Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

So I bought my Ric at Sam Ash....

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by 4string4ever, Aug 13, 2004.

1. 4string4ever

4string4ever Guest

Apr 18, 2004
    Orlando, Florida
    The case was kinda scratched up, but I figured "hell, I'll scratch it up anyway". So I let it go. When I was negotiating with the sales nerd, he told me that if I wanted a jetglo, it would cost more than the fireglo because Rickenbacker charges more for it. I settled for the fireglo, we finally agreed on a price and I took my baby home. I notice later that there were nicks where some dumbass must have scratched the finish while using a pick. I check Rickenbacker's website, and lo and behold, jetglo and fireglo are both considered standard colors. I call Rickenbacker, and am told that there is no cost difference between the two. Being 6 kinds of pissed off, I call Sam Ash's corporate office and tell the receptionist that I want to complain about the way my local Sam Ash does business. She tells me "oh, I'll let you tell that to Paul".

Paul picks up and answers his phone "Paul Ash"!! I thought "wow, Ash takes calls". I told him my story, he investigated, and called me back to tell me a store in Hollywood has 2 jetglos, one still in the box and it would be shipped to my local store immediately.

I don't like the way those dicks in the store do business, but I have to give Paul Ash alot of credit for taking care of me personally.

By the way, the sales manager at my local store is less than pleased and tried very hard not to let it show......... :D

2. josh_m

josh_m

May 5, 2004
    Davie, Fl
    I hate shopping there but I have to say when you have a complaint it gets handled well. I was there playing a few Jazzes and the sales guy comes in and starts showing off an amp, not a problem, except it was the one right next to mine when there were others in the room, he also ignore me when I walked in, I asked him a question and he turned his back. I called corporate, talked to Paul and he asked for my number, a few minutes later the store manager calls me apologizing saying "actions will be taken."

3. 4string4ever

4string4ever Guest

Apr 18, 2004
    Orlando, Florida
    Yeah, Paul is one of those hands-on guys. He's the only reason I'll ever go back there for anything. I guess if you follow the simple rule of "watch your back" when you go in there, you'll be ok.

4. srxplayer

srxplayer

May 19, 2004
    Highland, CA
    every time I go there I notice the guitars always look hammered. It has always turned me off to Sam Ash stores. I have never purchased anything at a Sam Ash.

The slaes staff always seems very apathetic.

Thats good to hear that Paul Ash will handle things though.

5. slugworth

slugworth Banned

Jun 12, 2003
    So. Calif.
    You gotta admire a home office fathead that gets on the
    front lines, rolls up his sleeve and gets to work instead of
    being out on the links and the 19th hole...Kinda like the
    airline executive that was on a flight serving coffee to
    his passengers...People with that kind of integrity get
    things done...Good for you!

Cheers,
    Slug

6. Its amazing what the right call to the right person can accomplish.

Good for you sticking to your guns till you got what you really wanted.

7. DEVILMAN

DEVILMAN

Nov 24, 2001
    New York,NY
  8. Toasted

Toasted

May 26, 2003
    Leeds, UK
    Result! Good man :)

9. I've had troubles with sam ash sales guys myself, i got a hartke 410 tp from there a while ago, it had a blown speaker, brought it back there and the sales man said nothing was wrong with the speaker. he even took a phone call while i was trying to reporduce the problem. i haven't took it to courprate yet, but i'm really thinking about doing that.

10. 4string4ever

4string4ever Guest

Apr 18, 2004
    Orlando, Florida
    When it arrives.....

11. this is in no way defending poor service but i feel as though it should be said.

i used to work for Sam Ash.
    they run the business terribly and the customer gets **** on because of it.

the reason that salesmen are pushy and rude is because they only get paid %12 of %10 of the sales price. for a $1000 bass they get $12. that's if they sell it without marking it down. any and all discounts that a salesman gives you comes out of their personal commission.

to make matters worse, any return what-so-ever comes out of their pay check so they do whatever they can to not allow you to return it.

as for the instruments being in terrible shape they are told not to waste strings or time (which they are not paid for) fixing the instruments. they should sell the instrument and then get the customer to pay for a set up from the Sam Ash repair guy.

it's a nightmare and i find it best to never shop there.

12. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Ontario
    You buy an instrument, and they don't even give you a free setup? What a hunk 'o crap. The store where I bought my fretless offered a free setup, but their tech doesn't work in house, and I'm pretty good at that stuff, so I did it myself. My buddy bought a guitar from a local store and there was an issue with it, and the store did a whole bunch of adjustments over time to fix the problem -- all free of charge.

If anything, this topic basically advised me to never shop at Sam Ash, and that local stores really are superior.

13. But what's worse, Sam Ash or Guitar Center?

14. L-1329

L-1329

Aug 8, 2004
    I'd only go to those shops to try something out, but would never buy a bass there. I can always find a bass, new in the box and never played or abused, from a number of online retailers. The prices are usually very good if not better than Ash or GC, and there are no battle scars on the bass. When it gets here a trip to a real tech for an initial setup and I'm one happy camper. Ash and GC would have to drop at least $100 off from what I could find elsewhere, for being a used (abused) bass, before I'd consider buying one there, and even then I'd rather pay more for a pristine bass instead.

15. Ozzyman

Ozzyman

Jul 21, 2004
    In my town I like G**tar Center better because they have a much bigger selection of quality basses (not some $200 piece of crap)
    But I can almost never hear myself at G**tar Center unless I go there at offhour time.

16. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Ontario
    From what I've heard on the boards, it seems GC's way better -- the staff at Sam Ash just seems abusive, and that's if they even care enough to BE abusive.

17. McHack

McHack

Jul 29, 2003
    Central Ohio!
    I've had a few decent experiences at GC, only one at Sam Ash. The SA here in Columbus, just doesn't give a good vibe... I've never bought ANYTHING, from SA... The good thing is, they're just down the street from each other, so there's really no need to go to SA,,, unless you're hard up for Hartke equipment.