i = jealous.

by the way, WR, have you ever seen the berklee tower of power band?

4. Jimbo

Jimbo

Dec 4, 2000
    Philadelphia, PA
    yeah i got an e-bow i love the thing. i agree, that i find it difficult to find the sweet spot right off the bat everytime i use it on bass. i've toyed around with it on my firend's guitar is really is a lot easier. all in all, fun thing to play with.

-jimbo

5. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Ontario
    What do they do? I've seen a couple in some stores, but I've never gotten to try one out.

6. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    I'd consider it if I had money. I like ambient floaty noises in my music, so an E bow would be cool. If anyone wants to give me one for free that's cool too.

7. TimothyGroovy

TimothyGroovy Supporting Member Commercial User

Aug 3, 2000
    Hong Kong
    Owner: Uni••Sound
    I have played the E-bow which belong to my brother, who is guitarst, follow what Freaky Fender and Jimbo said, it is difficult to find the sweet pot from the bass. IMO, I don't feel interests in E-bow :rolleyes:, I have never pick it up after the first try. MaybeI should try it later and it is just my thoughts.

8. xush

xush

Jul 4, 2001
    mobile AL
    Our guitarist and singer both use ebows pretty often. She used to play cello, so she likes the similar tones the ebow makes possible.

Anstrom with ebow

I used to like throwing some heavy effects on, especially pitch-shifting- nothing quite like ebowing some chords.

Big Country was a huge influence on me as far as checking out the ebow. Those guys really made it sing. Robin from the Cocteau Twins also used it a lot.
    Mine got dropped on a cement floor, cracked the case. I'm still trying to figure out how to make a 'fingermounted' unit out of it.

On bass, it seems like you have to start the string yourself usually; pull it a little with your fretting finger just to get it going. I find the sweetspot for sustaining it is right over the pickup like on a guitar.

9. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    I've got the old school black eBow, and I love it. I kep meaning to pick up one of the new grey ones with multiple settings--i'd love to use the harmonic setting on the octave strings on my 8 string fretless!

Here are a couple of eBow tracks I've recorded over the years:

This one is eBow on my US Curbow fretless 4 string
    http://www.mindspring.com/~jshew2/tunes/solo/Sand.mp3

This one is on my fretted 5 string US Curbow fretted with TI Jazz Flats (EADGC).
    http://www.mindspring.com/~jshew2/tunes/solo/Savannah.mp3

I've found that certain strings work better than others, and I don't particularly care for the way steel strings sound with the eBow.

It takes some practice, but once you get it down, it's a lot of fun. eBow plus loops = serious entertainment. :D

10. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Ontario
    What do they doooo? :crying: No one's answering!

By the by, bassmonkee...that Savannah recording is phenomenal. Absolutely amazing.

11. xush

xush

Jul 4, 2001
    mobile AL
    basically, you've got a 9v battery powering an LED that you point at the pickup.
    This makes the string vibrate, so you have a droning effect much like bowing a string.

it's all right here:
    http://www.e-bow.com/ebow/brochure.htm

12. Davehenning

Davehenning

Aug 9, 2001
    Los Angeles

It is a 9V battery powered magnet.

The most amazing preformance I ever saw with an ebow was Michael Manring at a clinic he gave at Berklee about ten years ago. He used two ebows at the same time! One to drone the lower strings and the other to play the melody of the song on the d and g strings. The song was called "Adhan" IIRC.